Author Topic: Translation of latin will of Thomas Pydde of Cringleford, Norfolk 1500  (Read 365 times)

Offline Mercian7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Translation of latin will of Thomas Pydde of Cringleford, Norfolk 1500
« on: Sunday 04 February 24 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am struggling trying to transcribe and translate the latin will of Thomas Pydde of Cringleford, Norfolk 1500. This is as far as I have got and I hope the post does not create spaces where none exist like the last attempt to make this post. If anyone would like a go at transcribing the will ( image attached ) please do. It would help me a lot as I have several to do from the 1400s and 1500s and they are similar handwriting:

In dei nomine Amen. visesimo die mensis Augusti Anno D
  • m[ini]

Anno D
  • m[ini] millmo quingentesimo Ego Thoms Pydde de

Cryngylford iiix _______ compos ments  et sane intelligete
condo ___ test[a]m[entum] meu[m] in hunc modu[m] In prms  lego a[n]i[ma]m ___
deo __ omnipotenti B[ea]te[que] Marie virgini __ petro advocato ____
ac om[n]ibs san[ctu]s corpus q[ue] meu[m] ad sepeliend[um] in cimit[er]io Sed petri
____ de Cryngelford p[re]dict ___ sum[m]o altar lego pro
Cryngylford
Item lego Itm lego  ___ Elizabeth uxori mee Anna

Many Thanks
John

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Translation of latin will of Thomas Pydde of Cringleford, Norfolk 1500
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 February 24 12:52 GMT (UK) »
You made an excellent attempt for the start of this will.

This is a register copy of the will, and the probate clerk has got somewhat confused in the copying, repeating some words and omitting some original text where other words are repeated. You might want to see if the original will also survives at the archive, as it looks like the description of a piece of property has been omitted.

====
In dei Nomine Amen Ultimo die mensis Augusti Anno D(omi)ni

Anno D(omi)ni millesimo quingentesimo  Ego Thomas Pydde de

Cryngylford iux(ta) Norwicu(m) compos mentis ac sane intellige(n)tie

condo p(rese)ns testam(entum) meu(m) in hunc modu(m)  In primis lego a(n)i(m)am mea(m)

Deo p(at)ri om(n)ipotenti B(ea)te Ma(ri)e Virgini S(anc)to petro advocato meo

ac om(n)ibus s(anc)tis corpus q(ue) meu(m) ad sepeliend(um) in Cimit(er)io S(anc)ti Petri

Ap(osto)li de Cryngelford p(re)dicto ad cuius summ(um) altar(em) lego p(ro)

decimis meis oblit(is) ijs It(e)m lego rep(ar)acioni eccl(es)ie s(anc)ti petri de

Cryngylford ... [some original text omitted here] ... cu(m) om(n)ibus t(er)r(is) & prat(is) ad hoc mesuagiu(m) p(er)tinen(tiis)

It(e)m lego It(e)m lego p(re)d(i)c(t)e Elizabeth(e) ux(or)i mee om(n)ia utensilia dom(us)

mee  om(n)ibus alijs bonis meis no(n) legat(is) do & lego in disposic(i)o(ne)m

executo(rum) meo(rum) ut ip(s)i dispona(n)t pro salute a(n)ime mee p(ro)ut ip(s)is

melius videat(ur) Deo placere  Quos ordino & constituo michi

dil(e)c(t)os in Chr(ist)o Elizabetha(m) ux(or)em mea(m) & Rob(er)tus palme[?]

Cov(er)lyghe Wev(er)e de Cryngylford p(re)dict(o)  Et lego eid(e)m Rob(er)to Palme[?]

p(ro) labore suo vs  Huius ante(a)[?] test(amenti) mei ordino & constituo

Ric(ard)u(m) Pydde p(at)rem meu(m) sup(er)visore(m)  Dat(um) apud Cryngilford

p(re)dictum die & anno sup(ra)dict(is)  hijs testib(us) Joh(an)ne Wylkyns de

Norwic(o) Capellano & Helena Palme[?] vidua acecia(m) sigillu(m)

meu(m) apposui

Probatu(m) fuit p(rese)ns test(ament)u(m) In Capell(a) S(anc)ti Leonardi p(ro)pe

Nor(wi)c(um) cora(m) M(agist)r(o) Rogero Churche Com(m)iss(ar)io p(re)dict(o) &c xij

die mens(is) Septembr(is) Anno D(omi)ni mill(esi)mo quingentesimo

Et co(m)missa fuit Adm(in)istrac(i)o executoribus in for(ma) iur(is) Jurat(is)

