Author Topic: Close DNA match with no (known) family connection !!  (Read 1274 times)

Offline Cimota

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Close DNA match with no (known) family connection !!
« on: Wednesday 31 January 24 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

A few months ago I DNA tested through MyHeritage to see if I had any exotic DNA ethnicity - It turns out that I'm 52% Scottish 46% Irish and 2% English (much to my daughters disappointment).

More interestingly it flagged up a close DNA match to someone I don't know.

The results were:

Shared DNA: 26.6% (1,887.7 cM)
Shared segments: 29
Largest Segment 183.3cm

The match contacted me and we have been communicating since trying to find out how we are linked.

We agreed to do another test through Ancestry which came back with pretty much the same results (26% shared DNA: 1,847 cM across 31 segments).

The story so far:

- My mother and father are both from Glasgow as are the rest of their immediate family.

- Their mother is a born & bred Londoner and father is Irish. (no known Scottish connection at all).

- One of my 1st cousins on my fathers side had also done a Ancestry DNA test & I am a 10% match to them and the mystery person turned out to be a 15% match to this cousin. (they also have a couple of shared matches to 2nd cousins on my fathers side).

- They are 60 years old and I am 57 years old.

The mystery relatives ethnicity is interesting given that they have no obvious links to Scotland but are Scottish 23%, Irish 61%, English 16%.

Answers on a postcard please - any suggestions appreciated.

Offline antonymark

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Close DNA match with no (known) family connection !!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 January 24 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cimota,

Welcome to Rootschat. You will find lots of help here.

Using the shared cM tool on DNApainter https://dnapainter.com/tools/sharedcmv4

would suggest to me that you and your match are: (a)Grandparent and Grandchild (unlikely given your respective ages); (b)Aunt/Uncle and Niece/Nephew (?); (c)Half Sibling (given the shared matches on your paternal side this looks at first sight to be the most likely)

Others on here with more knowledge and experience than me will be along soon to help.

Best wishes, Tony.
Hoare, Milsted, Peacock, Herbert, Crampin, McIlroy, Holden, Hilton, Fawcett.

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 January 24 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Does your match have some matches which they know are definitely  linked to their mother's family tree, and also some which they know are definitely linked to their father's family tree? (I'm assuming that your match has built up a tree for both sides of their family)

If the answer to that is yes, then they are probably not a half sibling of yours.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline antonymark

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 January 24 20:52 GMT (UK) »
What "shared matches" do you have?

Can any of these be identified and built into either of your known trees?

Tony.

Hoare, Milsted, Peacock, Herbert, Crampin, McIlroy, Holden, Hilton, Fawcett.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 January 24 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Ethnicity estimates are really just an estimate, and in this example, aren’t really relevant.

As you and your mystery match both have matches with cousins on your paternal line, your connection is obviously on that line. It looks like aunt/uncle or half sibling relationship are the most likely.

I suggest testing at least one of your and your matches siblings, which may clarify. Is your father still alive? Even better! Consider testing him, which should give you the answer to the half sibling question.

The more family who test the clearer it is likley to become. Do you have any other close cousins on your father’s side, apart from the one who is a match to you and your mystery match? Test them if possible to clarify any aunt/uncle relationship.

Failing that, look at your father and your matches’ mother’s movements around that time. If you are half siblings, the parents must have met up somewhere. Also look at the movements of your father’s brothers … and the movement of your match’s mother of course.

Does your match have any siblings who have tested? Are they also a match to you?

Just a few suggestions …. I’m sure others will have more.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Offline Cimota

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 January 24 21:17 GMT (UK) »
I believe they have matches on their maternal side but I’m not sure about the paternal side (but it could be that no one they know on their father’s side has tested??).

The shared matches we have that I can identify are on my paternal side - there are quite a few shared matches but I can only identify a few.

My sister has just had her results back this evening & her matches are the same as mine.

Offline Cimota

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 31 January 24 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately both their father and mine are not alive.

There is a 1st cousins daughter on my fathers side that I can identify who is also a mutual match.

Offline Cimota

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 31 January 24 21:29 GMT (UK) »
The daughter of my 1st cousin is a 6.4% match to me and a 5.2% match to them.

Offline Cimota

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 31 January 24 21:32 GMT (UK) »
I should also mention that I’ve sent a link to this thread to my mystery relative.