Author Topic: The extensive BARFOOT family  (Read 6451 times)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: The extensive BARFOOT family
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 03:31 GMT (UK) »
I think I am getting very confused. (not unusual!  ;D)

Looking at BARFOOT children born with mmn BEND (and these only as "exact", not with similar spellings):

1878  unnamed male      Melton Mowbray  (died 1878)
1878  Frederick George  Melton Mowbray  (died 1878)
1880  Frederick George  Wandsworth
1882  Louisa                   Sculcoates
1883  Walter                   Sculcoates
1888  Edward                 Runcorn
1892  Sam                      Wharfedale
1894  Lily                        Chorley

Edward (born 6 Sept 1888) and Sam BARFOOT (born 6 May 1892) are both baptised 7 Aug 1900 at Birstall - parents George and Emma.

Lily BARFOOT (born 28 May 1894) is baptised 22 July 1897 at Birstall - parents George and Emma.

In 1911, Lily BARFOOT (16, Chorley) is with mother Emma BARFOOT (55, wid, Bottesford, Leicester) who says she has 3 children living, none died, married 31 years (from present marriage, though of course, she says widowed). Other children with them are Sam (18, Yeadon) and Jane (13, Killimarsh).

Ok, so I'm thinking perhaps 2 sisters Emma and Fanny (both from Bottesford on census records) married 2 brothers George and Frederick, however ...

Lily BARFOOT marries Harold SHARPLES on 8 Feb 1919, she says her father is Frederick BARFOOT, deceased, engine driver.

I'll do a bit more looking and thinking.  :-\

Modified to add:
Pretty sure there is another daughter Ellen BARFOOT who dies at Stairfoot in 1898 aged 13 years, 10 months daughter of Frederick George BARFOOT, deceased, foreman excavator - according to death notice 16 July 1898 Barnsley Chronicle.

Offline KEVKEV

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 03:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.
Yes, correct, in my notes from the cemetery from 1976 I do have Ellen Barfoot 13 years 10 months buried July 17th 1898 daughter of late F.G. Barfoot.. of contractor huts (??).
Dunigan (Dunnigan) and Goughan of York and Ireland (somewhere). Langleys of stairfoot nr. Barnsley also of Belper. William Taylor who died 1906 in Ardsley nr. Barnsley and born Leicester about 1835...(anything on him) Holdstocks of York.
Barfoots of Hunslet and family of Wright Hadfield of Doncaster (or Rotherham) and Hoyland also Foulstones of Hoyland.

Offline KEVKEV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 03:45 GMT (UK) »
Oh great find Maddy-the information from the Barnsley Chronicle which gives a clearer understanding of Frederick George's occupation. Thank you.
Dunigan (Dunnigan) and Goughan of York and Ireland (somewhere). Langleys of stairfoot nr. Barnsley also of Belper. William Taylor who died 1906 in Ardsley nr. Barnsley and born Leicester about 1835...(anything on him) Holdstocks of York.
Barfoots of Hunslet and family of Wright Hadfield of Doncaster (or Rotherham) and Hoyland also Foulstones of Hoyland.

Offline KEVKEV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 03:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maddy. Regarding the other Barfoot children you kindly looked for with mmn BEND, I don't see any real connection (for now).
Fanny does however have a sister Emma BEND born 22nd December 1863 in Bottesford who married John Robinson in long Bennington in 1883 and had six children as far as I have gathered.
        Thank you for all that research though and I'll look into it more...just in case.
The parents of my Fanny and Emma Bend are Samsan Bend and Ann Dent.

I haven't delved into all the Barfoots in Dorset even though they may be related to Frederick George Barfoot but there are so many and it's complicated as there are also a couple of Frederich George Barfoots too born around the same time, even one who married a 'Fanny', albeit Fanny Marie SHORT which is of course not ours but it did have me confused for some time.
          Thank you! Kevin.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 04:21 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen the detailed article about the death of Frederick George BARFOOT in 1895?
Friday,  June 28, 1895
Publication: Sheffield Daily Telegraph

Offline KEVKEV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 04:52 GMT (UK) »
No I haven't and I had no clue that his death was so prevalent or widespread around the area Maddy.
I just tried to locate the story using the newspaper title and date you offered and just a paragraph came up. I'll need to register it looks like. Thank you so much.

Part of the story i was able to read talks about the Black Bull Inn which was just around the corner from where I was born and grew up... (we've been in Portland Oregon since 1988 and before that in the Hannover Germany for several years (mum was German).
   Unfortunately, as what seems to be somewhat routine in the UK, certainly I'm told regarding the Barnsley area and it's historic beautiful structures, the Black Bull, erected in 1777 was torn down to make way for fast food!! Very sad.
     Thank you. Did you happen to print out the article, if not no worries.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 08:30 GMT (UK) »
Here is the item - it is just a paragraph but quite detailed about the accident.
Friday,  June 28, 1895
Publication: Sheffield Daily Telegraph

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 08:33 GMT (UK) »
It's frustrating that I can't find the family in the 1891 census - either Frederick and Fanny BARFOOT or George and Emma BARFOOT.

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 14:55 GMT (UK) »

It's frustrating that I can't find the family in the 1891 census - either Frederick and Fanny BARFOOT or George and Emma BARFOOT.

They do seem pretty elusive on 1891 census ??? Same as others I can't find a Barfoot/Bend marriage
either

Does this relate, although she's noted as single  :-\  apologies if it's been posted already

Fanny Barfoot
Admission Age   25
cause of seeking relief - pregnant
Admission Date   21 Sep 1886
Admission Place   Chelsea, Kensington and Chelsea, City of London

The Barfoot sr. family was still in Stairfoot in 1898 as a daughter Ellen Barfoot born 1884 was buried at the Ardsley (Stairfoot) cemetery on 17th July 1898. So Stairfoot is where Frederick George jr and Elizabeth Langley would have met.

Do you have Ellen's birth certificate? If so, what was her father's occupation and their address?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk