Author Topic: Ancestry DNA membership features active  (Read 1158 times)

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry DNA membership features active
« Reply #18 on: Monday 05 February 24 00:21 GMT (UK) »
I am being totally ripped  off then as I pay 179 pounds for an annual sub ( worldwide membership). It's  got too expensive.
They never give discounts  to long time sub holders. 

I've  been with them for years and years, and will be cancelling my sub before the next renewal . They've  got worse  over the years, money  grab. Yes they're  a business,  but their business practices in recent  years I  think are totally unscrupulous. .

You need to cancel your auto-renew and once your subscription ends you could then try using one of the 'offer' links below that others have also had the benefit of.

Annual Worldwide for £89.99

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/checkout/mli?direct=1&quantities=1&flow=3&offers=O-24532&rType=11

Annual UK Premium for £59.99

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/checkout/mli?direct=1&quantities=1&flow=3&offers=O-24531&rType=11
Hi, yes I know.
But the point is, Ancestry for years has done this, no loyalty, no discounts to long  time sub holders.
It would make for a far more honest practice of giving  discounts to their  customers and not having to cancel  and rejoin.
I keep forgetting to cancel my sub before  the date.

There isn't  an option for un ticking an auto renewel box , you have to "cancel"  the sub , which I'll  be doing as we speak to stop the auto renewal  of it in April

And their help pages says this
 " Preventing automatic renewal
Except for gift memberships, all memberships renew automatically unless they're canceled. If you cancel during the refund period, your membership will end immediately and will not renew. If you cancel outside of the refund period, your membership will end at the end of your current period and will not renew."
Kind regards  :)

Ps interesting , I've  just  pressed on my payment details ( credit card details)
And the credit card  expiry date has expired in 2010 !  They have it in big red letters  - I haven't updated my credit card expiry date  with them over the years,  yet they have billed my card for the past 13 years  with the expired  dated card  lol ( makes you wonder what is the point of expiry dates on credit cards )
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 05 February 24 01:48 GMT (UK) »

And you and all those paying subscriptions are going to be impacted too. A cousin who is a match tells me I have disappeared from his matches, since my subscription recently lapsed. 

That's  odd . I  have quite a few matches that I know they haven't  got  a sub  anymore, also I know   a couple of  them that have passed away and their family haven't  taken over/renewed their subs.  Not one of my non sub holders matches have disappeared from my matches list that I can find.

Or do you mean you have disappeared in his thru lines?  That's  odd too. Maybe your cousin has put a  different birth date on his tree of  your shared  ancestor/s  between you,  or a different spelling of the ancestor's name. (?)
Has he searched on your Ancestry  name in the search box  on his list  of matches page  ?  That is really  odd to disappear  , if you have literally  completely disappeared from his matches and haven't  deleted your  DNA with them.
Kind regards :)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 05 February 24 02:24 GMT (UK) »

And you and all those paying subscriptions are going to be impacted too. A cousin who is a match tells me I have disappeared from his matches, since my subscription recently lapsed. 

That's  odd . I  have quite a few matches that I know they haven't  got  a sub  anymore, also I know   a couple of  them that have passed away and their family haven't  taken over/renewed their subs.  Not one of my non sub holders matches have disappeared from my matches list that I can find.

Or do you mean you have disappeared in his thru lines?  That's  odd too. Maybe your cousin has put a  different birth date on his tree of  your shared  ancestor/s  between you,  or a different spelling of the ancestor's name. (?)
Has he searched on your Ancestry  name in the search box  on his list  of matches page  ?  That is really  odd to disappear  , if you have literally  completely disappeared from his matches and haven't  deleted your  DNA with them.

I can only tell you what he told me. Previously no issue, and no changes other than the fact that my subscription lapsed.
I just renewed for $1 for 3 months, so presumably fixed.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 05 February 24 03:54 GMT (UK) »

I can only tell you what he told me. Previously no issue, and no changes other than the fact that my subscription lapsed.
I just renewed for $1 for 3 months, so presumably fixed.
Surely  it would  halve most sub paying peoples matches ,if they stopped showing  all the matches  that don't  have a sub .  They'd really be shooting themselves in the foot if they did that.

Maybe it's  a glitch with your , or your cousins account , gremlins at work.
On a similar  note (gremilns at work) I stopped  receiving all emails from  Myheritage , new match alerts, private message alerts and  newsletters for over  a year - all emails from them , it was not anything I had done to my  account settings or my own server . I spent hours, and months trying to find the cause of it. I gave up in the end trying  to find the cause of it.
 It finally  resolved itself after a year,  when they had a major overhaul of their site ,just  a couple of months  ago . All of a  sudden  I started receiving emails from them again. - so it was a  major glitch  their  end , and not mine

Kind regards.  :)

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 05 February 24 09:31 GMT (UK) »
On a similar  note (gremilns at work) I stopped  receiving all emails from  Myheritage , new match alerts, private message alerts and  newsletters for over  a year - all emails from them , it was not anything I had done to my  account settings or my own server . I spent hours, and months trying to find the cause of it. I gave up in the end trying  to find the cause of it.
 It finally  resolved itself after a year,  when they had a major overhaul of their site ,just  a couple of months  ago . All of a  sudden  I started receiving emails from them again. - so it was a  major glitch  their  end , and not mine

Several times over the past few years, I have logged in to MyHeritage whilst there, and once logged in everything is displayed in English. However, when I return home and log in again, everything is in Dutch for several weeks to a couple of months, before it returns to English again. During those periods, any emails they send me are also in Dutch. I reported it and got nowhere.
Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire