Author Topic: Washington marriage, 1904  (Read 899 times)

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Washington marriage, 1904
« on: Sunday 04 February 24 06:03 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone find a record of the marriage which terminated in this divorce?  Since the notice was published in a Washington newspaper, I assume that it refers to Grant County, Washington but it's possible that it was Grant County, Oregon.  I haven't been able to find a record of the marriage in either state.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Washington marriage, 1904
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 February 24 09:29 GMT (UK) »
According to Family Search Grant County was formed from Douglas County 1909.

Records for Grant County begin 1909.

ADDED
There are 1114 images for Douglas County year 1904 begins at 674
They are not indexed

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 February 24 10:01 GMT (UK) »
I expect you have found Drusilla E Ennis in Echo, Umatilla County Oregon in 1910.

daughter of Rush and Rebecca East.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 February 24 14:19 GMT (UK) »
The full article mentions two suits for divorce & gives Pendleton as the location -  https://www.newspapers.com/article/the-evening-statesman/140229122/

The only Pendleton a Google search is giving me is in Oregon and fairly close to Walla Walla, Washington, so maybe the article is referring to Grant Co., Oregon.

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 February 24 14:56 GMT (UK) »
"Drusilla E Ennis in Echo, Umatilla County Oregon in 1910"

Yes, I had seen that, and the fact that she was in Umatilla County, Oregon is what makes me suspect that her former husband was probably my own Thomas J. Ennis and that the marriage could have occurred in Grant County, Oregon.  However, there were two men named Thomas J. Ennis in and around Walla Walla and Kennewick, Washington in that time period.

My Thomas Ennis settled in Ritter, Grant County, Oregon in about 1890 and lived there with his wife and three children until at least 1903. Thomas's wife died on 3 August 1903 in a Walla Walla hospital. Following her death, the family moved north to Kennewick, Washington. Thomas bought a small parcel of land and built a house there in 1906.

"Clarence Ennis, son of T.J. Ennis arrived last night from Ritter, Ore. He has come to make his home with the family in Section 7.  Their household goods are now on the road and they will soon be in their new house which has just been completed."   [Kennewick Courier, Kennewick, Washington, 6 July 1906].

It seems a good possibility that my T.J. Ennis is the one who married Drusilla but I hope I can find a little more evidence.

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 February 24 15:24 GMT (UK) »
The full article mentions two suits for divorce & gives Pendleton as the location -  https://www.newspapers.com/article/the-evening-statesman/140229122/

The only Pendleton a Google search is giving me is in Oregon and fairly close to Walla Walla, Washington, so maybe the article is referring to Grant Co., Oregon.

Yes, The Pendleton mentioned appears to be in Oregon.

Another source clipping-

Oregon Journal
Monday, Feb 05, 1906
Portland, OR
Page: 2

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 February 24 15:29 GMT (UK) »
I’m not sure that this helps, but according to a tree on Anc*try, Rush and Rebecca East had three daughters.  One, Daisy Jane East, married Sylvester Ennis Mikesell in Howard, Bates, Missouri in 1895.  Sylvester’s parents were George Mikesell and Mary Clark.  Grandparents are unknown.

I wouldn’t think Ennis would be a common middle name.  :-\  I wonder if there is any connection to one of the T.J. Ennis men?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 February 24 16:29 GMT (UK) »
I don't see them listed in this index of Grant County marriages, but it may not be a complete list.

https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index?owc=Q678-3WR%3A1017977001%3Fcc%3D2135625

===
This group of Grant County marriage records keeps telling me to visit one of their partner sites, where ever that maybe. At least this indicates these records are available, but where?

https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index?owc=Q678-3WR%3A1017977001%3Fcc%3D2135625

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 February 24 16:41 GMT (UK) »
As noted, there were two men named Thomas J. Ennis iving in this area in the early 1900s.

My T.J. was born in Wisconsin on 15 January 1861. He was living in Grant County, Oregon in 1903. He was recently widowed and would have been 43 years old when and if he married 21 year-old Drusilla East in 1904. This is not impossible.

The other Thomas J. Ennis was born in Walla Walla, Washington on 25 November 1883.  He  would have been 21 years old when and if he married Drusilla East in 1904.  This Thomas J. Ennis went on to marry Mary Margaret Brown in 1907 but he could have had a brief first marriage to Drusilla.

>>>>>>>>

In either case, the fact that Drusilla's sister Daisy married a man named Sylvester Ennis Mikesell appears to be an odd coincidence.  Certainly my T.J. Ennis had no connection to Missouri and no connection to the surname Mikesell.  And a quick look at a FamilySearch tree for the other Thomas J. Ennis shows no such connections there, either.