Author Topic: Death of Enoch Rogers at Ludlow Bro's, Palmer Street, Birmingham 24 March 1898  (Read 224 times)

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Hello everyone

I'm not looking for help with this subject, but I hope it generates conversation about an extreme weather event that took place in March of 1898.

24 March 1898 there were high winds and blizzards over Birmingham. One of my relatives, Enoch Rogers (1850 - 1898), was working at Ludlow Brothers on Palmer Street. The winds brought down a large gable end wall which crashed through the roof into the shop he was working in, killing him and three other men. I am wondering if this event is already known about among the good folks of Birmingham.

Enoch's death left his wife with 8 children to look after! Their son Frederick William, only 22 at the time, seemed to take up where his father left off, and on the 1901 census he was looking after his siblings at 5bk 222 Park Lane, Aston. On the 1911 census he still had three of his siblings under his wing at 188 Vicarage Road, Aston, and one of his sisters was across the road at no. 187 with her young family. Not sure where he was on the 1921 because I haven't looked that up, but I can tell you he was living with his widowed sister Alice at 271 Park Road on the 1939 Register. He seems to have been a very good egg!

One of those tragic Victorian stories, but also wonderful to learn that those left behind stayed together and helped look after each other.

I am interested to know if this event is well known in Birmingham, or if it is 'news' to some today.

Philip

Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Enoch Rogers at Ludlow Bro's, Palmer Street, Birmingham 24 March 1898
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 February 24 08:46 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if it is still known in the area, however the storm and the collapse of the building was widely reported in newspapers all over the country at the time. The storm was not just in the Birmingham area, but widespread.
eg "Over a great part of our islands the atmospheric conditions yesterday were of a wild, turbulent character ..." continuing with  a lot more detail.
   Friday,  Mar. 25, 1898
Publication: Morning Post