Author Topic: 1794 Upton marriage - Edward Thompson & Elizabeth Marriott  (Read 326 times)

Offline sbell95

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1794 Upton marriage - Edward Thompson & Elizabeth Marriott
« on: Wednesday 31 January 24 23:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I am looking for the marriage of Edward Thompson and Elizabeth Marriott. According to the Pallot's Marriage Index, they were married 22 July 1794 in Upton. I have tried looking for the parish register entry, but cannot seem to locate anything. Is anyone able to assist?

Edward and Elizabeth baptised children in Brington, 1801-1816, so I'm unsure where they would have been between the marriage and this time...

Cheers,
Sarah
Sarah Bell – Australia
View my tree on Wikitree – https://www.wikitree.com/genealogy/Bell-Family-Tree-25846

Offline PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1794 Upton marriage - Edward Thompson & Elizabeth Marriott
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 February 24 00:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sarah,

Had a look for this, and it appears this is not the Northamptonshire Upton. This is Upton by Southwell in Nottinghamshire. FreeReg confirms the marriage, but whether this is the marriage you are seeking, I don’t know.

Afraid I couldn’t see an Edward & Elizabeth Thompson married in Northamptonshire..
Website: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~towcesterfamilies/genealogy/
Towcester - anything, any time
Cheshire - Lambert, Houghland, Birtwisle
Liverpool - Platt, Cunningham, Ditton
London - Notley, Elsom, Billett
Oxfordshire - Hitchcock, Smith, Leonard, Taunt
Durham - Hepburn, Eltringham
Berwickshire - Guthrie, Crawford
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Gloucestershire - Verrinder, Colborn
Dorset - Westlake

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 February 24 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Sarah Thompson, dau of Edward and Elizabeth, baptised on 26 Apr 1795 in Upton, St Peter & St Paul, Notts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Peter_and_St_Paul%27s_Church,_Upton

David

Offline sbell95

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 February 24 00:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all. I think you are probably right that this is the wrong marriage.

My hunt continues -- I now have a possible marriage for Edward to Elizabeth PARSONS in Great Glen, Leicestershire. Their son Joseph reports his birthplace as "Glenn" in the 1851 census, and there does seem to be a baptism of a Joseph in Kibworth Beauchamp (near Glen) in 1796.

I am currently awaiting the delivery of an item from the Northamptonshire Archives for a removal order for Elizabeth Thomason, 1798, Kibworth to Brington. Hopefully this provides some clues about the family's movements. There are many Marriott families in Brington, so it's still possible that Elizabeth belongs to them, but it remains to be seen.

Any further ideas are appreciated!
Sarah Bell – Australia
View my tree on Wikitree – https://www.wikitree.com/genealogy/Bell-Family-Tree-25846

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 February 24 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Edward Thomasson of Oadby and Elizabeth Parsons
Married on 17 Dec 1793, Great Glen, Leicestershire
Witnesses: William Grain and William Dawson

William Tompson, son of Edward and Elizabeth, baptised on 4th Jan 1795 in Wistow, near Great Glen.

David

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 February 24 11:15 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if it is the same person, but, on the 1841-61 censuses, there is a William Thompson, born in Great Glen c1796-7, in Kibworth, with a wife, Esther, born in Oxendon, near Market Harborough.

I can't find a marriage, but there is one to Ann Dexter in East Fardon, near Market Harborough, on 24th October 1817.
There are two children born to William and Ann, Elizabeth in 1821 and Sarah Ann in 1823, but none to Esther.

Perhaps he married twice. There is a marriage to Esther Brown in Leicester on 30th September 1830.

In 1841 they have a daughter, Charlotte. She was the daughter of William and Ann and there is a non-conformist baptism on 20th January 1837, together with sisters, Sarah Ann and Mary Jane, all born ealier.

William left a will in 1870, leaving everything to Esther, who is on the 1871 census.

David