Author Topic: Matthew Wilkinson 1807-1838 death and family  (Read 924 times)

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Matthew Wilkinson 1807-1838 death and family
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 08 February 24 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Northumberland and Durham Memorials  ref: FindMyPast

In memory of Elizabeth  Wilkinson the beloved wife of Jonathan Wilkinson of Moorsley  who died September 16th 1896 age 64
Also Elizabeth Ann their daughter who died April 22nd 1873 aged 17 also Margery Milburn their daughter who died March 18th 1889 aged 31.

Offline mongojoby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 08 February 24 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Northumberland and Durham Memorials  ref: FindMyPast

In memory of Elizabeth  Wilkinson the beloved wife of Jonathan Wilkinson of Moorsley  who died September 16th 1896 age 64
Also Elizabeth Ann their daughter who died April 22nd 1873 aged 17 also Margery Milburn their daughter who died March 18th 1889 aged 31.

Thank you very much for this - I’ve gone back to my records and reminded myself I never found a death certificate for Elizabeth (I have Jonathan’s from 1906).
I’ve had a quick look but still unable to find an obvious death record even with the date.

Offline mongojoby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 08 February 24 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Notes - transcription only on FindMyPast

Jonathan Wilkinson married Esther Anderson (sp) ? 13 August 1840 Houghton le Spring
His father Jonathan Wilkinson
Her father Thomas Anderson

Need the original to see if it's a transcription error.

Transcription only on ancestry says Jonathan is a widower

This marriage has been transcribed independently on Durham Records Online. https://www.durhamrecordsonline.com/NewSearch.php

A bit of cross-referencing on a search of the index confirms that Jonathan's father was also called Jonathan, and that Esther's father was called Thomas. Abode at the time of marriage was Collier Row.

Brilliant, thank you both.

So this goes back to a Jonathan of about the right age being on the 1851 census with Jonathan Wilkinson and Esther (along with another niece Margaret). Why would Margery Alderson have been recorded as a lodger rather than mother in law?

Where do you think this leaves the possibility of my Jonathan being the son of Matthew Wilkinson 1808 & Mary Burrell?

Could he have been recorded twice on the 1851 census? Do you think there possibility he was incorrectly recorded as Mathew on the 1841 census? Or is that too far fetched.

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 09 February 24 18:36 GMT (UK) »
For the death of Elizabeth Wilkinson the one registered Houghton 1896 age 64 should be the one.

The memorial says she is 64 it's off by 3 years since she was baptised 18 January 1829 at Barnard Castle, daughter of Thomas and Margery.

I have been trying to find anything that is further proof such as marriages with either a brother or a sister as a witness. Nothing so far.

I am going back to the 1851 census with Jonathan 17 and Margaret 15 living with Jonathan and Esther.
Margaret 15 would be Jonathan's sister she was baptised Pittington 22 July 1838.
-------------------
Since William Robinson and Mary Wilkinson did not marry each other per the Record Office, it makes the William Robinson 1845 with mother's maiden name Burrell and Thomas 1848 with mother's maiden name Burrell puzzling.
It would be expensive but it would be nice to know who they have Mary Wilkinson married  1843 reg. Stockton.
---------------

When it comes to naming the children of Matthew and Mary Wilkinson nee Burrell - first daughter Dorothy - for her mother, second daughter Mary either for Mary or Matthew's mother, first son Jonathan for his father,  then Ann, Margaret and Isabella seem to be Burrell family names, Mary had sisters with those names.     

Offline mongojoby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 09 February 24 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the death record.

It wasn't showing on freebmd but have found it on the gro index and got a digital record - my Matthew, her son was the informant so that is an added bonus in terms of more evidence of that link.

Re the 1851 census.

A Margaret of similar age is also recorded with Mary, now Robinson, so that confuses me more. I was wondering if it could be possible they were at uncles and recorded twice.

I’m wondering if birth details of Isabella Wilkinson abt 1840, with Mary in 1841 (and 1851 with age out) may help, as can’t find any birth records that would match with Matthew being her father as he died mid 1838. Can you see any possibles worth looking at? 

Offline Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 09 February 24 19:59 GMT (UK) »
It looks like Mary Wilkinson married John/Joseph Wilson in 1843. Marriage index is John and England Marriages is Joseph but all other names match and source details (page and column numbers) suggest they are the same marriages as the index.
Added Newspaper report is Joseph Wilson

Wilson & Wilkinson
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NNV4-1L7
Caine & Akenhead
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NNV4-1L4
Readman & Braithwaite
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NNV4-B2L
Robinson & Hunter
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NNV4-B2R

Offline mongojoby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 09 February 24 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Great thank you, that rules it out that the marriage relates to the Mary Wilkinson nee Burrell that I am interested in

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 11 February 24 06:55 GMT (UK) »
Nothing found for Isabella Wilkinson.
1851 there is an Edward Wilkinson age 8 who I can't find either there is one in Gateshead 1842 but that seems too far away.
Registration wasn't mandatory so finding a baptism would be helpful.

1851 there is an Edward Robinson age 11, which would indicate William was a widower. It seems the two widowed parties just moved in together and in was a coincidence about the marriage entry.

Offline mongojoby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 11 February 24 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Nothing found for Isabella Wilkinson.
1851 there is an Edward Wilkinson age 8 who I can't find either there is one in Gateshead 1842 but that seems too far away.
Registration wasn't mandatory so finding a baptism would be helpful.

1851 there is an Edward Robinson age 11, which would indicate William was a widower. It seems the two widowed parties just moved in together and in was a coincidence about the marriage entry.

I ordered the digital copy of William Robinson’s 1845 birth, to see if it gave any clues but she is just named as Mary Robinson formerly Burrell. Would it have been normal for Wilkinson to be listed there?

The 1851 census just feels a bit odd to me.with the diffferent ages of kids and being unable to find corresponding birth records for Isabella or Edward Wilkinson. Or any further record of Edward Wilkinson.

The 1861 census also confuses me it’s got two Wilkinson grandchildren on it, but can’t match them up anywhere.