Author Topic: George Johnston, death, Nov 6,1911 Kinloss, Bruce Co., Ontario, Canada  (Read 1624 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Johnston, death, Nov 6,1911 Kinloss, Bruce Co., Ontario, Canada
« Reply #9 on: Friday 02 February 24 15:15 GMT (UK) »
this is great, eileenwilson. Thank you so very much. I couldn't view it on my iPad but it worked on my desktop. Thank you also for the link to the newspapers.
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Online Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 02 February 24 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you eileenwilson for this tombstone photo and other info. That’s great.

Someone can't spell county Fermanagh properly.   ;) ;)

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 01:10 GMT (UK) »
I have spent much time researching many online trees regarding George Johnston and Eliza Irvine. Found unverified info that George was born May 1819 in Armaph, Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh. This fits quite well with the censuses. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what church George's baptism might be found if they were COI?
Thank you
Peggy

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 01:24 GMT (UK) »
Source for this info?  Few C of I records have survived and depend entirely on the parish.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 03:39 GMT (UK) »
One place that I saw it was on genealogy.com,posted by Nina Rogers, on Sept 1, 2012. They are her third great grandparents. Unfortunately, I think she had the wrong parents for George Jr.

George Johnston, Jr, May 1819, Armaph, Enniskillen, Ireland - November 6, 1911, Kinloss, Bruce, Ontario, Canada
Married March 15, 1849, Enniskillen (787 #67) to Elizabeth G Irwin, April 10, 1822, Fermanagh, Ireland - June 18, 1911, Kinloss, Bruce, Ontario, Canada.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 03:46 GMT (UK) »
I have just discovered Nina has a private tree on Ancestry. I will write to her.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 16:57 GMT (UK) »
There is no place called Armaph in Ireland.  Likely a confusion with Armagh, the neighbouring county to Fermanagh.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 18:05 GMT (UK) »
I did wonder about that Eileen. Yesterday I found dozens of trees that have that information which is likely one tree copying from another. As for Nina, I’ve been told that she’s no longer on ancestry and the person that you contact hasn’t been on for a year. There is quite a confusion about who are the parents of this George but I am quite sure it is NOT George Johnston and Susan Elizabeth Johnston. I have official documentation regarding Elizabeth Armstrong Breen nee  Johnston, daughter of George Johnston and Susan Elizabeth Johnston, and her brother George was living near Newcastle Australia in 1853 and 1854 and put up money to sponsor the Breen family emigration to Australia. The documents do specify that it was her brother George and that he was living in Australia. At the same time, George and Eliza Irwin were having children in Ireland before emigration to Canada about 1858. So they have to be two different Georges, and George who is married to Eliza Irwin cannot be the son of George Johnston and Susan Elizabeth Johnston by a process of elimination.
I am also not sure that Susan had a middle name Elizabeth although she might have.  Many trees claim that she died in 1849, but when you look at the documentation provided by some trees and go to findagrave and find Susan Elizabeth Johnston who died in 1849, she is the wife of Robert. Elizabeth Breen’s emigration papers say that her parents George and Susan were deceased by 1854 when she emigrated.
The 1901 census in Canada does have a date of birth for George of May 1819 which is about right and agrees with the 1911 census roughly. I haven’t found George between his emigration and 1901. I wrote to the municipal clerk of Huron-Kinloss regarding George’s death and family history who told me to write to the library who told me to write to the government of Kinloss who told me to write to the Bruce county historical Society. That is where that one is.
Peggy

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 14 February 24 02:13 GMT (UK) »
In the 1891 census, George and Eliza (noted as Lisa) are in Kinloss, both aged 78, with children Florence, 28, and Robert, 26.

I also found George, aged 64, and Elizabeth, aged 50, with daughter Mary aged 19 and son Robert, aged 17, all in Kinloss in the 1881 census.  Written and indexed as Jonston.

1871 Census in Kinloss as Jonson has George aged 52 (or 42), Elizabeth, aged 46, with son James, aged 17 (all born in Ireland), as well as George Jr. aged 14, Stevin (sic), aged 12, Mary Ann, aged 12, and Robert W., aged 7, all born in Ontario.