Author Topic: Tracing an illusive Railway employee, London, 1930s  (Read 10081 times)

Offline fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing an illusive Railway employee, London, 1930s
« Reply #90 on: Thursday 15 February 24 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Bob,
Have you considered doing a DNA test? It may be the way to confirm that Albert Spiers really is the same man as Albert/Alf Wilson.
Bulman, DUR
Butterfield DUR & N. YKS,
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS
Howe, Richardson,Thompson all DUR

William Thompson violin maker Bishop Auckland
William Thompson jun. Violin maker Leeds

Richardson in Bermondsey/East Ham, descendants of William Richardson b. 1820 Bishop Auckland

Berger, Fritsch, Ritschel, Pechanz, Funke, Endesfelder & others from Czechia

Offline MollyC

• RootsChat Member
  • Preserving the past for the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Thursday 15 February 24 20:46 GMT (UK) »
What I find "strange" is that when Martha/Madge registered Eric's birth in 1945 she had moved back to Staffordshire (probable support from family) but did not record a fathers name or occupation.

The father was not present and she could not prove she was married or a widow, so it could not be recorded.  This registration occurred just after Eric's 14th birthday.  It may have been connected with getting his first job.  It would be interesting to see the original registration, why did it need re-registering?

... the railway requiring two references as to character

That may be the main reason for changing his surname.  If he moved to London, found work in a restaurant for a while and behaved himself, he probably managed to contrive it.

Offline BobB1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Friday 16 February 24 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Bob,
Have you considered doing a DNA test? It may be the way to confirm that Albert Spiers really is the same man as Albert/Alf Wilson.

Yes, I've considered it, but surely the gamble is that there is a DNA sample, somehow given/taken by the man or family in question? I don't know how likely that would be.

My task for now is trying to follow the 3 Alberts who have been discussed so far as they seem possible candidates for Alf. Trying hard to find a connection or rule one or all out.

Offline MollyC

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Friday 16 February 24 20:59 GMT (UK) »
I'm treading a bit carefully here.

From FreeBMD:  In 1947 Joan M Spiers was married in Birmingham.  They apparently had one son, in 1950.

In 2014 someone with a screenname including Joan's married surname created a tree in Family Search without giving any sources - only four people included.
Joan Margaret and her husband.
Joan's father and mother - given as Albert Spiers, Amy L Ellson, marriage 1922, no dates of birth or death.
But for Joan Margaret and her husband there are the FULL dates of birth and death - somebody out there knows the details.
Did they give up? Or move on to some other tree?

Does anyone have any thoughts about this?    (Joan's person identifier is L6V2-GVN)

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Friday 16 February 24 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Interesting.  Some time ago when you were searching family trees on Family Search there was the option to contact the person who did the tree.  That information doesn't seem to exist any more.

It is just the name of the ancestor with a number attached. That therefore makes it difficult to follow up on that ancestor.  To me it seems pointless to put ancestor information without any means of contacting the originator for further information.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline MollyC

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Friday 16 February 24 21:33 GMT (UK) »
I have left a message for this person, who may never look at the message box.  Later I contacted FS Help, who replied today saying:

"We are unable to alert the contributor by email due to the settings on their account."

-  which probably are designed to prevent people being bothered by circulars.  I suggested they need to re-think how that works.

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Friday 16 February 24 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Then one wonders why they bothered to put that information on Family Search if they aren't willing to receive messages from anyone.  ???
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline MollyC

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Friday 16 February 24 22:21 GMT (UK) »
It's not the messaging service, it's emails from FS itself.  But if you don't open Family Search AND Log in, you don't see there are messages waiting.  You can use the website without logging in, but in this case the person probably got nowhere and gave up years ago.  Probably not an experienced researcher, just trying to find a few facts to answer some unknowns.  Or they may have moved on, and been looking elsewhere.

Offline Sc00p

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Saturday 17 February 24 11:27 GMT (UK) »
I don't use Familysearch trees but if the user has notifications active and you were to add a note or fact to one of the persons, would the tree owner get notified?