In cui(us) rei testi(m)on(ium) &c  Dat(um) &c

[marginated]
Dimiss(us) p(er) D(omi)nu(m) Com(m)issariu(m) in for(ma) paup(er)is

Translation
In the name of God Amen. On the last day of the month of August in the year of the Lord in the year of the Lord one thousand five hundred. I, Thomas Pydde of Cryngylford near Norwich, being of sound mind and healthy understanding, make this my present will in this manner: first I bequeath my soul to God the Father Almighty, the Blessed Virgin Mary, St Peter my advocate, and all the saints, and my body to be buried in the churchyard of St Peter the Apostle of Cryngelford aforesaid, to the high altar of which I bequeath 2 shillings for my forgotten tithes. Item, I bequeath for the repairing of the church of St Peter of Cryngleford [original text omitted here], with all the lands and meadows belonging to that messuage. Item I bequeath Item I bequeath to the aforesaid Elizabeth my wife all the implements of my house. As for all my other unbequeathed goods I give and bequeath them to the disposition of my executors, for them to distribute for the health of my soul just as seems best to them for pleasing God. I ordain and constitute them my beloved in Christ Elizabeth my wife and Robert Palme[?], coverlyghe[?] weaver of Cryngylford aforesaid, [the word ‘executors’ missing?]  And I bequeath to the same Robert Palme[?] 5 shillings for his labour. I ordain and constitute Richard Pydde my father supervisor of this my aforesaid will. These being witnesses, John Wylkyns of Norwich, chaplain, and Helen Palme[?], widow, and also I have fixed my seal.

The present will was proved in the chapel of St Leonard near Norwich before Master Roger Churche, the aforesaid commissary etc., on the twelfth day of the month of September in the year of the Lord one thousand five hundred, and administration was granted to the executors, who were sworn in form of law. In witness of this matter etc., dated etc.

[marginated]
Discharged by the Master Commissary ‘in the manner of a pauper’
(indicating that the goods were insufficient to require a probate fee or submission of an inventory and accounts.)

Offline Mercian7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 February 24 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Goodness You are an absolute master at this ! I have been trying word by word for weeks. I frankly have never had training in latin and need to learn as my research is now drawing into the time before parish registers exist. I think these copies are the only ones that exist in Norwich Records Office but I will check with them. I do not suppose you could have a look at another please ? Thomas Pydde's will is the earliest from Cringleford but I think there is a link with two other places beforehand. One is Rynglond ( Ringland ) and there is a will of a William Pede ( both Pydde and Pede are early variants of my name Pead ) in 1477 and then there is the earliest will of Roger Pede in Elyngham Magna in 1392. The latter was lost for some time as the numbering system in the calendar of wills referred to a different size page number and I was able to find the will eventually by trawling through many pages. Unfortunately the 1392 mss is much damaged and I had to try massaging the image to get any words at all.
Anyway, even if you feel you have done enough, I thank you with all my heart.
John

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 February 24 15:28 GMT (UK) »
I'll have a go at William later. I doubt I'll get much that is of use out of Roger.

Offline Mercian7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 February 24 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. I really appreciate this.

I'll have a go at William later. I doubt I'll get much that is of use out of Roger.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 February 24 20:19 GMT (UK) »
William Pede 1477/78

A few words missing, I’m afraid. Others may be able to help?

====
In dei Nomine Amen  Ego Will(el)mus pede de Rynglond compos ment(is) & bone me(mori)e[?]

t(er)cio die mens(is) Januarij Anno D(omi)ni m cccclxxvijmo condo test(ament)u(m) meu(m) in hunc modu(m) Inp(rim)is

lego a(n)i(m)am deo patri om(n)ipotenti beate Marie & om(n)ibus sanct(is) corpus q(ue) meu(m) ad

sepeli(en)d(um) in Cimit(er)io Eccl(es)ie s(anc)ti Petri de Rynglond p(re)dict(o)  It(em) lego sum(m)o altari iiijd

It(em) lego ad lumen cora(m) crucifixo sup(er) le […]* in dict(a) Eccles(ia) vli cere  It(em) lego Ag-

neti Pede unu(m) […] & unu(m) salte   It(em) lego & assigno Alicie ux(or)i mee om(n)ia

utensilia & necessaria mea domi mee  It(em) lego p(re)fat(e) Alicie uxor(em) mea(m) om(n)i(a) t(er)re

et tenementa mea in quo inhabito ad t(er)m(inum) vite sue  Et post decessu(m) p(re)f(ate) Alicie

volo & assigno q(uo)d om(n)ia p(re)dic(ta) t(er)re & ten(ementa) vendantur p(er) [ex(ecutores)] meos & pecuni(e) inde p(ro)venien(tes)

distribuant(ur) in pijs usis pro a(n)i(m)abus meis & p(ro) a(n)i(m)abus […] mear(um) ut in miss(is) celebra(n)d(i)s

alijs elemos(inis) & domus caritatis ut ipsi disponant p(ro) a(n)i(m)ab(us) n(ost)r(is) ut viderint deo placer(e)

