Author Topic: Quarter Sessions 1835 Nock  (Read 121 times)

Offline Rowleyrosie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Quarter Sessions 1835 Nock
« on: Tuesday 30 January 24 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Henry Nock, a Coal Master of Oldbury, Halesowen, Worcestershire is recorded in the 1835 October Quarter Sessions at Shrewsbury as making a Presentment,a Deposition and three Recognizances. References QR348 Entry 13 - Presentment, QR348 Entry 54 - Deposition, and QR348 Entries 116, 117 and 118 - Recognizances.
FindMyPast gives the Shrewsbury Archives as the location of these records but I am told by Shrewsbury Archives that these have not been digitised and the cost of copies would be £15 per entry. Oldbury (in Worcestershire), where Henry Nock lived and had his business was a peculiar in the parish of Halesowen which was at that time in Salop which is presumably why this case was being heard at Shrewsbury.
I have searched newspapers but can find no mention of Henry Nock at this time so I am at a loss to know what this case involving an apparently respectable businessman might be about.
Might someone visiting the archives be prepared to look this up for me please? Hopefully the entries would be in one volume or file. Apparently these are the meanings of these terms:

Recognizance – bond to ensure that the defendant and witnesses appear before the court
Deposition –  testimonies of the accuser and the witness prior to the crime being indicted or prosecuted. 
Presentment – details of the offence useful as it contains place of abode.

There  is  no mention of whether this matter ever came to trial or a verdict!
I would be very grateful for any help!
Hopkins (Staffordshire and Gloucestershire), Hingley, Rose, Parsons, all Staffs; Beet Staffs and Nuneaton. Varney, Newman Northamptonshire and Stowe, Buckinghamshire.

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
Re: Quarter Sessions 1835 Nock
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 January 24 21:06 GMT (UK) »
What was his business?

Sorry, just seen, coal master.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*