Author Topic: Dyson William b1827  (Read 179 times)

Offline Beechbaby

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dyson William b1827
« on: Thursday 01 February 24 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi once again I'm trying to help a member of my family but once again I ask for your help please.
I'm on Ancestry and I'm trying to confirm the wife of William Dyson b 1827 died 1879 I have a wife name Sarah but uncertain of her surname  possible is Ramsden!!
There children are
Thomas b 1848
Joe b1852
Annie b 1854
George Arthur b1856 married Lily Ellen Corner ..... there children Wnnie,   Eliza Ann ( our relative)   so I know  upwards is 80%correct.

Just need clarification of Williams Sarah maiden name and Williams mother & father if at all possible please.    Thank you in advance.
Nattrass  -     Heaton  -    Segwick  -  Hammersley  -  Hall -  Prestwich.  Heartwell

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Dyson William b1827
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 February 24 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried looking for the children’s birth registrations on the gro index, the index should show mothers maiden surname
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 February 24 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Rather than us jumping straight in with the answers, have you tried the following?

(As rosie said) GRO birth index (not the one at Ancestry) - should confirm the mother's maiden name for the 4 children you mention, and you should be able to get full copies (pdf) of the registrations for £2.50 each.

1851 and later censuses - to find out where William was born and confirm his age; also in case his parents happened to be staying with them

1841 census - you might find William with his parents, but it's not such an unusual name, and remember that relationships and exact birthplaces aren't given; if nothing else it might give you some possibles to work with

Then start looking for possible baptisms, which should name William's father and possibly his mother; if not C of E, they could have been non-conformist, in which case you might need further help.

C of E records for most of the North Riding are at Ancestry, but if you don't find them there, look at FamilySearch (free, but registration needed). The exact location will determine what records are available and on which site, so if you need more help, be sure to tell us that.

Good luck!
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 February 24 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Assume it's the family living in Batley,  WEST Riding.
Ramsden would seem to be correct for the maiden name, from the GRO registrations of the children.
This William born in High Hoyland according to 1861 census.

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/WRY/HighHoyland

Possible baptism High Hoyland   
23 Jul 1826
  mother Mary Dyson

1841 census High Hoyland

Piece    1323
Book    16
Folio    6
Page number    10

Mary Dyson 40
William.   "       15
Jane        ".       5

All born in the country
Bulman, DUR
Butterfield DUR & N. YKS,
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS
Howe, Richardson,Thompson all DUR

William Thompson violin maker Bishop Auckland
William Thompson jun. Violin maker Leeds

Richardson in Bermondsey/East Ham, descendants of William Richardson b. 1820 Bishop Auckland

Berger, Fritsch, Ritschel, Pechanz, Funke, Endesfelder & others from Czechia

Offline Beechbaby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 February 24 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Arthur thank you , I've printed you excellent  advice and will look into it.

I did find the problem that there are 100s of Williams and ones that have married a Sarah but I will keep trying and learning,  thanks again 😊
Nattrass  -     Heaton  -    Segwick  -  Hammersley  -  Hall -  Prestwich.  Heartwell

Offline Beechbaby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 February 24 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your help, much appreciated.