Author Topic: The extensive BARFOOT family  (Read 6465 times)

Offline KEVKEV

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The extensive BARFOOT family
« on: Monday 05 February 24 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello forum members.
I would so appreciate your help on two dead ends on my Barfoot side of the family.

Great grandfathers sister Elizabeth Langley married Frederick George Barfoot in Barnsley, Yorks. in 1898. His parents were Frederick George Barfoot born 1858 in Corfe Hills Dorset and died in Barnsley, buried in our local cemetery in Stairfoot in 1895. He 'apparently' married Fanny BEND...but where and when??
     Fanny was born 7th January 1860 in Bottesford, Lincolnshire. I find no death record for her nor a second marriage since she would only have been 35 when he died.

So their marriage and a possible second marriage for Fanny, and her death please if anyone can spend some time on this.

The second situation is regarding Frederick George seniors mother Elizabeth Mary Barfoot who as "a single woman" had a son Frederick George Barfoot baptized in Canford Magna 25th July 1851. He is on the 1861 census in Canford Dorset aged 9, with Elizabeth's now husband Frederick DUKE.
         Did this son Frederick George die before 1st April 1859 when Elizabeth, still single, baptized a son also named Frederick George Barfoot at Great Canford? Surely this can't be the same son baptized twice and surely the first one would have passed to have her comfortably name another son as Frederick George and not have two living sons with the same two Christian names.
                     Thank you. Kevin. 

Dunigan (Dunnigan) and Goughan of York and Ireland (somewhere). Langleys of stairfoot nr. Barnsley also of Belper. William Taylor who died 1906 in Ardsley nr. Barnsley and born Leicester about 1835...(anything on him) Holdstocks of York.
Barfoots of Hunslet and family of Wright Hadfield of Doncaster (or Rotherham) and Hoyland also Foulstones of Hoyland.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: The extensive BARFOOT family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 February 24 23:58 GMT (UK) »
1901 shows F G B junior was b 1878 London

BARFOOT, FREDERICK  GEORGE   mmn   BEND     
GRO Reference: 1880  J Quarter in WANDSWORTH  Volume 01D  Page 706

Frederick George Barfoot     Baptism Date    1880
St George the Martyr, Battersea, Wandsworth
Father    Frederick George Barfoot
Mother    Fanny Barfoot

No Barfoot/Bend marriage found

Where are the family in 1891?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline KEVKEV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 00:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Carole for the help.
In my tree i already had their apparent lastborn who was William Barfoot born 24th September 1888.
 I just located William being 'handed over to his mother' in the workhouse in Frodsham, Cheshire on 1st November 1888. Fathers name states Frederick George Barfoot, ship canal labourer.

I downloaded the page but can't get it to add here, sorry....unless it shows when I send this.
 of 995
PrintDownload
Dunigan (Dunnigan) and Goughan of York and Ireland (somewhere). Langleys of stairfoot nr. Barnsley also of Belper. William Taylor who died 1906 in Ardsley nr. Barnsley and born Leicester about 1835...(anything on him) Holdstocks of York.
Barfoots of Hunslet and family of Wright Hadfield of Doncaster (or Rotherham) and Hoyland also Foulstones of Hoyland.

Offline KEVKEV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 01:13 GMT (UK) »
I was never really sure about the dates on Frederick George Jr's baptismal entry.
It looks to me like his birth and baptism were on the same day May 2nd 1880 in Wandsworth, Battersea since his baptismal date is left with a swipe of the pen, however the earlier entry above his was seemingly performed 3 weeks later on May 23rd which is 'back to front.

Offline KEVKEV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 01:17 GMT (UK) »
Looking at that baptismal entry again, added here, the missing date may just mean his baptism was the same as the above. The one following my Frederick George in that register is held on May 30th.
I would think the census having him born in 1878 is a little off.

Offline KEVKEV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 01:43 GMT (UK) »
The Barfoot sr. family was still in Stairfoot in 1898 as a daughter Ellen Barfoot born 1884 was buried at the Ardsley (Stairfoot) cemetery on 17th July 1898. So Stairfoot is where Frederick George jr and Elizabeth Langley would have met.

I had thought that Fanny after losing her husband and daughter in Stairfoot may have gone back down south, but she had two young boys both of whom stayed in Yorkshire.
   What happened to Fanny?? We may assume she didn't re-marry yet there is no death for her found with that name.
   Both sons lived in Hunslet and although I cannot find son Edward Barfoot on the 1939 register I believe the Edward Barfoot who died in Hunslet 28th January 1942 and is buried in the Hunslet cemetery in 1942 is ours. It looks like he didn't marry.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 02:10 GMT (UK) »
His parents were Frederick George Barfoot born 1858 in Corfe Hills Dorset and died in Barnsley, buried in our local cemetery in Stairfoot in 1895.

Frederick George BARFOOT who died in 1895 was aged 45, according to the death registration and a newspaper account at the time. So born c1850.  :-\

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 02:32 GMT (UK) »

Did this son Frederick George die before 1st April 1859 when Elizabeth, still single, baptized a son also named Frederick George Barfoot at Great Canford? Surely this can't be the same son baptized twice and surely the first one would have passed to have her comfortably name another son as Frederick George and not have two living sons with the same two Christian names.

If you notice the next 4 baptisms on this register are the DUKE family, parents Frederick and Elizabeth Mary. I think it's fair to say Frederick George BARFOOT was baptised twice.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 02:38 GMT (UK) »
Looking at that baptismal entry again, added here, the missing date may just mean his baptism was the same as the above. The one following my Frederick George in that register is held on May 30th.
I would think the census having him born in 1878 is a little off.

The baptismal register entry is very odd for Frederick George BARFOOT. In other baptisms which occur on the same date the date is always written, not blank or "-". If it had been a private baptism I would think that would have been noted. The birth date is very clear: 2 May. Very strange.

Certainly the 1881 census for the family have Frederick George (jnr) as 11 months.