Author Topic: John Watson's Institution, Edinburgh  (Read 588 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: John Watson's Institution, Edinburgh
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 07 February 24 20:53 GMT (UK) »
There looks to have been another daughter born after your mum in 1923:

JANET MUNRO DICKSON
Mother's maiden name LAW
685 / 11 / 791
Leith South

Additional details here for all the family www.wikitree.com/wiki/Dickson-1014

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavKars Hobby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 07 February 24 21:21 GMT (UK) »
My wife and I watch detective shows but still can't figure out why, when both of my mother's birth parents lived to a ripe old age,  was my mother apparently put up for adoption and was adopted by James Daniels and family.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 07 February 24 21:32 GMT (UK) »

1The latest census I can access is 1921. My mother was born in 1921 possibly  a month after the census was taken. Do I have to wait 10 more years until the 1931 census or is there another resource?

A check of the Valuation Rolls and Electoral Rolls would not give you any info in respect of the family dynamics. I suppose one check might be whether to see on the Electoral Rolls whether Henry and Margaret lived together to exclude the possibility of a separation.

2. My mother was born with the surname Dickson and was the 5th daughter of Henry Dickson with no brothers. Her maiden name on the certificate when she married in 1943 was Dickson Daniels with her father as James Daniels, not Henry Dickson which suggests (to me) she was put up for adoption after she was born and adopted by the Daniels family for reasons currently unknown.

The surname of Dickson is showing as a middle name for your mother on both her marriage and death registrations. As you are likely aware, using surnames as middle names was/is common practice in Scotland. Her surname is showing as Daniels. Looks like James Daniels and wife decided to leave her birth surname as part of her name.

Formal adoption in Scotland did not start until 1930. They would have been arranged privately and there are no records available up to 1930 for these arrangements. See www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/research-guides/research-guides-a-z/adoption-records

5. The census date was June 19th 1921 and my mother was (inconveniently) born on June 26th 1921 and does not appear on the listing for James Daniels under the John Watson's Institution entry. To trace my history on my mother's side I have to determine whether to follow the Dickson line or the Daniels line - suggestions as to what might have led to the change of surname?

Your choice really  :) There are some family notes listed for Henry and Margaret's families in the wikitree linked above. This period of the 19th C should be easier to research as more records are available online.

Have you researched anything so far on James Daniels? Did he have more children, for example? Marriage showing for him in 1910 in Edinburgh. I think there were at least 4 children born to them. Birth index shows their entries between 1911 - 1917.

The fact that your mother gave James Daniels and wife Mary (Fingland) as her parents on her marriage registration does imply she was raised by them. They also show on her death registration. Not sure how to determine the reasons why though  :-\ Guessing you had no contact with her family/your aunts in later years? Your last question (6) also touches on this issue of an informal 'adoption'.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 07 February 24 22:01 GMT (UK) »
The Valuation Rolls for 1920-25 show Henry at 18 Bath Street, Leith.

The Electoral Rolls show:

1926 Listing for Henry and Margaret at Bath Street. No building number given.

Frustratingly hard to be more certain without further sources.

For example, there is a 1935 entry in the ERs for a Mrs Margaret M Dickson and a Susan Dickson. By this year, Susan would be over 21 and able to vote. A possibility? Showing in a listing for 'Persons no longer qualified as electors'. Maybe moved away from that district?

These are all guesses really  ::)

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 07 February 24 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Death notice for your grandmother Margaret Mennie Law or Dickson (Edinburgh Evening News, 16 June 1982).

Added: Henry and Margaret showing on the electoral rolls at 16 Lochend Avenue for the period of at least 1939-59.

Offline DavKars Hobby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 07 February 24 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Agnes Dickson died in 1940 and Agnes Dickson Daniels died in 1953. If they are the same person, (both born in the same location on the same date so one can assume that) then the 1940 entry is a puzzle. Also if one of the Dickson daughters was adopted at the John Watson Institute, what happened to the rest and why? At least I now know who my grandfather was and have a photo but why there was the estrangement from my mother, I may never find out.

Thanks to all who contributed to this feed.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 08 February 24 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Which Agnes is your mum?

You have given us information here that linked Agnes, daughter of Henry Dickson and wife Margaret Mennie Law, to James Daniels and his wife Mary Fingland. You believe she was taken in and raised by James and Mary Daniels:

2. My mother was born with the surname Dickson and was the 5th daughter of Henry Dickson with no brothers. Her maiden name on the certificate when she married in 1943 was Dickson Daniels with her father as James Daniels, not Henry Dickson which suggests (to me) she was put up for adoption after she was born and adopted by the Daniels family for reasons currently unknown.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 08 February 24 21:02 GMT (UK) »
However, that does not seem to be the case. Your mother does look to be the daughter of James Daniels and Mary Fingland.

Have you researched anything so far on James Daniels? Did he have more children, for example? Marriage showing for him in 1910 in Edinburgh. I think there were at least 4 children born to them. Birth index shows their entries between 1911 - 1917.

You have the 1921 census entry for James Daniels you mentioned. Is his family with him to let you confirm children for them up to 1921?

However, I can't see so far a birth entry for Agnes on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk circa 1920-22.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 08 February 24 21:07 GMT (UK) »
I lost a bit of the previous post I realise...

The 1940 death reg is the correct death for Agnes b.1921, daughter of Henry Greig Dickson and Margaret Mennie Law. She died in hospital due to complications from tuberculous meningitis https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuberculous_meningitis Her usual address is the family home address we have above for the Dicksons, 16 Lochend Avenue. Father Henry reported her death.

Monica