Author Topic: Roy family of Falkirk, Dunipace, and Larbert  (Read 222 times)

Offline RobbMorrow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Roy family of Falkirk, Dunipace, and Larbert
« on: Monday 29 January 24 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Hey all,
I hope everyone's well! I've hit the 'brick wall' in my research on my grandmother's family, the Roys. I've traced them back to Lachlan Roy (b.1762 in Dunipace, to Peter Roy and Hellen Jack) and Jean Richardson (b.1759 to John Richardson and Isabel Kincaid). I've been able to trace the Kincaid line back to Isabel's parents, John Kincaid (born ???) and Alison/Elison Duncan (b.1681 to John Duncan and Issobell Lowry). But it's the Roys I'm hoping to focus on.

I understand that all records don't survive, and I'm lucky to have gotten as far back as I have (I'm used to a lack of records, the other side of my family being in Ireland!). But I can't seem to get past my Roy wall, and was just wondering if anyone on here has any tips or has maybe researched this line themselves?

I'm unsure as to whether I've found the marriage record for Lachlan Roy's parents (Peter Roy and Hellen Jack). I've read that the names Peter and Patrick can be interchangeable, and I've found a marriage record for Patrick Roy and Hellen Jack in 1761, which fits the timeframe, but it's in the parish of Perth, which is confusing. Either my folks moved from Perth to Dunipace, or these are the wrong people with oddly coincidental names and a date of marriage which would fit for Lachlan's birth a year later.

I've found a possible birth record for Hellen Jack (1732, in Stirlingshire) to Adam Jack and Margaret Millar, but as yet I've had no luck with Peter (or Patrick?) Roy. There are men of that name born in Perthshire, but I've got no real ways of narrowing them down; and I've scoured ScotlandsPeople.

Two possibilities are possibly Peter Roy, b.1734 in Moneydie to James Roy and Janet Ireland, OR Patrick Roy, b.1732 in Scone to William Roy. But it just seems odd, since there are Roys in that area of Stirlingshire (that Lachlan was born) right back to the 17th century.

I'm not sure whether I'm just being too careful, or if it's a case of missing records.
Any help would be so gladly appreciated, and thanks so much for taking the time to read all of this.
Cheers!
Robb Morrow.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Roy family of Falkirk, Dunipace, and Larbert
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 January 24 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Just for information, some of which you may have?

PETER ROY/HELLEN JACK

DUNIPACE
LACHLAN 4/04/1762
ANN 11/09/1763
HELLEN 15/07/1765
JEAN 12/04/1767

DENNY
PETER 5/05/1771
WILLIAM 28/03/1773

NOTE = PETER ROY/ANN GUTHRIE HAD A SON JOHN 29/09/1760 - DUNIPACE

Plus = PETER ROY/ELIZABETH GILCHRIST HAD A DAUGHTER MARGARET 29/11/1775 – DENNY

PATRICK ROY   MARRIED    ANN GUTHRY   22/07/1759   TIBBERMORE, PERTHSHIRE
PATRICK ROY   MARRIED   HELEN JACK   10/01/1761   PERTH

PATRICK ROY   MARRIED   ELIZABETH GILCHRIST   10/09/1774   DENNY

ROY   PATRICK   DIED NO AGE 21/02/1791   DUNIPACE

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 January 24 11:11 GMT (UK) »
I'm guessing that Peter/Patrick first married Ann, the record below was likely Banns for him in Perth.

PATRICK ROY
ANN GUTHRIE
21/07/1759
PERTH

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 January 24 12:11 GMT (UK) »
I do not see any other records, other than the ones you posted, but It might be worth looking at the records you think most likely on SP, however none seem obvious.

Marriage – Peters first son was John.
ROY   JOHN   MARGARET SIMSON   05/10/1718   FOWLIS EASTER
ROY   JOHN   MARGARET SIMSON   28/09/1718   LUNDIE AND FOWLIS
ROY   JOHN   MARG. SIMSON   28/09/1718   LIFF, BENVIE AND INVERGOWRIE

ROY   PETER   JNO. ROY/   29/12/1723   LIFF, BENVIE AND INVERGOWRIE, ANCUS

Benvie, Angus is 14 NE of Perth/ Fowlis 13 miles

Others there on SP father John/Jno

John, Janet 8/05/1720, JEAN 3/02/1722.

JAMES ROY   BANNS   JANET IRELAND   07/07/1728   TIBBERMORE

JAMES ROY   MARRIAGE   JANET IRELAND   23/07/1728   MONEYDIE

ROY   PETER   JAMES ROY/JANET IRELAND   07/04/1734   MONEYDIE

Others there on SP.