& a(n)i(m)ab(us) n(ost)ris p(ro)desse  Et ad ista(m) ultima(m) voluntate(m) mea(m) p(ro)ficiend(um) & bene & fide(liter)

fac(er)e ordino & co(n)stituo Alicia(m) ux(or)em mea(m) Robert(um) pede & Johannem Att[…]ier ex(ecutores) me(os)

ut ip(s)i […] & dispona(n)t om(n)ia p(re)dic(t)a cu(m) residuu[…] aliqua fu(er)i(n)t p(ro) ut viderint

deo placere &c  Dat(um) die loco & anno supradic(tis)

Probatu(m) &c cora(m) nob(is) Offi(ciali) Com(missario) D(omi)ni Nor(wici) Epi(scopi) ac p(er) nos approbat(um) & Insinuat(um)

[?]sexto die mensis Januarij mill(es)imo cccclxxvijmo  Com(m)issa fuit adm(ini)str(acio) om(nium) bonor(um)

&c dict(i) def(uncti) &c […] h(uius)mod(i) test(amenti) […] Alicie Relicte d(i)c(t)i def(unct)i executrici in eod(em) test(ament)o

no(m)i(n)at(e) in for(ma) iur(is) iurat(e)  Res(er)vata pot(estat)e com(m)ittend(um) h(uius)mo(d)i adm(ini)stra(cionem) &c alijs ex(ecutoribus) in

eod(em) tes(tamento) no(m)i(n)at(is) cu(m) ven(er)int ea(m) in forma iur(is) […]**  In cui(us) r(ei) &c.

* probably an English word
** usually petituri, but it doesn’t look like that here

=====
Translation
In the name of God Amen. I William Pede of Ringland, being sane in mind and of good memory[?], on the third day of the month of January in the year of the Lord 1477[/78] make my testament in this manner. First I bequeath my soul to God the Father Almighty, the Blessed Mary and all the saints, and my body to be buried in the graveyard of the Church of St Peter of Ringland aforesaid. Item, I leave to the high altar, 4 pence. Item, I leave to the light before the crucifix over the […] in the said church, 4 pounds of wax. Item, I leave to Agnes Pede one […] and one salt-cellar. Item, I leave and assign to Alice my wife all my utensils and the necessaries of my house. Item, I leave to the aforesaid Alice my wife all my lands and tenements in which I live. And after the death of the aforesaid Alice, I will and assign that all the aforesaid lands and tenements be sold by my [executors], and the money thence arising should be distributed for pious purposes, for my soul and the souls of my […] for celebrating masses, other alms and for houses of charity, so that they should arrange for our souls as seems best, for pleasing God and for the advancement of our souls. And for carrying out this my last will, and doing it well and faithfully, I ordain and constitute Alice my wife, Robert Pede and John Att[…]er to be my executors, so that they may […] and arrange all the aforesaid things […] just as will seem pleasing to God etc. Given on the abovesaid day, place and year.

Proved etc. before us, the Official Commissary of the Lord Bishop of Norwich, and approved and inserted on the [?]sixth day of the month of January 1477/78. Administration of all the goods etc. of the said deceased etc. […] of this will was granted to Alice, relict of the said deceased, the executrix named in the same will, who was sworn in form of law; power reserved of granting this administration etc. to the other executors named in the same will when they will [seek?] it in form of law. In witness of this matter etc.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 February 24 04:30 GMT (UK) »

I've had a look but without profit.  The thing under the crucifix is frustrating - I feel it should be readable but can't consummate the deal.

In the original image I think it must be Palm(er)e (three times). I acknowledge that the spacing of the e and the contraction mark isn't quite the same as in wev(er)e.

I would incline towards:  Cov(er)lyght

Not much help, I'm afraid.

Offline Mercian7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 February 24 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Personally I would say you have done a miraculous thing in transcribing this will.I am very, very thankful I assure you. This one and the earlier one are in a terrible state in the original, maybe damaged in the Norwich floods for all I know. Thank you so much again. I will puzzle over the missing words; perhaps a medieval term for part of a church or altar in the case of the word after crucifix. I will have a think and look at my medieval words books.

