Author Topic: The extensive BARFOOT family  (Read 6460 times)

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The extensive BARFOOT family
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 07 February 24 14:21 GMT (UK) »

There is a burial of a Fanny Smith in Hunslet who died (or was buried) 17 October 1938 'age 76-77'...which is close and because it's Hunslet it makes it interesting. A widow, she was buried in an unconsecrated grave, and her abode was 21 Whitfield street, Hunslet.

The only way to be certain is probably obtaining her death certificate and hopefully the informant was a family member - you can order a digital image from GRO indexes cost £2.50. Or perhaps checking Electoral Register for that address for years 1937 1938 to see who was living there.

I did a quick check of Fanny’s Plot EXT1-4, 1434 to see if I could find any other Smith’s with that Plot number - no luck  ???

Added - you could also check 1921 census to see if there's a Fanny Smith  living in Hunslet

EDIT

Quote from: KEVKEV
Frederick George Barfoot born 1858 in Corfe Hills Dorset and died in Barnsley, buried in our local cemetery in Stairfoot in 1895. He 'apparently' married Fanny BEND...but where and when??
Fanny was born 7th January 1860 in Bottesford, Lincolnshire.

Have you obtained a copy of his 1895 death certificate to see who the informant was?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KEVKEV

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 07 February 24 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Ladyhawk for more helpful details in narrowing this search.

I haven't yet obtained Fredericks 1895 death certificate. His plot fee, according to his cemetery register which I hand copied in the mid-70's from the register was from 'Fanny Barfoot'. The entry says 'a railway Ganger from Worsborough'.

Maybe one of his work colleagues was a Smith that they all knew and Fanny and the kids moved away from Worsborough soon after. Frederick will have had a decent paying job so surely after his death the family (hopefully) wasn't destitute. I'd like to find them on the 1901 census, but no luck yet.
Thanks again.
Dunigan (Dunnigan) and Goughan of York and Ireland (somewhere). Langleys of stairfoot nr. Barnsley also of Belper. William Taylor who died 1906 in Ardsley nr. Barnsley and born Leicester about 1835...(anything on him) Holdstocks of York.
Barfoots of Hunslet and family of Wright Hadfield of Doncaster (or Rotherham) and Hoyland also Foulstones of Hoyland.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 08 February 24 01:06 GMT (UK) »
Anna Lomas
Have you checked on this name on tbe nearest census to the death, that  might be a clue

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline KEVKEV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 08 February 24 03:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you louisa maud, yes as soon as I noticed again that name Anna Lomas in my notes I did go to work trying to establish a connection to the Barfoots but found nothing of significance.
    However the 1891 census for Worsborough and family Charles W. Lomas age 33 born Stockport Cheshire was interesting as Cheshire refers to a place the Barfoots lived. He has a daughter Annie age 7. Maybe this Annie was sent to pay for the cemetery plot in 1989 since she would have been 14 and probably capable. Just a thought.
I did write all this earlier and to thank you, and  also added that 1891 census as an attachment but again, it couldn't be posted like that.

Dunigan (Dunnigan) and Goughan of York and Ireland (somewhere). Langleys of stairfoot nr. Barnsley also of Belper. William Taylor who died 1906 in Ardsley nr. Barnsley and born Leicester about 1835...(anything on him) Holdstocks of York.
Barfoots of Hunslet and family of Wright Hadfield of Doncaster (or Rotherham) and Hoyland also Foulstones of Hoyland.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 08 February 24 04:55 GMT (UK) »
Just to make things more confusing - this looks like the family in 1901 at Rastrick:

George LOMAS    39   Derby (plate layer)
Emma                   42   Bottesford
Louisa                   19   Hull
Edward                  17  Frodsham
Samuel                   9   Yeadon
Lilly                        7   Chorley
Jane                      4   Killimarsh
Robert CHALLONER   50   Sheffield  (visitor, labourer)
RG13/4117 pg 18

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 08 February 24 04:59 GMT (UK) »
So here is Jane's birth registration - Jane Hyde LOMAS Sept qtr 1897  Chesterfield (7b/788) mmn BEND

Offline KEVKEV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 08 February 24 05:03 GMT (UK) »
Oh wow! Very interesting and a great find! Thank you. Will check it out more in the morning.
Grateful for your help. Kevin.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 08 February 24 05:08 GMT (UK) »
A George LOMAS and Emma BARFOOT on the same page for marriages Sept qtr 1896 at Barnsley (9c/324).

Modified to add:
I wonder why Emma (or is it Fanny) calls herself BARFOOT on the 1911 census?

Offline KEVKEV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 08 February 24 06:09 GMT (UK) »
The 1901 census info is a great find with George Lomas and Emma nee Bend in Rastrick, she the sister to our Fanny Barfoot born Dent. Mother Ann Dent, father Sansam Bend. Thank you.
 So far, it seems Fanny is NOT involved with the Lomas family directly but sister Emma is.

I have Emma Dent marrying John Robinson 16th May 1883 in Long Bennington (although strangely I can't locate it now on ancestry) but I did find the marriage in Barnsley in 1896 for George LOMAS and Emma BARFOOT as you pointed out. That is strange unless this was really Fanny and a second marriage, but no, Fanny's husband didn't die until two years later.
 At least we now have the Lomas name involved.
     I checked the 1911 census for either Emma 'Barfoot' and Fanny 'Barfoot' and none seem to have Bottesford as birth places, but the Fanny Barfoot I used to be mistaken by I found on the 1911 census and that is Fanny Barfoot born about 1860 but in Canford Dorset, maiden name SHORT. Could you have seen this?