Author Topic: Mary Gibson.  (Read 1095 times)

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Gibson.
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 04 February 24 19:13 GMT (UK) »

There's an 1855 death for a Mrs Jane Ballantine at Sanquhar.
The index shows that Jane Ballantine’s other name was Jane Gibson. Mother’s maiden name was Steele.
So Jane will be Aunt to Josiah and Mary, and sister to John Gibson in America.

Sounds like John Gibson, Esq has the family connection to William Steel, the Scottish-born abolitionist who gave Stafford, Ohio it's new name. Explains why John would be in Stafford, then.
Also, I did mention in Reply #12 that Jane/Jean could be their aunt.  ;)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 04 February 24 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Jane Gibson / Ballantine's death certificate will give more details about both parents.
I believe her father will be John Gibson and mother Mary Steel.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 04 February 24 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Partial bio on William Steel: "Born in Biggar, Scotland, on August 26, 1809, and emigrated to the United States with his parents in 1817. The family first settled near Winchester, Virginia, but soon moved to Monroe County, Ohio. From 1830 until the Civil War, Steel was a leader in the “Underground Railroad” in SE Ohio".

So there's another Virginia connection. Perhaps John Gibson, Esq emigrated around the same time as the Steel family, and initially settled in Virginia, as well. That would tie in with Josiah's birth in VA, as per those census records. Mary's birthplace might be VA, too.

Before 1853, systematic statewide recording of births, marriages, and deaths did not occur in Virginia. Many pre-1853 marriage records survive, but birth and death records are rare.

If this is the Gibson family Dalek is researching they're quite interesting, particularly with the abolitionist connection.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 04 February 24 20:45 GMT (UK) »
There is a birth for a John Gibson in 1784 Biggar, Lanarkshire to parents John Gibson and Mary Steel.

This is possibly the same John Gibson who travelled to New York in 1804 (age 19).

Also possibly same John Gibson (merchant) in the 1850 census, Stafford Ohio, with wife Catherine (born 1792 Virginia), and children James (b 1827 Ohio - Dentist), Jane (b 1825 Ohio), William (b 1830 Ohio).

There is a marriage in 1814 in Frederick Virginia for John Gibson to Catherine Crum.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 04 February 24 22:37 GMT (UK) »
You asked what ship was Mary Gibson on.  Passenger list were.  Robert. Mary. Jane. Cargerine. Robert and William.   
Ashtione.   As I’m doing this for my friend.  She has all dates etc and wants to follow on from me, if that’s ok with you.  She’s going to register with Rootschat and follow this thread.     I want to thank you for your help. We think you’ve found her.  Also thanks to other members who assisted.    Dalek🌺

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 04 February 24 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Ship was Australasian    ( Mary Gibson)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 04 February 24 22:52 GMT (UK) »

Offline jackiemico

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 04 February 24 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Just want to thank everyone for all the information on Mary Gibson, I think, Ashtone, you have found her, I will investigate further. Yes, definitely a very interesting family, I'm very lucky to have them.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 04 February 24 23:51 GMT (UK) »
According to the June 1847 marriage notice for Robert Reid & Mary Gibson, the bride's father was "John Gibson, Esq of Stafford, Ohio, U.S."

Also of possible note is that Mary is described as the "eldest daughter" of John GIBSON.