Author Topic: Finding it really hard to decipher this handwriting, please would someone help  (Read 306 times)

Offline Muzs333

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi, I'm trying to decipher this end part of a 1677 inventory that belonged to my 8 X great grandfather Ralph North of Basingstoke, Hampshire. I just cannot understand any of the handwriting apart from my 8 X great grandfathers name Ralph Norton and where his wife Joanna name is written. I have been told it is in Latin, but i'm not sure. Any help at all would be gratefully received. Many thanks in advance. Anthony

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Finding it really hard to decipher this handwriting, please would someone help
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 January 24 20:24 GMT (UK) »
It isn’t strictly part of the inventory. It’s the grant of administration for Ralph North’s estate, made to his widow. You're right that it’s in Latin, and heavily abbreviated, especially at the end ...

Translation
On the 20th day of November in the year of the Lord 1677, by the worshipful Robert Sharrock, Doctor of Laws, surrogate of the worshipful Sir John Bramston, Knight and Doctor of Laws, Vicar-General etc. of the Lord Bishop of Winchester, administration of the goods etc. of the aforesaid Ralph North who died intestate [= without a valid will] was granted to Joan/Joanna North, his widow, relict, to well etc., and to pay the debts etc., accordingly sworn etc. (saving, etc.)

Offline Muzs333

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Finding it really hard to decipher this handwriting, please would someone help
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 January 24 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thank you, it is so kind of you to help me and to translate this for me, I would never have be able to do it myself. I am very grateful for all your help, many thanks again. Best wishes, Anthony