Author Topic: Translation of latin will of Thomas Pydde of Cringleford, Norfolk 1500  (Read 364 times)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Translation of latin will of Thomas Pydde of Cringleford, Norfolk 1500
« Reply #9 on: Monday 05 February 24 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Roger Pede 1392

It’s hardly worth posting this, especially as the part in the middle that may contain more names is obscured.
Text in square brackets is speculative.

=====
In dei no(m)i(n)e Amen A(nn)o d(omi)ni m(i)l(lesim)o CCC[…..] non(o) Febr(uarii) in festo S(anc)te Agathe v(ir)g(in)is Ego Rogerus Pede

ar(miger) de Elyngh(a)m Mag(na) co(n)do [testamentum meum] in hu(n)c mod(um  In p(ri)mi(s) com(m)endo a(n)i(m)am mea(m) d(e)o o(mn)ipotenti b(eat)e

M(arie) et o(mn)ib(us) s(anc)tis et corp(us) meu(m) ad [sepeliendum] i(n) cimit(er)io ecc(les)ie p(re)dic(t)e  It(em) lego sum(m)o altari Ecc(les)ie p(re)d(i)c[te]

ijs et altari b(ea)te M(arie) xijd [………………….] xijd  It(em) lego ad Emendac(ionem) [vie Regis?]

xld  It(em) lego cap[elle]/cap[ellano] p(ar)ochie viijd  Et [……………………………………….] Residuu(m) om(n)iu(m) bonor(um) meo(rum) mobiliu(m) et im(m)ob[ilium]

lego exec(utoribus) meis videl(ice)t Rob(er)t(o) [……………………………] Joh(ann)i atte Castel[?] de Elyngh(a)m parva[?] ad [……..]

et disponend(um) p(ro) a(n)i(m)a mea [……………] in elemosinis

P(ro)bat(um) fuit istud t(esta)m(entum) apud […..] Offic(ial’) [...……..] a(nn)o [……………..]

[…]  Et co(mmissa) e(rat) ad(ministraci)o bo(norum) &c exec[utoribus in eodem testamento] no(m)i(n)(atis)

Translation
In the name of God Amen. In the year of the Lord one thousand three hundred [….........] ninth of February in the Feast of St Agatha the Virgin. I, Roger Pede Esquire, of Great Ellingham do make [my will] in this manner. First I commend my soul to God Almighty, the Blessed Mary and all the saints, and my body to be buried in the graveyard of the aforesaid church. Item, I leave to the high altar of the aforesaid church, 2 shillings, and to the altar of the Blessed Mary, 12 pence [………………….] 12 pence. Item, I leave to the repairing of [the King’s highway?], 40 pence. Item, I leave to the chapel/chaplain of the parish, 8 pence. And […………….] The rest of all my goods moveable and immoveable I leave to my executors, namely Robert [……...], John atte Castel[?] of Little Ellingham to [….] and dispose for my soul [………..] in alms.
This will was proved at […….] Official [………] in the year […………] and administration of the goods etc was granted to the exec[utors named in the same will]

Offline Mercian7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Please do not think the transcription was worth doing as what you have been able to interpret is magnificent. This will must have been subject to a bad decay as you can see from the page version I am attaching. Anything that could be gleaned was a huge help. I think you could consider forming a business to do these transcriptions/translations as you are really good at it and there must be many frustrated non latin scholars out there that would swamp you with orders. Again thank you so much
John

Roger Pede 1392

It’s hardly worth posting this, especially as the part in the middle that may contain more names is obscured.
Text in square brackets is speculative.

=====
In dei no(m)i(n)e Amen A(nn)o d(omi)ni m(i)l(lesim)o CCC[…..] non(o) Febr(uarii) in festo S(anc)te Agathe v(ir)g(in)is Ego Rogerus Pede

ar(miger) de Elyngh(a)m Mag(na) co(n)do [testamentum meum] in hu(n)c mod(um  In p(ri)mi(s) com(m)endo a(n)i(m)am mea(m) d(e)o o(mn)ipotenti b(eat)e

M(arie) et o(mn)ib(us) s(anc)tis et corp(us) meu(m) ad [sepeliendum] i(n) cimit(er)io ecc(les)ie p(re)dic(t)e  It(em) lego sum(m)o altari Ecc(les)ie p(re)d(i)c[te]

ijs et altari b(ea)te M(arie) xijd [………………….] xijd  It(em) lego ad Emendac(ionem) [vie Regis?]

xld  It(em) lego cap[elle]/cap[ellano] p(ar)ochie viijd  Et [……………………………………….] Residuu(m) om(n)iu(m) bonor(um) meo(rum) mobiliu(m) et im(m)ob[ilium]

lego exec(utoribus) meis videl(ice)t Rob(er)t(o) [……………………………] Joh(ann)i atte Castel[?] de Elyngh(a)m parva[?] ad [……..]

et disponend(um) p(ro) a(n)i(m)a mea [……………] in elemosinis

P(ro)bat(um) fuit istud t(esta)m(entum) apud […..] Offic(ial’) [...……..] a(nn)o [……………..]

[…]  Et co(mmissa) e(rat) ad(ministraci)o bo(norum) &c exec[utoribus in eodem testamento] no(m)i(n)(atis)

Translation
In the name of God Amen. In the year of the Lord one thousand three hundred [….........] ninth of February in the Feast of St Agatha the Virgin. I, Roger Pede Esquire, of Great Ellingham do make [my will] in this manner. First I commend my soul to God Almighty, the Blessed Mary and all the saints, and my body to be buried in the graveyard of the aforesaid church. Item, I leave to the high altar of the aforesaid church, 2 shillings, and to the altar of the Blessed Mary, 12 pence [………………….] 12 pence. Item, I leave to the repairing of [the King’s highway?], 40 pence. Item, I leave to the chapel/chaplain of the parish, 8 pence. And […………….] The rest of all my goods moveable and immoveable I leave to my executors, namely Robert [……...], John atte Castel[?] of Little Ellingham to [….] and dispose for my soul [………..] in alms.
This will was proved at […….] Official [………] in the year […………] and administration of the goods etc was granted to the exec[utors named in the same will]

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 16:27 GMT (UK) »
You're welcome. Glad there was something of use there.