Author Topic: WWI Soldiers Medal Cards  (Read 551 times)

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WWI Soldiers Medal Cards
« on: Sunday 04 February 24 07:39 GMT (UK) »
Is it possible to obtain any more information from them ?

I am thining of the page number given on the card.
Kirtland (Oxfordshire Windsor, Berkshire)
Lipscombe (Longwick Berkshire, Maidenhead)
Marsh (London, Monksweirmouth, Durham+Berks  Bucks, Wokingham
Reynolds (Buckinghamshire Stoke on Trent)
Green, Stoke Poges
Brown (Co Durham, Windsor, Wokingham)
Wilson (Eton)
Wise

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: WWI Soldiers Medal Cards
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 February 24 08:10 GMT (UK) »
Is it possible to obtain any more information from them ?

I am thining of the page number given on the card.

The information on the cards came from lists showing the medal entitlements of various regiments and corps. Those lists can (infrequently) have some additional information, such as a previous or subsequent regiment. But that is about it.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 February 24 08:12 GMT (UK) »
The Medal Index Cards have the page reference for the original Medal Rolls. These do sometimes contain additional information, such as date of discharge and number of battalion. The Medal Rolls are available on both Ancestry and Find My Past.If you don't have a subscription then I suggest try your local library which may well have access.

jds1949
Swarbrick - all and any - specially interested in all who served in WW1

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 February 24 09:36 GMT (UK) »
The Medal Index Cards have the page reference for the original Medal Rolls. These do sometimes contain additional information, such as date of discharge and number of battalion. The Medal Rolls are available on both Ancestry and Find My Past.If you don't have a subscription then I suggest try your local library which may well have access.

jds1949

I agree-  looking at the medal roll itself may be the only way ( when there may be no surviving service or other record) of establishing a battalion for many soldiers and that then opens up the possibility of tracking their movements through the unit war diaries.

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 February 24 10:37 GMT (UK) »
The Medal Rolls are available on both Ancestry and Find My Past.
Are you sure about that? As far as I'm aware FindMyPast do not have images of the medal rolls from WO329 which are the critical source for additional details which others have mentioned. Only Ancestry and (I believe - I don't subscribe) Fold3, have these images.

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 February 24 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the long trail link.

I think I may be able to find out more about my  grandfather Leonard Kirtland b. 1885
I know that he joined the ATC as a Driver landed in France in late December 1914.
I had a picture of him that I am trying to find out more about.
His older brother who was in another unit of the RVC is also in the picture (standing)
Judging by the relaxed atmosphere of the pic I think that it was taken near the base at Le Harvre.
The original is very degraded and has been enhanced. I am sure that there must be other clues to the time location.
I will post a temp link to see what others think

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0bcnNGJoMps2n-6cbkLfa11fA

I thought that his unit entered France from Dover but Iam not absolutely certain of that.

Kirtland (Oxfordshire Windsor, Berkshire)
Lipscombe (Longwick Berkshire, Maidenhead)
Marsh (London, Monksweirmouth, Durham+Berks  Bucks, Wokingham
Reynolds (Buckinghamshire Stoke on Trent)
Green, Stoke Poges
Brown (Co Durham, Windsor, Wokingham)
Wilson (Eton)
Wise

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 February 24 10:47 GMT (UK) »
The Medal Rolls are available on both Ancestry and Find My Past.
Are you sure about that? As far as I'm aware FindMyPast do not have images of the medal rolls from WO329 which are the critical source for additional details which others have mentioned. Only Ancestry and (I believe - I don't subscribe) Fold3, have these images.

As you correctly say, Find My Past do not have the images of the Medal Rolls.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 February 24 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the long trail link.

I think I may be able to find out more about my  grandfather Leonard Kirtland b. 1885
I know that he joined the ATC as a Driver landed in France in late December 1914.
I had a picture of him that I am trying to find out more about.
His older brother who was in another unit of the RVC is also in the picture.
Judging by the relaxed atmosphere of the pic I think that it was taken near the base at Le Harvre.
I will post a temp link to see what others think

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0bcnNGJoMps2n-6cbkLfa11fA

I thought that his unit entered France from Dover but Iam not absolutely certain of that.

If you want expert input on all of this, go to the Great War Forum. They can date photos, ID uniforms, etc. Will often lookup medal rolls (though you may not be supposed to ask - look at instructions - but many will anyway).
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area