Author Topic: Diary week ending 4th February 2024  (Read 1594 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Diary week ending 4th February 2024
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 01 February 24 11:59 GMT (UK) »
First of February, so the months are moving on towards Spring now and actually the weather down here in Devon has been quite mild, so we haven't need to put the heating on during the day.  A bright sunny day today so far and the Spring bulbs are shooting up.  The primroses are already looking cheerful around the garden and my husband is busy planning his veg patch.  It's only small, but he is going to try potatoes this year.  Carrots are hopeless - the ground is too stony and they grow into forked shapes which makes them difficult to prepare for the pan. 

It's the season of Annual General Meetings, and tonight it's the turn of the Local History Society.  After a talk about some interesting finds discovered during restoration work on the church building there will, of course be "light refreshments".  Nothing happens in this village without refreshments of some sort.  Coffee and Cake meetings are regular and well attended occasions, usually in favour of some local charity.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 01 February 24 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Gillg
Committee meetings,  years ago when I was on committees we always bought choc covered  digestives, the good ones, they became known as committee biscuits, this was in the days when there would be 6 or do willing mums running  a playgroup .

Here in Essex it is a beautiful day, sun out, washing out and  I am a happy bunny except I have had a large tooth extracted earlier, dentist told me to take  easy, so I am, don't need telling  twice by them who know..

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 February 24 16:39 GMT (UK) »
1st February = White Rabbits uttered first thing before any other words are spoken, otherwise bad luck visits.

Nothing has gone to plan this week.  As soon as Phoebe the sun shows her face I always have an urge to clean something and this last week when the sun came out I decided the carpet needed a steam clean.   It hasn't been steam cleaned, instead I've had a couple of days changing  my landline provider.  It started earlier this week when a young man from the village invited me to join the local group providing a cheap and faster broadband.  The local engineer arrived the next day and he spent quite a while organising the technicalities.  I mentioned that I spent my time on my genealogy hobby and was quite proud that I'd got one line back to 1066.  lol - he has the same hobby but he's gone back to his line in France and the Battle of Ajincourt, which was in the mid  1400s.

This modern method of treating customers as though we are personal friends is defeating me.  I can hear their personal names very clearly but who their employers are who pay their wages, I have no idea due to the emphasis on their personal names and muted sound for their wage payers.

"This is Sarah of ... "(garble)
"Would you repeat that please"?
"This is is Sarah of (garble).

I much prefer  the older method which lets the person on the other end of the phone get used to a different dialect:  "Good morning, I'm calling from Joe Blogg Brothers Ltd ...."

Today I had another young lady contact me who I assume is from my new provider, Or maybe she's from the now defunct provider.  As there are so many people wanting to scam the rest of the world for money, I apologised to her and explained that as I couldn't understand what she was saying , she needed to contact me by snail mail.

Of the four jigsaw puzzles that needed attention after Christmas Day I have finished one,,, and am in the middle of scratching my head over the second puzzle.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 01 February 24 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Have you been to Agincourt Rene?
We were surprised how small the battlefield was, a long meadow .
A good museum ,our children were fascinated and horrified by the huge cauldrons ,used to boil the dead Knights .
The knights took their own with them so their clean and sterile bones could be kept and then buried in the church near where they had lived or even in the grounds of their castles if there was a church there ,many also in their local church.

To imagine the sound of thousands  of arrows from the English ( Probably Welsh) ,like a swarm of angry bees.
Of course ,France was the losing side so there was a sort of bias. ::)
Not been to Poitiers but Crecy was interesting .
“ Once more into the breech dear friends” or is it breach ?
A sunny cool day here but I have not been out ,busy sewing.
Dark colours so not easy .

On my own today so an easy tea Jacket Potato with cheese and beans and salad.

Daughter had a visit from the brand’s big wigs, they can be very difficult so she was a little apprehensive but all went very well.

Back to the sewing .
Hope all are alright,given some are not very well.

Must look in the garden for signs of Spring ,there are crowds of bluebells but not our native ones ,must be the Spanish interlopers!
Just reading a book about Katherine of Aragon’s older sister Johanna , she became Queen of Spain on her parents’ death.
Her husband ,Philip The Fair was from Flanders and his heart is in Bruges Cathedral.
We were there once but it was closed for a short while as Queen Fabiola of Belgium was putting white roses by his memorial .
We did nor see her ,there were barricades and screens as it was a private visit.

So sad about the attack on the little family , such injuries and probably disfigurement .

Well Pointless calls , so Cheerio .
Look after yourselves folks.
Viktoria.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 01 February 24 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Have you been to Agincourt Rene?
We were surprised how small the battlefield was, a long meadow .
A good museum ,our children were fascinated and horrified by the huge cauldrons ,used to boil the dead Knights .
The knights took their own with them so their clean and sterile bones could be kept and then buried in the church near where they had lived or even in the grounds of their castles if there was a church there ,many also in their local church.

To imagine the sound of thousands  of arrows from the English ( Probably Welsh) ,like a swarm of angry bees.

Viktoria.

My father used to take us to museums.  The most interesting items we saw was the whale bones hung from the ceiling in one of Hull's museums and the others were the British Crown Jewels and the suit of armour once belonging to  King Henry VIII - judging from the codpiece he was very proud of his own crown jewels  lol

In later years OH and I visited museums and by comparison our monarch's crown jewels, are far better than others. 

When we lived in France we were only an hour's drive from Paris and Fontainebleau Palace, where our toddler was immensely interested in the shoal of  koi carp that congregated in one spot and, when we visited, a duck was walking across their backs..
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 01 February 24 21:33 GMT (UK) »
The Russian Crown Jewels are spectacular , when at college we could go to zManchester’s Central Library, look things up for our Thesis.
Not sure how but I came across a book all about them.
Possibly because my friend decided to use jewellery as her subject and I suggested a rather more definite aspect and she decided on using The Crown Jewels as her subject .Possibly then when I saw the Russian ones.
They were staggering , not so much meaning or history behind them as ours .

Emeralds !phew!
What wealth.
Viktoria.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 01 February 24 21:45 GMT (UK) »
The Russian Crown Jewels are spectacular , when at college we could go to zManchester’s Central Library, look things up for our Thesis.
Not sure how but I came across a book all about them.
Possibly because my friend decided to use jewellery as her subject and I suggested a rather more definite aspect and she decided on using The Crown Jewels as her subject .Possibly then when I saw the Russian ones.
They were staggering , not so much meaning or history behind them as ours .

Emeralds !phew!
What wealth.
Viktoria.

So you saw them in a book.   Quite a lot of Russian jewellery came across to the UK when Russians fled from the Bolshevics and pieces keep popping up on the Antique Road Show.

What I think peculiar is gold from different countries are different shades even if they are the same carat

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 02 February 24 00:03 GMT (UK) »
Many items in our Royalty’s personal collections are from Russia.
Well there were family connections.
The Tsarina was Queen Victoria’s grand daughter,her mother was Princess Alice ,married to the Grand Duke of Hesse and Rhine.
Alice was the grandmother of Louis Mountbatten and Great grandmother of of Prince Philip.
Philip’s mother was sister to Lord Mountbatten.

Viktoria,

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 02 February 24 06:36 GMT (UK) »

What I think peculiar is gold from different countries are different shades even if they are the same carat

Pure gold is slightly reddish yellow in colour, but coloured gold can come in a variety of different colours by alloying it with different elements.
Alloys with silver and copper in various proportions, producing white, yellow, green and red golds. These are typically malleable alloys.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)