Author Topic: Special constabulary WW2 - Tynemouth.  (Read 321 times)

Offline SkyeSpotter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Special constabulary WW2 - Tynemouth.
« on: Friday 02 February 24 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I recently discovered from the 1939 census, that my great grandfather was part of the special constabulary in Tynemouth. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the constabulary in Tynemouth?

Thanks,
SkyeSpotter.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Special constabulary WW2 - Tynemouth.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Did he have another (main) occupation listed?
This page is for a different county but I'd imagine that the situation was more or less the same country wide
https://gloucestershirepolicearchives.org.uk/content/from-strikes-to-vips/wars/policing-in-the-united-kingdom-during-world-war-two
and it says that special constables were unpaid, part time, volunteers who for one reason or another were precluded from being called up for war service.

Tyne and Wear Archives have some records for Tynemouth Borough Constabulary, though I don't know if they contain info about special constables.

https://twarchives.org.uk/collection/user-guides-and-information
choose : Other Topics: Law and Order

Boo

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I recently discovered from the 1939 census, that my great grandfather was part of the special constabulary in Tynemouth. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the constabulary in Tynemouth?

Thanks,
SkyeSpotter.

The 1939 National Register wasn't a census ;)
A census was a snapshot of the population on a specified night
The 1939 National Register was updated by the NHS until the 1990's - which is why you can find surname changes :D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 16:42 GMT (UK) »
TyneMouth Borough Police were separate from the old Northumberland Constabulary, until 1968, when Tynemouth Borough lost their independence. !and they were merged with Northumberland.  I do not know when Tynemouth was formed.  Another independent force was the River Tyne Police, and they too were assimilated in 1968, as was Tynemouth Borough. All the old North Eastern forces, including those south of the Tyne had a minimum height requirement of 5'10" to qualify for acceptance.
Search the web for 'British Police History' and you will find dozens of entries re old 'defunct' forces, and current forces, together with many old photos therein.
Best of luck in your search and if you find what I have suggested you may well find much info. re Tynemouth Boro'.

Offline SkyeSpotter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Did he have another (main) occupation listed?
This page is for a different county but I'd imagine that the situation was more or less the same country wide
https://gloucestershirepolicearchives.org.uk/content/from-strikes-to-vips/wars/policing-in-the-united-kingdom-during-world-war-two
and it says that special constables were unpaid, part time, volunteers who for one reason or another were precluded from being called up for war service.

Tyne and Wear Archives have some records for Tynemouth Borough Constabulary, though I don't know if they contain info about special constables.

https://twarchives.org.uk/collection/user-guides-and-information
choose : Other Topics: Law and Order

Boo

Hi Boo,

Yes, his occupation was listed as 'Marine Engine Repair Fitter'.

Thank you for the two links, I will check them out.

SkyeSpotter

Offline SkyeSpotter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Thanks,
SkyeSpotter.

The 1939 National Register wasn't a census ;)
A census was a snapshot of the population on a specified night
The 1939 National Register was updated by the NHS until the 1990's - which is why you can find surname changes :D

Hi,

Yes, of course it was a national register, not a census - silly me!  :)
That's interesting - I had noticed some of the surnames had been edited, I didn't realise the NHS updated it.

SkyeSpotter

Offline SkyeSpotter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 19:03 GMT (UK) »
TyneMouth Borough Police were separate from the old Northumberland Constabulary, until 1968, when Tynemouth Borough lost their independence. !and they were merged with Northumberland.  I do not know when Tynemouth was formed.  Another independent force was the River Tyne Police, and they too were assimilated in 1968, as was Tynemouth Borough. All the old North Eastern forces, including those south of the Tyne had a minimum height requirement of 5'10" to qualify for acceptance.
Search the web for 'British Police History' and you will find dozens of entries re old 'defunct' forces, and current forces, together with many old photos therein.
Best of luck in your search and if you find what I have suggested you may well find much info. re Tynemouth Boro'.

Hi,

This is very interesting - thank you. I will definintely have a look at the British police history on google.

Thanks for your help.
SkyeSpotter

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 February 24 12:06 GMT (UK) »
perhaps contact North Shields library , they often have displays on, and a couple of years back I remember them having one about the local police force, you do not give a name in your post, who are you looking for, there would be special constables during this period, North Shields 173.org  Wilkinsons site contains many photo's that may be of interest to you
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,