Author Topic: The enigma surrounding the origins of William John DEMPSEY (1900-1961)  (Read 2879 times)

Offline TreeDigger

• RootsChat Senior
  • Lioessens church 12th/tower 15th century
    • View Profile
Re: The enigma surrounding the origins of William John DEMPSEY (1900-1961)
« Reply #36 on: Monday 04 March 24 09:10 GMT (UK) »
That's right, just rub it in why dontcha  ;)

Truth be told, I was already convinced William was Ann Stanton's grandson. However, I sometimes also jump the gun too quickly and have a tendency for 'genealogical multitasking', which makes me lose sight of (important) details. Or, you know, the obvious staring you right in the face *sigh*
Haycock (Liverpool, Wolverhampton, Oswestry); Rosewell (Shepperton); Wales/Whales (Thanet, Kent); Daborn (Chobham, Horsell); Prince and Powell (Liverpool area); Maxted and She(e)pwashe (Kent); Milo/Millot (France, Holland, England); genealogical research project on links to ancient Frisian aristocracy (Hofstra-Fynia-Tania). It keeps me off the streets ;)

Twenty years on this forum!

Offline TreeDigger

• RootsChat Senior
  • Lioessens church 12th/tower 15th century
    • View Profile
Re: The enigma surrounding the origins of William John DEMPSEY (1900-1961)
« Reply #37 on: Monday 04 March 24 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Still can't find any naturalization docs for William though.. or anything wrt a name change.

When he marries wife #1 in 1925 he already goes by Dempsey, stating he's been in country for 2 years. There's no doubt in my mind it's him, just really curious about the moment (and reason why) he decided to step into this alter ego.

(edit - reason why is probably because he jumped out of the marriage and didn't want to be found; there either are divorce papers somewhere or.. bigamist?)
Haycock (Liverpool, Wolverhampton, Oswestry); Rosewell (Shepperton); Wales/Whales (Thanet, Kent); Daborn (Chobham, Horsell); Prince and Powell (Liverpool area); Maxted and She(e)pwashe (Kent); Milo/Millot (France, Holland, England); genealogical research project on links to ancient Frisian aristocracy (Hofstra-Fynia-Tania). It keeps me off the streets ;)

Twenty years on this forum!