Author Topic: Tracing an illusive Railway employee, London, 1930s  (Read 10009 times)

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing an illusive Railway employee, London, 1930s
« Reply #162 on: Tuesday 12 March 24 07:59 GMT (UK) »
I think you have. Amazing research and lateral thinking by all.

Online MollyC

• RootsChat Member
  • Preserving the past for the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: Tuesday 12 March 24 08:11 GMT (UK) »
Credit to Ashtone who first spotted the alter ego, page 6:

Given the "dual" occupation on his death certificate, there's an Albert Spiers (age 22) in the 1921 census. Occupation: Waiter - Queen Hotel, Birmingham (out of work). Birthplace: Birmingham.
He's probably just a red herring. He'll need to be traced forwards to be ruled out.

I think the red herring has been reeled in.

Bob, can you ask your mother if the "June Sisters" rings a bell with her?

Offline Sc00p

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: Tuesday 12 March 24 11:07 GMT (UK) »
While trying to follow the careers of the June Sisters through press reporting, It's clear they toured extensively through the 20's and 30's but looks their bookings began to dry up in the early 1940's   when adverts appear with London addresses (agent?/another act?) where they are looking for bookings.  I did find these 2 show adverts for late 1943 where they look to be touring with another variety dance act "The Six Dolly Girls" that seems to have been formed around 1941.  Coincidence maybe? 

Offline BobB1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: Tuesday 12 March 24 14:23 GMT (UK) »
First and foremost. What excellent detective work by Jool and Sc00p to find the June Sisters so quickly and even a photo! No doubt in my mind they are the daughters of Albert Spiers. Thank you everyone for your effort and input in piecing together this story.

MollyC - I spoke to my mother this morning. The name June Sisters, or Sisters June, means nothing to her. She can only recall something sounding like The 'Dolly, Doily or Dooley' Sisters.

Closest I've found is a sisters act in variety shows at the Birmingham Hippodrome 1939, 1942, 1947 with some big names of the day. These are the Donna Sisters. Based on the assumption that the June sisters mother would have been too old by then, what if they changed their act and name also? Donna, does sound bit similar to Dolly. Grasping at straws probably - I've found noting on these ladies so far.

Offline BobB1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: Wednesday 03 April 24 10:08 BST (UK) »
Good Morning all.

For those who have been following this thread and spent time digging out crucial information to assist me, I would like to present: Madge.

Its a very long story of how this photograph was found, but suffice to say that without this investigation, it would have remained lost forever.

We don't know when or where it was taken but looks like she was in her 20s - its the only known picture of a young Madge.

So, a leap forward in many senses, but my quest continues.

I'm still looking for a definitive connection for Albert Sydney Spiers with Alf Wilson who died in Luton 1943 and therefore with Madge.
His time as a 'Dining car attendant' is so far a blank.
His burial site or evidence of a cremation is unknown.
The anomaly of the existent June Sisters against the memory of the Dolly sisters also eludes me, though I note Sc00p found they may have toured with the '6 Dolly Girls' around 1941 - or perhaps been part of the group? Compelling, but I can't find any info on that Dolly Girls group.

Once again, my thanks to all who have contributed, but if anyone feels they have the time to help me investigate the above questions further, I'd be grateful for the assistance.

Regards

Bob

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: Wednesday 03 April 24 10:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob, was only thinking about your original post a couple of days ago. Do you not think that the fact that Alfred told his family about "artists etc" appears to tie him to the Spiers connection, through his brothers daughters and wife.

SS

Offline BobB1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: Wednesday 03 April 24 11:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob, was only thinking about your original post a couple of days ago. Do you not think that the fact that Alfred told his family about "artists etc" appears to tie him to the Spiers connection, through his brothers daughters and wife.

SS

Morning SS.

I think the evidence pieced together so far is very compelling - and whilst most likely is correct - its purely circumstantial - as my old profession would say. There is no specific undeniable link tying them both together that I can see - yet.

To present to my Mother, the story of her Father, I need to be certain its correct. In lieu of that, my thinking is to pursue the questions above in the hope that more collaborative information/evidence might appear to close that gap further, or make it indisputable.

Either way, these unanswered gaps in Alberts history need to be filled - if I can.

Bob

Online MollyC

• RootsChat Member
  • Preserving the past for the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: Wednesday 03 April 24 12:50 BST (UK) »
Good Morning Bob,
How lovely to meet Madge!  SS has a valid point.  So often, family stories turn out to have a grain of truth but not exactly as passed down.

I think DNA may be the only way to prove a connection because there could be some out there already, to which you can make a match.  I have not studied it myself but since the previous discussion I have unexpectedly helped someone to resolve a DNA find.  Co-incidentally it involved a Wilson, who married an unrelated Wilson in Manchester.  I had deduced this from basic research, but a contact wrote to me this week to say it had finally explained a DNA match he has known about for years!

Offline BobB1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: Wednesday 03 April 24 13:31 BST (UK) »
Hi MollyC, thanks.

Absolutely SS has a valid point which I freely acknowledge.

Yet it seems to me necessary to seek clarification and confirmation where ever possible and with the certainty that more exists to be found - until there isn't anything. Some is just pure curiosity on my part, but mostly a desire to find all the facts I possibly can. Had I not taken this approach from the beginning, I would not  - with the fantastic help of RC - got as far as I have. The recent photo find is an example.

The DNA approach is, I agree a good idea, but when I broach the subject, my Mother is less than keen. Its not ruled out, but not as easy as I'd like.

So I'm left with plodding on - which I intend to do - until there is no more to find. Old habits die hard ;)

Bob