Janet 1729, John 1732, Jean 1738

WILLIAM ROY   MARRIED   JEAN MCCRABIE   01/11/1727   SCONE

ROY   PATRICK   WILLIAM ROY   10/12/1732   SCONE

Others there on SP but several others elsewhere in County only father noted?

John 1728, Anna 1730

Colin

Offline RobbMorrow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 February 24 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very, very much for your time and your analysis, Colin! It is massively appreciated and it's shed a lot of light on this for me! I'm still searching, and I don't know if I can put my finger on which one it is for definite.

I'm leaning towards it being either James Roy & Janet Ireland, or William Roy & Jean McCrabie. Although, I can't totally discount John Roy & Margaret Simson, I initially had it in my mind that having a kid in 1775 at 52 was a little late, but perhaps, considering it was his 3rd marriage, this wasn't as unusual as I initially thought.

It's very hard to pin any one down, and maybe I'll never be able to! All the names match up with each other (thank you again for that fantastic analysis!). John Roy & Margaret Simson have one thing going for them, though. Patrick Roy & Agnes Guthrie's first child was John Roy (as you said, probably named after his father). They only had this son, and then a year later, he married Hellen Jack, and they had a daughter called Ann (after Ann Guthrie, his dead wife, perhaps?). Their next daughter was Hellen, after his new wife, (and to even-out the daughters named for wives?).

Then, the next daughter is Jean; which would make sense if his mother was Jean McCrabie, but his sister (if he's the son of John Roy & Margaret Simson) was called Jean, perhaps that was after her? But then again, William Roy & Jean McCrabie had a son called John, too.

Patrick & Hellen also had a kid called William, which seems to only make sense if Patrick's parents are William Roy & Jean McCrabie; or, maybe Hellen's father was called William? But then why would Patrick wait to name his youngest son after his father? There was a Helen Jack born in Kilspindie in 1738 to William Jack and Helen Foord? But then again, there was a Helen Jack born to Walter Jack and Jean Dempster in 1731 in Perth, which might be more probable, considering her marriage to Patrick Roy says she's from that Parish. It would also explain their daughter Jean's name, without Patrick's mother having to be called Jean. That may have explained the William without the need for Patrick's father to be William.

It's all very confusing, and I'm rambling here, I know! I'm just torn between the fact that having Patrick's father called John Roy looks very likely, but the fact that they were from quite a distance from Perth. It clashes with the fact that James Roy and Janet Ireland were married in Tibbermore, and Patrick married Ann Guthrie in Tibbermore, could that tie in? I suppose it might just be impossible to tell, but I really appreciate your time and effort, Colin! These things can be so frustrating, and fascinating! Hopefully something comes to light!
Thank you very much!

Offline RobbMorrow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 February 24 01:02 GMT (UK) »
Just a note on the John Roy & Margaret Simson line (who might were married in Angus). If this is Peter Roy's father, it looks like he may originally have been from Montrose. It appears the only John Roy born in Angus between 1650 and 1710 is John Roy, son of Alexander Roy and Katharine Smith, in Montrose in 1695. If this is him, he'd have been 23 at his marriage to Margaret Simson, which makes sense. There is also a John Roy listed as a private in Forfarshire's Regiment in the Jacobite Army, along with a fair few Smiths and Simpsons. He's listed as a servant in Lednathie, and it doesn't give an age. It could be him, but then again my Roys are Church of Scotland. I know there were plenty of Protestant Jacobites, but I can't imagine many Presbyterians would have been all that willing to take up arms for the Stuarts, so that puts me off somewhat. Not impossible, though, and I know Angus and the Northeast were hotbeds of Protestant (Episcopal) Jacobitism. I'd just assumed my folks were more Covenanter than Cavalier, if you get me!  :)  I just don't know how they'd have worked their way down from Montrose, to Perth, to Dunipace in the 18th Century? Confused, but intrigued! :)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 February 24 17:43 GMT (UK) »
It appears the only John Roy born in Angus between 1650 and 1710 is John Roy, son of Alexander Roy and Katharine Smith, in Montrose in 1695.
Caution!

This may be the only surviving record of the birth of a John Roy in Angus between 1650 and 1710, but you cannot make the assumption that, just because it's the only one, it must be the right one.

When you get as far back as this, only a small proportion of records survive, and it is possible - indeed probable - that the baptism of 'your' one has not survived.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline RobbMorrow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 February 24 17:48 GMT (UK) »
@Forfarian, that's a very good point, but I figured I'd share it anyhow! I think you've hit the nail on the head, though, this isn't him at all. I think it's a bit odd have them moving about so much in the 17th/18th centuries (between Montrose, Perth, and Dunipace) and as you say, the likelihood of getting back much further is slim, considering the records that survive. I think I'll have to have another look at the Perthshire records, see if I can dig anything up there. Thanks so much for your reply, and for your cautioning!