Author Topic: Trying to locate where my late aunt has been laid to rest.  (Read 291 times)

Offline GlasGuy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trying to locate where my late aunt has been laid to rest.
« on: Tuesday 30 January 24 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi, this is my first post here. I just wanted to find out about my late aunt who I lost contact with. I found out about a year and a bit ago she had died but that's all they could tell me. I know my aunt's family had moved to England. I had no idea if my aunt was buried down there or up in Glasgow, Scotland where she lived.

I emailed her local church in Glasgow and they said they would look in the parish register but after a few weeks I received an email saying that they couldn't find her death record.

Then I managed to find her death record on Scotland's People but couldn't view it online. I want to ask whether me finding her record online in the Scotland's People database is proof that she had been buried in Scotland? Or if she had died in England and her family buried her down there would Scotland still have her death record?

Cheers!

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to locate where my late aunt has been laid to rest.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 January 24 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi, and welcome.

Deaths are registered where they took place, so if her death is on Scotlands People rather than in the England and Wales GRO index, that means she died in Scotland. The entry on SP will give a county or town, but deaths in the last 50 years can't be viewed online. Instead you have to order a paper copy, either with the link provided or direct from the local registrar.

A death certificate will tell you exactly where and when she died, but not where she was buried (or cremated), so you'd still need to look for clues elsewhere. Newspaper death notices or online obituaries are useful, as well as sites like Findagrave or Billion Graves. I think people sometimes get help from friendly funeral directors too - you'd probably need to try a few in the area where she died.

If none of those help, think about where she is likely to have been buried or cremated. These days, churchyard burials tend to be restricted to less populated areas where there's less pressure on space. Everywhere else it's likely to be a cemetery or crematorium run by the local authority or a private company. Some of these have online records (some of which are at Deceased Online), but in many cases you need to contact them directly. Usually it would be one near where the person died, but with family connections elsewhere it might not be.

If you'd like to give us more information about your aunt (eg name, where she died, roughly where her family might be in England), there are plenty here who'd be happy to try and find where she was buried, though I appreciate you might like to try on your own first.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GlasGuy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to locate where my late aunt has been laid to rest.
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 February 24 06:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi arthurk & thank you for taking the time to respond to my post.

I have ordered my late aunt's death cert through Scotlands People and I have followed your advice and I emailed a half dozen funeral directors but had no luck.

I appreciate your offer of further help but I am trying to reach the family and would like to try on my own a little bit longer.

Cheers,

Martin