Author Topic: Arthur HAINES - confusion  (Read 283 times)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur HAINES - confusion
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 February 24 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Dr Haines of Willunga is quite quiet about his family

he went to Narracoorte in Nov 1907 as a locum, moving there from Melbourne

His daughter Barbara was b in 1913, according to her burial. The family notice of her marriage says she was the younger daughter of Arthur and Alice

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 February 24 22:19 GMT (UK) »
1921 census has a Claris Haines b1870  Ballarat, Victoria, Australia in Aldenham, Watford. she's with a family and a selection of other people, which suggests to me she's a live in employee (nurse?)

Offline sft456

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 03 February 24 22:57 GMT (UK) »
When I couldn't find a 1911 or 1921 C for Arthur & Claris, (you have for Claris - presumably on her own) I began to wonder if he might have emigrated. There are other Haines in this family who went to Ballarat, Victoria in 1870 & are stll there

Their son William A C was at boarding school in Worcester in 1911 aged 11, someone would have had to be around for him. He would have been conscripted in October 1917

It is poss, if the 2 Arthur's are the same, for him to have emigrated to Australia after 1901, though where Clarissa went I don't know. Perhaps they fell out and divorced. Shame we have no m  details for Alice

I have found no d record for Arthur in England or emigration details. Odd that he would up sticks and leave his family then start a new life with a new wife & kids in another country soon after

Nevertheless, a bur records that a Dr Arthur Haines was b in Walberton, England - very specific, shame the date is 3 ears out. Of course it's just poss that his new wife didn't when he was b - he might have mentioned 1871 closer to her b date of 1875

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 04 February 24 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Tree with photographs of all 4 children in second family, so must have known or know of them. Suggests your Arthur Haines was the same person.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/106563044/person/160052897570/facts

Has 1st wife death England 1951 under her maiden name.

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland