Author Topic: Diary week ending 4th February 2024  (Read 1597 times)

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary week ending 4th February 2024
« Reply #27 on: Friday 02 February 24 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Yes, sorry I did mean landscape artist! In my brain that’s what o wrote but clearly my fingers don’t match my thoughts 😂😂.
Well, I’m sure like me you’ll be shouting at the TV about their daft decisions! This weeks final choice wasn’t too bad..
Some of the submissions were really good but they don’t seem to like traditional ones always… I’ll be interested to hear what you think…

And yes the winner of The Portrait Artist created a beautiful painting of Jane Goodall who is still a very feisty lady! I thought they hit it off very well which is important when you’re painting something so personal.

Caroline

Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 03 February 24 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Well Caroline,  I've watched Landscape Artist and it wasn't what I expected. Can I just check that we're talking about the same one - episode 4 filmed at Stonehaven? If so, from what my friend said I thought I had the winner pegged from the outset and all the way through to the announcement I was expecting the same. I was actually quite pleased about the winner, I rather liked it. But the one I thought it was going to be was in my opinion, ridiculous. Sorry to be so vague, I just want to avoid any spoilers for anyone else!

Have done rather a lot of gardening today, probably too much. Was taking advantage of a mild sunny day and lack of rain for once. Aiming to have a soak in the bath. 
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 04 February 24 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps the last post of this week’s diary.

Washing up after tea ,I thought as I washed a stainless steel grater, gosh I have had that a long time —— bought the end of 1964 with a copper bottomed stainless  steel frying pan.
So 60 years at the end of this year.
Both in regular use, the frying pan on special offer at 30/- ie £1-50.
The grater at 16/- .
Where have the years gone——
We had a topic some time ago re things in regular use that are old .

Just enjoying a cup of M&S Countess Grey tea,very scented- more so than Earl Grey.
Well bed calls and a good book ,well as far as historical accuracy goes but the use of modern day phrases is at odds with the fact the book is of the 1400’s .
Joanna of Spain sister to Katherine of Aragon saying things like “ I am gutted” ,
when she finds her husband Philip The Fair “ dallying “ with a wench!

An urgent phone call from my little friend ,who I could see in her kitchen when I got off the bus after shopping this morning ( son at head office so my trolley had a good outing .

Well off to bed.
Hope all are safe and in good spirits .
Viktoria.