Author Topic: William Charles SIBREE  (Read 1007 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Charles SIBREE
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sibbie

It's not just me  :-[  who has supplied information ... I do hope you've looked back through this thread and read the valuable contributions made here by others.   ;)     It's always to your advantage also to answer (as best you can), any questions we ask ... that way you help us, to help you.   :)  :)

The Charles I have been seeking has the spelling of Alan, not Allen as I previously mentioned in error.

Still puzzled as to why you have the name "Charles Allen or Alan SIBREE" ... and where it came from. ???

NZ records for the man who was the father of William Charles SIBREE, seemed only to use the forename "Charles".     i.e.   His marriage 1895 to Elizabeth DAVIDSON and Divorce file 1919 /  as next-of-kin on NZ Army file for his son William, father is named as Mr C. SIBREE /  appearances on NZ electoral rolls  - as Charles SIBREE  /  on NZ Birth Index as parent of Victor Thomas SIBREE b. 1897 (died tragically at Millerton aged 13 years - October 1911.

[ I don't see on NZ Birth Index a registration for the child Charles SIBREE at all (see my previous post) ... and now added below. ]

Turning to Australia .... we have the death listed in 1953 on the NSW index of a Charles SIBREE - Parents -- Esther and Charles* -- registered at Parramatta.
[ *  And in NZ we've located a couple named Charles and Esther (formerly KENT) SIBREE who resided at West Coast locations from at least 1867.     No birth registration for a child of this couple listed under SIBREE .... but there is the Birth listed  1869 - KENT - Charles Patrick Sibbery -- mother named as Esther.
Marriage :  NSW -  1939 - Charles SIBREE - Mary DENHAM
And NSW Electoral rolls ... 1935  -- Charles SIBREE (occupation, miner) and Mary SIBREE home duties, (before their marriage) - residing at Bourke Street, Darlinghurst ... and listed again in 1939 same location.   

SIBREE is a very unusual name  (not many on either "side of the ditch") ... and this Charles SIBREE has the same occupation > miner > as the Charles SIBREE from Millerton / West Coast,  NZ  .    A very good chance then that they are one in the same person ? 

Experience tells those of us who've been tracking family for many years, that being pedantic about names and their spellings, is not always a good idea   ;) ... that is, it is preferable (and usually much more productive) to be open to all sorts of variations.     :)

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 07 February 24 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Charles SIBREE - died 1953 - NSW :

Hello Sibbie ..  some additonal information re: the above.

The death notice published in the "Sydney Morning Herald" of 29 August 1953, gives the age of Charles as 72 ... suggesting a birth year of circa 1881, which doesn't really stack up for the man born in New Zealand and registered under the name of  Charles Patrick Sibbery KENT (1869).
https://ryersonindex.org/search.php

But that aside, the headstone for Mary and Charles SIBREE at Botany Cemetery, NSW, gives the age of Charles as 76 years (bc 1877).   ???

As Mary had predeceased Charles, another family member perhaps had been the informant for Charles' death and although the parents names seem correct, his age at death may well have only been guessed at by the person giving information.   [This is not an uncommon occurence).

Did Charles SIBREE have a second family with Mary ??   It seems unlikely.   And the text on their headstone hints that Charles was the husband of Mary (Mary Ann) but not necessarily father to her children ?

Headstone photo can be accessed at FindaGrave.com.
Burial place is "Eastern Suburbs Memorial Park - aka Botany Cemetery / Bunnerong Cemetery - Matraville, Randwick City, NSW. 

~  Lu

Offline Sibbie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 07 February 24 02:13 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I have been back through what records I have but cannot find any reference to Charles Alan, only Charles Sibree, I have no idea why I used that name as it appeared sometime ago. I did find a review about a magician in Australia called "Eagle". He toured the goldfields. Comment was made in that review as follows:

The most odd aspect of this tale is that the  released man, Charles Wallack, apparently the lessee of the Pavilion Theatre, is said to have changed his name to Charles Sibree, and then joined Eagle in his tours, under the guise of “the Goblin Sprightly”. He must have been a slippery character, as newspapers from New Zealand (12) state that he later became Charles Stanley, posed as a doctor at Stringer’s Creek, moved to New Zealand where he was accused as “Yankee Charlie” of fraud in relation to a supposed quartz reef discovery, assault in 1876 for which he was gaoled for two years,  and in early 1879 was turned in to police by his own wife, on the accusation of having murdered a man named Thomas Costello some seven years earlier. He had in fact been charged with the murder back in 1872, but released for want of evidence. Ultimately there was some suggestion that the wife, whom Sibree had been assaulting, had made a false accusation to police; in either case she would not appear in court, and the charge was dismissed. A newspaper search reveals that the same Charles Wallack was also charged in 1854 with armed robbery, and in 1865 with sexual assault on a drunken woman.   Sprightly … indeed. He died in February 1880.

(12) Grey River Argus, September 3, 1872
Hokatika Star, New Zealand March 13, 1879 in the case of the “Costello Murder”.
Death – New Zealand Times, February 4, 1880.

I thank all for their help in this matter but I think it is unlikely progress on the matter is possible. I am impressed with all the help given. Many thanks, Sibbie.