William Pede 1477/78

====
In dei Nomine Amen  Ego Will(el)mus pede de Rynglond compos ment(is) & bone me(mori)e[?]

t(er)cio die mens(is) Januarij Anno D(omi)ni m cccclxxvijmo condo test(ament)u(m) meu(m) in hunc modu(m) Inp(rim)is

lego a(n)i(m)am deo patri om(n)ipotenti beate Marie & om(n)ibus sanct(is) corpus q(ue) meu(m) ad

sepeli(en)d(um) in Cimit(er)io Eccl(es)ie s(anc)ti Petri de Rynglond p(re)dict(o)  It(em) lego sum(m)o altari iiijd

It(em) lego ad lumen cora(m) crucifixo sup(er) le […]* in dict(a) Eccles(ia) vli cere  It(em) lego Ag-

neti Pede unu(m) […] & unu(m) salte   It(em) lego & assigno Alicie ux(or)i mee om(n)ia

utensilia & necessaria mea domi mee  It(em) lego p(re)fat(e) Alicie uxor(em) mea(m) om(n)i(a) t(er)re

et tenementa mea in quo inhabito ad t(er)m(inum) vite sue  Et post decessu(m) p(re)f(ate) Alicie

volo & assigno q(uo)d om(n)ia p(re)dic(ta) t(er)re & ten(ementa) vendantur p(er) [ex(ecutores)] meos & pecuni(e) inde p(ro)venien(tes)

distribuant(ur) in pijs usis pro a(n)i(m)abus meis & p(ro) a(n)i(m)abus […] mear(um) ut in miss(is) celebra(n)d(i)s

alijs elemos(inis) & domus caritatis ut ipsi disponant p(ro) a(n)i(m)ab(us) n(ost)r(is) ut viderint deo placer(e)

& a(n)i(m)ab(us) n(ost)ris p(ro)desse  Et ad ista(m) ultima(m) voluntate(m) mea(m) p(ro)ficiend(um) & bene & fide(liter)

fac(er)e ordino & co(n)stituo Alicia(m) ux(or)em mea(m) Robert(um) pede & Johannem Att[…]ier ex(ecutores) me(os)

ut ip(s)i […] & dispona(n)t om(n)ia p(re)dic(t)a cu(m) residuu[…] aliqua fu(er)i(n)t p(ro) ut viderint

deo placere &c  Dat(um) die loco & anno supradic(tis)

Probatu(m) &c cora(m) nob(is) Offi(ciali) Com(missario) D(omi)ni Nor(wici) Epi(scopi) ac p(er) nos approbat(um) & Insinuat(um)

[?]sexto die mensis Januarij mill(es)imo cccclxxvijmo  Com(m)issa fuit adm(ini)str(acio) om(nium) bonor(um)

&c dict(i) def(uncti) &c […] h(uius)mod(i) test(amenti) […] Alicie Relicte d(i)c(t)i def(unct)i executrici in eod(em) test(ament)o

no(m)i(n)at(e) in for(ma) iur(is) iurat(e)  Res(er)vata pot(estat)e com(m)ittend(um) h(uius)mo(d)i adm(ini)stra(cionem) &c alijs ex(ecutoribus) in

eod(em) tes(tamento) no(m)i(n)at(is) cu(m) ven(er)int ea(m) in forma iur(is) […]**  In cui(us) r(ei) &c.

* probably an English word
** usually petituri, but it doesn’t look like that here

=====
Translation
In the name of God Amen. I William Pede of Ringland, being sane in mind and of good memory[?], on the third day of the month of January in the year of the Lord 1477[/78] make my testament in this manner. First I bequeath my soul to God the Father Almighty, the Blessed Mary and all the saints, and my body to be buried in the graveyard of the Church of St Peter of Ringland aforesaid. Item, I leave to the high altar, 4 pence. Item, I leave to the light before the crucifix over the […] in the said church, 4 pounds of wax. Item, I leave to Agnes Pede one […] and one salt-cellar. Item, I leave and assign to Alice my wife all my utensils and the necessaries of my house. Item, I leave to the aforesaid Alice my wife all my lands and tenements in which I live. And after the death of the aforesaid Alice, I will and assign that all the aforesaid lands and tenements be sold by my [executors], and the money thence arising should be distributed for pious purposes, for my soul and the souls of my […] for celebrating masses, other alms and for houses of charity, so that they should arrange for our souls as seems best, for pleasing God and for the advancement of our souls. And for carrying out this my last will, and doing it well and faithfully, I ordain and constitute Alice my wife, Robert Pede and John Att[…]er to be my executors, so that they may […] and arrange all the aforesaid things […] just as will seem pleasing to God etc. Given on the abovesaid day, place and year.

Proved etc. before us, the Official Commissary of the Lord Bishop of Norwich, and approved and inserted on the [?]sixth day of the month of January 1477/78. Administration of all the goods etc. of the said deceased etc. […] of this will was granted to Alice, relict of the said deceased, the executrix named in the same will, who was sworn in form of law; power reserved of granting this administration etc. to the other executors named in the same will when they will [seek?] it in form of law. In witness of this matter etc.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 February 24 12:26 GMT (UK) »
In the original image I think it must be Palm(er)e (three times). I acknowledge that the spacing of the e and the contraction mark isn't quite the same as in wev(er)e.

I would incline towards:  Cov(er)lyght

I agree with both the above suggestions.

I'll have a look at the last will later today.