Author Topic: Mary Duncan and Alexander Allan  (Read 258 times)

Offline rdarby

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Duncan and Alexander Allan
« on: Tuesday 06 February 24 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Mary Duncan married Alexander Allan (my 2xgreat grandfather) in 1843 at Drumblade.
In November Mary gave birth to a son James.
Unfortunately, in the meantime Alexander was convicted for stealing 4 head of cattle and transported to Australia.
I believe James grew up thinking his father was dead.
I have found a James Allan who died in Leith in 1930, aged 87 and wonder if it is Alexander's son?
Alexander married again(to Jane Ogle) in Australia and had a large family, including a daughter Rosanna who was my great grandmother. She was born on the Ballarat goldfields in Dec 1854. She probably never knew she had an older brother in Scotland.
Darbys from Deal area, Allans Aberdeenshire/Banffshire, Ogles  Northumberland, McKenzies and Burgess  Kirkudbright/Dumfries, Campbells  Sutherlandshire, Malcolms Kincardine,Sheppeards Suffolk

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Duncan and Alexander Allan
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 12:16 GMT (UK) »
I have found a James Allan who died in Leith in 1930, aged 87 and wonder if it is Alexander's son?
The only way to find out is to view the original document at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk and see what the names of the deceased James' parents were.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 12:21 GMT (UK) »
You don't say when Alexander was transported to Australia

Have you looked for Mary & James on censuses after Alexander's transportation?  In 1851 Mary & James are living with Mary's mother Janet Duncan.  James is shown as b Cairnie and Mary 1822 Cairnie

James was baptised 21.11.1843 but was born on 18.9.1843

Did James marry Margaret Ewen on 4.12.1868 in Aberdeen?  If so - who does he show as his father?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Can't see a death entry in 1930 aged 87??

There is an 86yr old but mmn was Wilson

Mary nee Duncan is living alone in 1861

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi, we corresponded about the Allans some years ago. I'm descended from James's uncle Robert Allan.

James was born at Craigton, Cairnie, 18-9-1843 and baptised 21-11-1843.

The 1851 census shows James with his mother and grandmother at Craigton. He is at school.

The 1861 census shows James at Budgate, Cawdor, Nairnshire, working as a cattleman for John Joss.

In 1868 he was working as a farm servant at Hillocks, Newhills, Aberdeenshire. On 4-12-1868 he married Margaret Ewen at Roadside of Garlogie, Skene. On the certificate he says his mother is still alive and gives his father as Alexander Allan, farm servant (Deceased).

The 1871 census shows the Allans living at 19 Lodge Walk, Aberdeen. James is a porter at a paper works. The only other member of the household is his wife Margaret.

Their daughter, Margaret Ewen, was born 13-4-1873. The family was living at 87 John Street, Aberdeen, and James was working as a railway stoker.

Their son, James, was born 17-4-1875. The family was living at 103 George Street, Aberdeen, and James was working as a labourer in a granite works.

The 1881 census shows the Allans at No. 26, 6 Black's Buildings, Aberdeen. The household consists of James, described as a stone turner (i.e. making granite rollers), Margaret, and their children, who are both at school.

The 1891 census shows the Allans at No. 4, 2 Black's Buildings. The household consists of James, described as a stone turner, Margaret, and their children - Margaret, a dressmaker, and James, an apprentice mechanic.

The Aberdeen Journal of 16-10-1899 reports on the results of a Board of Trade examination for engineers held in Dundee. "James Allan, 4 Black's Buildings, Aberdeen", passed first class. He is described as a candidate from the Dundee Marine Engineering Academy, Panmure Street, Dundee.

The 1901 census shows the Allans at 4 Black's Buildings. James is described as a stone turner. The only other member of the household is his wife Margaret.

The 1911 census shows the Allans at 4 Black's Buildings. James is described as a stone stone at a granite works. The other members of the household are his wife Margaret, his mother-in-law, Catherine Smith, and a grandson, Douglas T. R. Gordon, aged 9, who is at school. Douglas was born in New Jersey, USA.

The 1921 census shows the Allans at 4 Black's Buildings. James is described as a stone turner (he works for the Pittodrie Granite Turning Co., Ltd., Merkland Road). The rest of the household consists of his wife, Margaret, and a boarder, Annie Davidson, an unemployed woollen  combination machinist from Harriot's in Rose Street.

Margaret Ewen died at 4 Black's Buildings on 28-4-1925. The death was registered by James, who described himself as a journeyman stone turner.

Thereafter I can find no definite trace of James.

Offline rdarby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 February 24 06:34 GMT (UK) »
You don't say when Alexander was transported to Australia

Have you looked for Mary & James on censuses after Alexander's transportation?  In 1851 Mary & James are living with Mary's mother Janet Duncan.  James is shown as b Cairnie and Mary 1822 Cairnie

James was baptised 21.11.1843 but was born on 18.9.1843

Did James marry Margaret Ewen on 4.12.1868 in Aberdeen?  If so - who does he show as his father?
On the certificate he says his mother is still alive and gives his father as Alexander Allan, farm servant (Deceased).
Alexander was transported 18 Jan 1844
Darbys from Deal area, Allans Aberdeenshire/Banffshire, Ogles  Northumberland, McKenzies and Burgess  Kirkudbright/Dumfries, Campbells  Sutherlandshire, Malcolms Kincardine,Sheppeards Suffolk

Offline rdarby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 February 24 06:40 GMT (UK) »
GR2 - thankyou. Sorry I forgot about the earlier correspondence. It must be a few years ago.
Does that make us 4th cousins?
Would you like to give me a bit more info about Robert Allan?

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 February 24 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Yes, we are 4th cousins. I'll email you later today, but you would have to edit your last post to remove your email address as we are only supposed to give them out via personal messages.

Offline rdarby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 February 24 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Yes, we are 4th cousins. I'll email you later today, but you would have to edit your last post to remove your email address as we are only supposed to give them out via personal messages.
Sorry, that was remiss of me. I have deleted the email address from the post.