Author Topic: Diary weekend ending 11th February  (Read 2873 times)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary weekend ending 11th February
« Reply #18 on: Friday 09 February 24 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Oh I am sure Roobarb someone will, next programme is Monday .
I shall watch and see .
Viktoria.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 09 February 24 23:40 GMT (UK) »
She was definitely not beheaded!
She spent her days at Kimbolton Castle, as was, it’s now a public school just down the road from me… my daughter got married there!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 10 February 24 08:59 GMT (UK) »
I think she would have been beheaded if Henry didn't have to worry about any backlash from Spain.  I think he would have trumped up some charge against her if he could have got away with it, wicked man that he was! >:(

This week on my commutes I noticed one house still with Christmas lights in garden.  Also a woman on the bus wearing a Christmas bobble hat.  Maybe some people just don't feel ready to give up Christmas cheer yet. Mind, I felt so cold yesterday morning on way to work, I wished I could have worn my warmest jumper which is a Christmas one with a reindeer on.
I have noticed some younger women on buses wearing ribbons in their hair.  I wonder if this fashion might be coming back?
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 10 February 24 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps they have been watching the wonderful “ Cranford” with Judy Dench amongst other super actresses and actors.
Sunday afternoons.
Imelda Staunton etc.

Katherine had a bad time after her first husband Prince Arthur died very shortly after their marriage ,couldn’t go back to Spain in case she was pregnant ,then left relatively poor as Ferdinand her father had not paid all her dowry so Horrid Henry The Seventh  kept her very poor ,then Henry The Eighth saw her and they married but she had to declare her marriage to Arthur was unconsummated .
Henry chose to follow one  passage in The Bible saying “ Thou shallt take unto thyself thy brother’s widow “etc — BUT - later another saying “ Thou shalt not
take unto thyself ,etc etc .”
Whatever was convenient.!
I must look them up when I have spare time ———- ;D
Just reading a book about Katherine’s  sister Joanna, I have mentioned it already elsewhere  ,her marriage to Philip The Fair, introduced the very sad Hapsburg Jaw into The Spanish Royal family which through inbreeding became really disfiguring.
Maximilian, The Holy Roman Emperor ,Philip’s father was the origine.
All the above is everyday knowledge in Belgium ,every four years there is a fantastic pageant celebrating the marriage of Charles The Bold - Count of Flanders to Margaret of York ,who was aunt to The Princes in the Tower.
Their daughter Mary of Burgundy married Maximilian and Philip was their son .
The pageant takes four hours to pass through the streets of Bruges ,every farm horse for miles is requisitioned ,fantastic costumes and arms - it really is magnificent .
So that connection with England is very strong and familiar.

Isn’t History amazing ,well I find it so.
However it does stop me from getting on with my work!
Cheerio.
Viktoria.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 10 February 24 11:33 GMT (UK) »
She spent her days at Kimbolton Castle, as was, it’s now a public school just down the road from me… my daughter got married there!

And my great grandfather was head gardener there, when the Duke of Manchester owned it.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 10 February 24 12:15 GMT (UK) »

And my great grandfather was head gardener there, when the Duke of Manchester owned it.

Small world arthurk!
 She had her wedding ceremony in the inner courtyard, it was a magnificent day in a place steeped in history. We were so pleased she chose it as her venue.
 The firework display provided by Kimboltons Rev Lancasters people was a fitting way to end the day. My son-in-law comes from Lewes in Sussex so they know all about fireworks and we had some great compliments from friends from there.

It’s such a great pity that such a great lady should have to end her days there and for such a short time. The surrounding area does suffer from flooding when it rains heavily so it’s not surprising that she suffered from the damp.

It’s one of my favourite eras of history so thank you Viktoria for the further history lesson. I’m sure the pageant must have been quite a sight.
Again my daughter spent a year in Belgium as part of her university bio- chemistry degree course in a town called Turnhout up near the Dutch border. A pretty place that we visited often whilst she was there.

Have a good w/e all, sun is actually shining here today!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 10 February 24 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Tried my hand at a bit of baking this week. Anzac biscuits. Just a tad on the hard side but still eminently "chewy".  Took some to Chapel coffee morning today- none left!
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 10 February 24 13:54 GMT (UK) »
 "Talk about "February Fill-Dyke"!"
     Gillg - I used this expression recently to someone I thought would know it, but she didn't. Maybe because her parents came from Nottinghamshire to the Kent coalfield.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 10 February 24 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Yes,so lots of rain was common during February in days of yore!
It is a very old saying ,from a poem by Sarah Coleridge
January brings the snow
Makes our feet and fingers glow.

February brings the rain
Fills the dykes and streams again .
March brings breezes
Hard and chill
Shakes the nodding Daffodil.

Etc.
Viktoria.