Author Topic: My ancestors trip from Hamburg to London  (Read 288 times)

Offline Ashnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • NZ genelogy
    • View Profile
My ancestors trip from Hamburg to London
« on: Thursday 01 February 24 01:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Happy New Year,

I just have a little question. In 1873 my ancestors travelled on the german steamer "Vega" or "Wega" as it was known in english. The ship was described as a cargo ship that was launch in October 1872.
Dimensions:    940grt, 545nrt, 224.4 x 29.6 x 17.2ft
Engines:    C2cyl (32 & 60 x 33ins), 172nhp
Propulsion:    1 x Screw
Construction:    Iron

So my question is, roughly speaking, how long would it take for such a ship to travel from Hamburg to London?

Kindest regards,

Ashley
"With time, persistance and help, we can fill in all the missing pieces of the puzzle."

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: My ancestors trip from Hamburg to London
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 February 24 09:08 GMT (UK) »
You can track the Wega's progress from newspaper reports of shipping movements. What date did your ancestors arrive and at which UK port?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 February 24 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Obviously Shaun's suggestion will only give you the journey time to the nearest full day. Assuming that the ship travelled directly between Hamburg and London, the answer is likely to be around 54 to 71 hours, depending on what speed the ship made, typically around 6 and 8 knots. You can use this useful site to calculate passage times: Sea Distances

Offline Ashnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • NZ genelogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 February 24 22:49 GMT (UK) »
You can track the Wega's progress from newspaper reports of shipping movements. What date did your ancestors arrive and at which UK port?
Initially, they left from Hamburg on May 20th, 1873. Unfortunately, the Wega's engine burst and was towed back to Hamburg. I don't know if the ship was repaired or my ancestors were permitted to use another ship (I'm assuming the latter). But they had to be at the West India Docks by May 30th to board the sailing ship the Barque Punjaub to sail to New Zealand.
"With time, persistance and help, we can fill in all the missing pieces of the puzzle."

Offline Ashnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • NZ genelogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 February 24 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Obviously Shaun's suggestion will only give you the journey time to the nearest full day. Assuming that the ship travelled directly between Hamburg and London, the answer is likely to be around 54 to 71 hours, depending on what speed the ship made, typically around 6 and 8 knots. You can use this useful site to calculate passage times: Sea Distances
Thank you - that helps me a lot  :)