Author Topic: John Patterson family of Auchterderran, Fife.  (Read 190 times)

Offline LeahMay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Patterson family of Auchterderran, Fife.
« on: Monday 29 January 24 23:21 GMT (UK) »
I am seeking information on a John Patterson (Paterson) b.1838 in Auchterderran, Fife. His parents were John Patterson and Elizabeth Whyte. John married a Jane Ramsay in July 1865. They immigrated to New Zealand in 1875 with 3 children- their names and ages being listed on the passenger list of the ship 'Auckland' arriving in Otago, New Zealand in October 1875. I have reached a brickwall finding out more about their children and life in New Zealand, other than their daughter Helen Ramsay Patterson, who there is some info on but not enough to help me with my research.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Patterson family of Auchterderran, Fife.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 January 24 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Have looked much into Elizabeth White Paterson born 1872 Inveresk and John Paterson born 1865 Auchterderan? I didn't see deaths for them in Scotland.

In 1871 John Paterson lives at Wallyford House , Inveresk, Midlothian

Household
Relation   Name           Birth
Head   John Paterson   Circa 1838
Wife      Jane Paterson          Circa 1845
Son      John Paterson          Circa 1866
Daughter   Helen Paterson   Circa 1871
Boarder   Andrew Todd   Circa 1852
Boarder   John Ramsay   Circa 1855

Curious if you found much on Elizabeth White Paterson? Born the year after this census.

You have probably seen but Helen married a Greenhalgh and had quite a few children:

Mary Jane Carter (born Greenhalgh), Nellie Williamson (born Greenhalgh), Alice Ann Ruffles (born Greenhalgh), Edward Greenhalgh, John Greenhalgh, Elizabeth Sharps (born Greenhalgh), Albert Greenhalgh, Phoebe Humby (born Greenhalgh), Ethel Brigham (born Greenhalgh), Eva Muller (born Greenhalgh)

With dates:
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/230512278/helen-ramsay-greenhalgh

Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Online Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 January 24 00:54 GMT (UK) »
.... They immigrated to New Zealand in 1875 with 3 children- their names and ages being listed on the passenger list of the ship 'Auckland' arriving in Otago, New Zealand in October 1875.

You have not provided the names or date of birth for the children you are looking for. This is needed for others to help you.
Where did the family settle? In Otago?

If you are looking for information about the family in New Zealand, it would be best to have your post moved to the New Zealand forum.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline LeahMay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 January 24 01:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi - thanks for your responses. The ship 'Auckland' left Clyde 31 July 1875, arrived at Port Otago, South Island, NZ on 27 Oct 1975. It was an assisted emigration to NZ. Their names and ages were listed on passenger list as Patterson, John aged 37 - from Midlothian, occupation is Miner; Mrs Jane 30, John 9, Helen 4, Lizzie 2.  I am not sure where they settled, but could possibly of been in Mataura, a town in the Otago region.  I have the information on Helen Ramsay Patterson and her marriage into the Greenhalgh family. But any further information about Helen's siblings and parents is where the brickwall is. The Greenhalgh's dont seem to know much about these Pattersons. I will try the NZ forum.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 January 24 03:48 GMT (UK) »
This looks like  the death of the son John Patterson (who emigrated when he was 9) from Papers Past
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/ST19430417.2.75?end_date=31-12-1989&phrase=2&query=john+patterson&snippet=true&start_date=01-01-1875

BDM ref: 1943/31268   Patterson   John   77Y

From this he had a wife and son A J Patterson

Are you sure that John & jane did not have more children after their arrival in NZ?

Offline LeahMay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 January 24 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Thats fantastic information, thanks so much. I have been searching on Papers Past but never came across that entry. Why its fantastic is that I have searching for the biological father of my grandmother who was adopted shortly after birth. Her biological mother is from Mataura and there are DNA matches to my family to the Patterson family from the same time period. I have been trying to find out if it was possibly the son John b.1865 but could not find any information about him. 
 I am not sure if there were further children born in NZ as the problem has been that there are several John Pattersons (and Paterson) linked to the name Jane on the NZ births, deaths, marriages register.
I can now move on to see if this John is the link I have been looking for. :) :D