Author Topic: Fanelly MATTAT in Somerset 1851  (Read 578 times)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fanelly MATTAT in Somerset 1851
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 February 24 19:42 GMT (UK) »
where does the Aberystwyth connection come into it? I can't see Mrs or Miss Hunter lived there, although interestingly there were some Evanses living there in the 1870s

I forgot to mention that JOhn and Douglas had at least one other child. There's a daughter  Jessie, b Gloucestershire, who in 1841 appears to be working in a school.  There may have been teachers from France at some point?

Offline pollux83

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 February 24 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I'm only guessing but I suspect there was a church connection, and also that Fanelly was perhaps serving in Bath as a French teacher.
I can't explain the Aberystwyth connection - it just pops up in the National Library of Wales records concerning "the lease of 3 Laura Place, Aberystwyth, by Mrs Hunter to Miss Parry." The note presumes Mrs Hunter to be the widow of the Rev John as the bundle of papers includes his probate.

Fanelly's husband, James Evans, was very active in the evangelical movement of the early 19th century in the UK. His first wife was from the well-connected Scottish Carnegie family. He was a co-founder of a radical newspaper, The Record, which became the Church of England Newspaper in 1949 and still exists today. He later moved to Cannes with his first wife but she died in 1855. He married Fanelly in 1857. In 1864 he established Holy Trinity Church in Cannes, the second English church in the town. That also still exists, though not in the same building and is now the only English church in Cannes (at one time there were four!).
Fanelly was not a local lady - she was born in Nantes, in NE France, so how the couple met is another matter for speculation!

Offline pollux83

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 07 February 24 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Correction - I meant Nantes is in north west France!