Author Topic: Death Certificate  (Read 339 times)

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death Certificate
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 31 January 24 07:14 GMT (UK) »
At BNA you are also up against the quality of the newsprint/OCR. There are two reports of this incident that I can see. In the one that I transcribed the OCR text has M'Kenzie while the other (has less detail so I didn't mention it) has "lil'Kenzie"

Saturday 08 March 1884 
Glasgow Weekly Herald
AT KIRLINTILLOCH.— (bout nine o'c)ock on Saturday night travelling tinker name Isaac lil`Kenzie fell into the canal at Kirkintilloch, and was drowned.

search:
M'Kenzie: not found
McKenzie: not found
Kenzie: found
M*Kenzie: not found

Friday 07 March 1884 
Galloway News and Kirkcudbrightshire Advertiser
About 9 p.m. On Saturday, while a family of travelling tinkers named M'Kenzie, consisting of father, mother, and several grown-up children, were going westwards along the canal bank at Kirkintilloch, the father, named Isaac, fell into the canal. The family were mach intoxicated as to be powerless as to render help, and though the alarm was raised, before the man could be rescued he was unconcions, and died in the policeoffice.

search
M'Kenzie: found
M*Kenzie: found

Obviously this is a small sample, but maybe it's always worth trying the name without any prefix if all else fails?
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline scottishlad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death Certificate
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 31 January 24 11:17 GMT (UK) »
At BNA you are also up against the quality of the newsprint/OCR. There are two reports of this incident that I can see. In the one that I transcribed the OCR text has M'Kenzie while the other (has less detail so I didn't mention it) has "lil'Kenzie"

Saturday 08 March 1884 
Glasgow Weekly Herald
AT KIRLINTILLOCH.— (bout nine o'c)ock on Saturday night travelling tinker name Isaac lil`Kenzie fell into the canal at Kirkintilloch, and was drowned.

search:
M'Kenzie: not found
M*Kenzie: not found

Friday 07 March 1884 
Galloway News and Kirkcudbrightshire Advertiser
About 9 p.m. On Saturday, while a family of travelling tinkers named M'Kenzie, consisting of father, mother, and several grown-up children, were going westwards along the canal bank at Kirkintilloch, the father, named Isaac, fell into the canal. The family were mach intoxicated as to be powerless as to render help, and though the alarm was raised, before the man could be rescued he was unconcions, and died in the policeoffice.

search
M'Kenzie: found
M*Kenzie: found

Obviously this is a small sample, but maybe it's always worth trying the name without any prefix if all else fails?

Very interesting thank you! I plan on trying to track down that other ancestor of mine today using these strategies.