Author Topic: Tracing an illusive Railway employee, London, 1930s  (Read 10086 times)

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing an illusive Railway employee, London, 1930s
« Reply #117 on: Wednesday 06 March 24 12:42 GMT (UK) »
SS

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Wednesday 06 March 24 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Though this may already have been mentioned nd I missed it as I have been off site for some time, dont forget the proximity of the London Northwestern Terminus (later LMS) from Euston which also had a service to Scotland, so along with Kings Cross, St. Pancras and Marylebone there are at least 4 possible termini to choose from. I think probably he has been found with the Trade Union reference mentioned though Wilson is quite a common name.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Wednesday 06 March 24 21:24 GMT (UK) »
FYI. I'm plodding on and in the interim I have been reconsidering Madge's 2 moments of lucidity:

1. Alf came from ''a well do to do family''
2. Alf had 2 sisters who where on the stage  - an act something like ''the Dolly Sisters''

I am posting this to rule them out and stop someone going down the same rabbit hole that I did  ;D.

I got a free week on FindMyPast and looking at the newspapers I thought I could be on to something when I discovered "THE DALY SISTERS".  A variety act that performed with Frank Marr in the 1920s/30s. 

I was disappointed when they turned out to be Monica Daly (b. abt. 1900) and Patricia Daly (b. abt. 1907).

Never mind, not the Spiers sisters so back to the drawing board.
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Wednesday 06 March 24 23:10 GMT (UK) »
There appears to be a probate for the Ida Nellie Spiers of 5 Fairway Rd Lilliput. I’m not sure if this is the same thing as posted just above?

I was thinking that if there was a will it might provide more info? The info is on Ancestry if you have access.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Wednesday 06 March 24 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Apparently she left £32664 when she died, quite a sum of money in 1976.  Probate Winchester 7 June 763307353Q.  I would have thought there would be a will with that amount of money.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline BobB1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Thursday 07 March 24 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello all

Not withstanding the search for the stage sisters of Edward Spiers, I've found some interesting questions. I could do with a view from RC contributors to sort my thinking out:

1. Edwards Spiers death was 15 May 1913 - cardiac disease. Age 30, Jewellery Journeyman
    Q. What reason would his Son therefore state 'Licensed Victualler' on his wedding certificate?
2. Edward Albert born 1921 to Amy Ellson - father is blank on birth certificate.
    Q.  Was Albert Sydney perhaps not the father? Did they meet only when he moved into No5
    Woodbine Grove then marry in 1922?
3. Albert Spiers (lodging in Jamaica Row) in Nov 1927 news paper report claims he was looking for housing for 3 years - having deserted his family only in Aug 1926
    Q. IF he is the same Albert Sydney, his last known address was 12 Kensington Gdns when Joan
    was born Oct 1926. It doesn't make sense. The court/police and guardians would have know this.
    surely?
4. Navy Albert is 5' 3'' - my Mother, her sisters and Madge, were around 5' 7'' in their prime and Eric
    was 6' - how does a small man produce taller children? Is that normal?
5. Eric was 2 years 10 months born in St Pancras - my Mother was born the other side of London when Alf's address was 166 Hampstead Rd?  - where was Eric at that time? With Alf who was allegedly working away on trains?
7. Eric wasn't registered until 1945 - Maybe I must consider that 6' Eric wasn't Albert (Alf's) child? I could be wrong of course. If the Madge Wilson at Bloomsbury Gardens in 1929 is 'my' Madge, then that theory becomes void.

Both Certificates attached

Offline BobB1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Thursday 07 March 24 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Edward Albert birth cert

Offline MollyC

• RootsChat Member
  • Preserving the past for the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Thursday 07 March 24 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Comments numbered as per your previous reply:

1.  Did Edward loose his job over the court case, even though acquitted, and spend the last months of his life running (or working in) a pub?  But his previous occupation was given at death registration because it was his profession and sounded better?

3.  Joan's birth cert.  (see page 12) gives:
26 Oct 1926        place of birth             77 Dudley Road             
12 Nov 1926       address of mother     12 Kensington Gardens     (date of registration)

Address of father given as the same - but did he ever actually live at either address, or was Amy covering up his absence?  The court would not have checked the birth certificate.  He could have been searching for a house before he actually left them. 

5.  Eric was probably with his mother, but the family moved almost every year and had a spell in Hampstead Road.  Electoral registers were compiled several months before they came into force, (latterly Oct/Feb) so may give the impression of being there the next year when actually the names had already moved on.  Need to check small print on the registers.

7.  Did they just forget to register his birth until Eric was about to start a job?  Even if Alf would have attended a registration to add his name, by 1945 it was too late to do so.

Offline Sc00p

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Thursday 07 March 24 18:01 GMT (UK) »

4. Navy Albert is 5' 3'' - my Mother, her sisters and Madge, were around 5' 7'' in their prime and Eric
    was 6' - how does a small man produce taller children? Is that normal?

He would have been 15 on entry to the Navy as his first period of service (Boy II) commences 4 Apr 1916. The period of engagement stated on the form runs from his 18th birthday.  Quite possible he had a bit of growing to do.

It would be nice to work out what this snippet says on his service record as it appears to have been added to the record 26 Nov 1925.