Author Topic: George Johnston, death, Nov 6,1911 Kinloss, Bruce Co., Ontario, Canada  (Read 1623 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Johnston, death, Nov 6,1911 Kinloss, Bruce Co., Ontario, Canada
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 14 February 24 02:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Eileen for all of these . I also just found them in 1861 in Brantford, Brant county, Ontario under Johnson. There is a Marianne on there as well who must be the Annie who married Thomas Ferris in 1888 and Francis Macklem in 1898. In 1898 she gives her parents as George Johnston and Eliza Irwin.
Making progress although it still doesn’t solve the question of George’s parents. I did write to the Bruce County Archives earlier today.
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 15 February 24 17:26 GMT (UK) »
I'm not seeing that 1861 census, but makes me wonder why we don't see Florence until much later??

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 15 February 24 17:59 GMT (UK) »
My message disappeared, but here is the link for the 1861
https://www.rootschat.com/links/01t00/
Looks like Mary Ann  is aged two months and on the 1871 she is aged 9. Pretty sure she is Annie on the marriage records in 1888 and in 1898. Annie mostly gives her Dob  for 1864 but still think it’s her.
Florence did not marry so can’t be Annie.
Good observation that we don’t see Florence until 1891. I just checked the 1871 and she is not there despite being reportedly born September 1862.
Peggy

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 13 April 24 16:26 BST (UK) »
George Johnston and Eliza Irwin name one of their sons George Phibbs Johnston in 1857. George’s father was George as per his marriage and his death. George’s mother is not named, but I am thinking it was Florence McGregor who married George Johnston, Sr.  in 1817 in the Parish of Clogher, and that would fit with the birth of George in May 1819 as per the 1901 census. Florence McGregor‘s father was possibly Phibbs McGregor. I need to find the marriage in 1817 or Florence’s birth about 1795 to try to prove this theory.