Author Topic: Mini iPad: Deleting several History items at one time?  (Read 316 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Mini iPad: Deleting several History items at one time?
« on: Thursday 01 February 24 07:51 GMT (UK) »
Mini iPad: I had a LOT of webpages open.  I was looking at each one, writing down “important” webpages (that I wanted to follow up with) and deleting those no longer needed.  Through operator error, I lost all of my pages.

Is there a way, please, to select several items in history at one time and delete them as a group?  Deleting one at a time is incredibly time consuming (and very frustrating).  Thank you, Lisa

[Added: my goal was to only keep three or four tabs(?) open - logging important sites on paper, then deleting them as well as unneeded sites.]
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mini iPad: Deleting several History items at one time?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 February 24 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this what you want, but in Safari with History showing in the side window, if you click on Edit (bottom left for me) you will get a selection view where you can choose the items to delete then click Delete (appears in bottom right for me), or ‘Done’ if you wish to exit.

Also, for me, my History groups pages by time (I can see Wednesday Evening, Wednesday Afternoon and Wednesday Morning for example. Touch and hold one of these and a Delete option will appear.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 February 24 12:16 GMT (UK) »
If you want to delete all opened tabs - just press & hold the far right hand icon at the top of your iPad - looks like 2 squares one on top of the other.  Select "close all tabs"

To selectively delete - Lightly tap the same icon to show all opened tabs then delete the ones you don't want
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 February 24 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Why do you not Bookmark the sites you want to return to? Writing them down seems rather old fashioned.

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 February 24 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Another way would be to create a tab group and move the tabs you are interested in into that, then delete the rest. When you move to the tab group you will have all of the tabs you want.

Create a tab group using the icon at top right of the side bar – looks like two squares on top of each other with a plus sign. To move a tab to the group, long press on the tab and one of the options is Move to Tab Group.

I use tab groups to switch between different ‘interests’ all the time.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 February 24 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Assuming the mini is like the regular iPad….

To get your tabs back…

Hold down the cross at the upper right and all your deleted tabs should appear. Then you just need to click on the ones you want back. A bit tedious but has worked for me in the past when I accidentally deleted all my open tabs. Problem is I don’t know how I did it so it has happened more than once.

PB

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 February 24 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Why do you not Bookmark the sites you want to return to? Writing them down seems rather old fashioned.

That’s me, old fashioned…I still have genealogy items (documents, photos, letters, etc.) in binders in a bookcase.  ;D  However, I do eventually plan to electronically store the items as well (most of the items are from the late70s-80s, when I started researching).  I used bookmarks when I had a computer.  I forgot all about the feature - I will definitely use it again!

Thank you for ALL of the suggestions; they are very helpful for the future.  I will try them once I clean up the history so I will know for the next time this happens.

[I use Anc*try a lot, for helping RootsChatters and for my own research, and by maneuvering through the site it created a lot of items in the iPad history. Unfortunately, a few of my Anc*try findings are intermingled with RootsChatters’ findings so I cannot select “Friday January 26” and just delete the day’s history.  Hence, wanting to delete 10-20 items at a time.]

Thank you!  Lisa

Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 February 24 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Assuming the mini is like the regular iPad….

To get your tabs back…

Hold down the cross at the upper right and all your deleted tabs should appear. Then you just need to click on the ones you want back. A bit tedious but has worked for me in the past when I accidentally deleted all my open tabs. Problem is I don’t know how I did it so it has happened more than once.

PB

If I understood you correctly, you don’t know how you accidentally deleted the tabs?  I did it when I tried to view an app by pulling down the screen(?) at the top middle of my iPad.  I also did it when I tried to drag a tab to the left on the bar - it left me with just the tab I was trying to move, all of the others were deleted. It also happened after I accidentally chose “split screen”.  I apparently have clumsy fingers.  ;)

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 February 24 00:08 GMT (UK) »
I’m thinking I must have clumsy fingers too. And perhaps not always paying attention to where I’m tapping. Just poof and they were gone and I ended up with the single tab. The dragging of a tab to the left makes sense b/c I do that at times. Thankfully I learned how to retrieve them.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada