Author Topic: Tracing an illusive Railway employee, London, 1930s  (Read 10088 times)

Offline Sc00p

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing an illusive Railway employee, London, 1930s
« Reply #144 on: Monday 11 March 24 12:22 GMT (UK) »
... the history of the Spiers family is very compelling, as are the 2 sisters (cousins) who are 'on the stage' a part of the puzzle, that although they're not fully identified, lends a lot of weight to the known facts of the story.

"The June Sisters" appear to be a nationally well known variety act from the early 20's onwards.  The sisters are named in "The Stage" newspaper (as well as other papers) as Grace and Ida more than once.  I can't see any relevant births for the June surname so have to assume at least that part was a stage name.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/MqYVVQhc3ZnL6dHRwTvtJ8/variety-show-posters-from-the-1920s-and-1930s

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: Monday 11 March 24 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Just to say that I have found railway employment records extremely hard to find so I am not surprised you have not found anything on line.

Nothing about my Grandad’s railway employment shows up on Ancestry or FindMyPast unless anything has appeared in the last month or so. Grandad worked for the railways from the age of 14 until he retired at 65.

He was an apprentice wagon builder at the L & N W Railways Ince Wagon Works from around the age of 14 and was a there as a railway wagon builder in the 1911 census. By 1921 he was married and living in Wallasey but working at the wagon works at Garston Docks. In 1939 he and his family were still living in Wallasey and he was listed a wagon repairer and also in the LMS decontamination squad. Sometime after this they were bombed out and went to live in Rainford but grandad continued to work on the wagons until he retired in 1954.

Apart from various census stating his occupation the only records I have found for his long employment with the London & North Western Railway and then with the London Midland Scottish Railway post 1922 are some accident report books of the LMS railway that I found at Cheshire Archives for 1940/41. In those I found he was working at the Marshalling Yards at Edge Hill and was injured at least three times. I cannot imagine what it must have been like at those yards during the Liverpool Blitz and the need to keep the wagons in good repair.

I presume Grandad retired at 65 in late 1954.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: Monday 11 March 24 16:53 GMT (UK) »
"The June Sisters" appear to be a nationally well known variety act from the early 20's onwards.  The sisters are named in "The Stage" newspaper (as well as other papers) as Grace and Ida more than once.  I can't see any relevant births for the June surname so have to assume at least that part was a stage name.

Another scoop from Sc00p!
I don't think that Ida and Grace can be found in the 1921 census? :-\

The June Sisters seem to have been in South Africa in 1921
Some snippets from the S.A. Pictorical (spelt like that) are on google books
Voume 12, 1921
"Smartly dressed, and presenting one or two novelties, the June Sisters, specialty dancers who also sing (as dancers apparently always must, though nobody knows why), provide a welcome note of variety. It is some weeks since a dancing-turn has been seen, and the June Sisters give a neat show, with the Mexican insurrection dance as the special draw."

I think there are couple of engagements for them in there.

There is an outward passenger list on ancestry/findmypast that could tie in!
Balmoral Castle, 31 Dec 1920, from Southampton to Cape Town
Mrs. E A Spiers Artiste 43
Miss I N Spiers Artiste 22
Miss G M Spiers Artiste 19

Offline MollyC

• RootsChat Member
  • Preserving the past for the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: Monday 11 March 24 17:30 GMT (UK) »
That looks very promising.  The names are exactly right but all seem to have shed a few years somewhere - is that show biz?

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: Monday 11 March 24 17:40 GMT (UK) »
but all seem to have shed a few years somewhere - is that show biz?

Hopefully it is!

Offline Sc00p

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: Monday 11 March 24 18:12 GMT (UK) »
I don't think that Ida and Grace can be found in the 1921 census? :-\

I think they are visiting 247 Brixton Road, Lambeth. 
Ida Spiers 20y 4m
Grace Spiers 17y 3m
Both unemployed variety artists born Birmingham.  There is a Mrs Jane Spiers 42y 8m also born Birmingham with them

A South Africa round trip getting back for the 1921 census on Apr 29th would seem entirely possible.  Balmoral Castle arrived Capetown 17th Jan 1921.

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: Monday 11 March 24 18:15 GMT (UK) »
With regards to Ida & Grace's mother Ellen Amelia. She appears at the same address as her husband Albert, Ida & grace but on the next image at the top occupation Boarding House Keeper.

SS

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: Monday 11 March 24 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant finds Sc00p, and jonw65.

UK and Ireland, Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960
Departure   Cape Town, South Africa
Arrival   10 Apr 1921 Southampton, England
Ship Name: Norman

Spiers, Ellen Amelia
Spiers, Grace Mabel
Spiers, Ida Nellie

Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Sc00p

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: Monday 11 March 24 18:24 GMT (UK) »
A South Africa round trip getting back for the 1921 census on Apr 29th would seem entirely possible.  Balmoral Castle arrived Capetown 17th Jan 1921.

Just found they Arrived Southampton 10th April 1921 from Capetown.  Transcribed as Speers.

Edit: The google book snippets from the S A Pictorical appear to be dated between 29th Jan and end of Feb 1921.