Author Topic: Diary weekend ending 11th February  (Read 2872 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Diary weekend ending 11th February
« on: Monday 05 February 24 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Only just realised that this is a Leap Year!  ::)  I really must get a grip on things, but the days pass so quickly that it's hard enough just to remember which day of the week it is.
Rather a dull day here, though not cold or windy. 

Tonight I'll be going to a talk about the National Coast Watch Institution by one of its volunteers who lives locally.  First started in Cornwall after several Coastguard stations were closed down by the government in the 1990s, there are now NCIs all around the UK, volunteers working alongside the coastguards.  Should be interesting.

Neighbourhood cats have discovered that my husband has dug over the veg patch and there's lots of lovely soil for them to come and do their business on - I am ready to throw jugs of water at the pesky things.  I'm a dog lover and I really don't like cats at all (sorry, cat lovers).
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary weekend ending 11th February
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 February 24 16:32 GMT (UK) »
A dull dark day here in The North West.

Cleaned the bathroom the after such a high level of excitement needed to sit in a darkened room but Tipping Point is on so can I stand the excitement-.
A ham joint for  tea  ,green beans,sprouts , potatoes cooked in cream and a spiced sauce , oh and dead posh- pineapple !

A cuppa first though.

Daughter phones tonight with all the latest news of Flash Harry (G,Grandson 7 ) and the one baby demolition squad Kyra, 2)

Well have my cuppa and once more into the breach (breech? )
Viktoria.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 08:16 GMT (UK) »
I felt quite shocked to hear the news that King Charles has cancer. I do feel relieved for him (and us) though that it sounds like things have been caught early and prognosis is said to be good.
I think he should take all the time off he needs to get this sorted out and recover and like countless others in the UK and around the world I do wish him well with this.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Yes it was shocking news RTL, he and the rest of the Royal family haven't had things very easy since the coronation. Very difficult for William with his wife having a long recovery period after her operation and now having to stand in for his father.
Pleased to see that Harry is doing the right thing and is on his way over.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Taraaaa! The real Roobarb is back on their bike!

Well there is some goodish news,the cancer was seen in the routine scans taken for the prostate treatment it seems so hopefully caught early .
We still don’t know where though.

Almost glad The Queen is not here to worry about this news.

A dark rainy day here, but nothing like the extreme weather in California.

Thoughts go with those who have health worries themselves ,we have quite a few amongst RootsChatters haven’t we.

Viktoria.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 10:20 GMT (UK) »
I had my docs appointment yesterday re long term sleeping issues which has worsened I think due to stress over family members' ongoing health situations.
Doc asked if I would like to have a break but I don't want a sick note because you lose the first 3 days pay and only statutory sick pay after that which is not enough to live on.
She also mentioned cutting down on caffeine.  Drinking hot water instead of tea, perhaps.  I really like tea so that sounds very 'Prisoner Cell Block H' to me.  Besides I have tried that before and it didn't really sort things.
I was also offered a medication but only 3 tablets as she said it was very addictive and that people come back asking for more but they can't have more.  The idea of taking something potentially addictive felt a bit scary so I ended up declining that.
So it all feels like a bit of wasted time, really.  I think in retrospect I should not have made that appointment although I appreciate Doctor did try to help.   I think I'll just have to wait it out until my rotaed holiday and hope that this helps things .
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Every family has their own health worries, and I feel rather glad that there is not the great secrecy about King Charles' health problems that would have been in earlier decades.
I don't need or wish to know more details about the various health issues any of them have, it doesn't matter if it's a hysterectomy or a cancer,  except to the individuals and their nearest and dearest, but feel it's a generally good move to be a bit more open, and wish him well.
He's got the right woman by his side to support him.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 10:35 GMT (UK) »
RTL, I'm so sorry to hear your appointment with the doctor wasn't very fruitful. I completely understand your not wanting to take such addictive medication, I'd be exactly the same. I hope your stress is soon eased and you manage to get some decent sleep. Hang on in there there.  :-*
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 10:49 GMT (UK) »
I like Earl Grey decaffeinated tea, as too much caffein gives me rapid heart beats .
You can get ordinary teas decaf too ,also Nescafé do a decaf coffee no difference in taste .

Hope it helps .
Viktoria.