Author Topic: German emigres to USA.  (Read 442 times)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
German emigres to USA.
« on: Thursday 08 February 24 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello Chatters.
I have followed the document trail concerning the brother of a direct ancestor who left Baden, (Germany) with his bride, and sailed from Le Havre, (France) landing in New York, (USA) in June 1852.

Many of the other passengers were also German.
I am musing on the WHY: what conditions might have precipitated this migration?
Economic, Religious, or Warfare spring to mind.....??

Also, HOW might the travellers have reached Le Havre from South Western Germany?
I guess they may reached the coast from Paris by boat along the Seine.... But how might they have reached that point? 

Does anyone have any relevant knowledge regarding emigration from Germany in mid 19th century?  All in put gratefully received.

Many thanks all.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: German emigres to USA.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 February 24 11:46 GMT (UK) »
I found this at

http://tinyurl.com/er2xwhny

The situation in Germany worsened when the start of industrialisation caused the population to grow dramatically. In the mid-19th century, around three quarters of farmers did not have enough land to make a living, hence they began migrating in huge numbers from 1816 – the start of official German mass emigration to the USA. The opportunities seemed too good to be true: A peasant farmer who had to survive on half a hectare of land in Germany could acquire 64 hectares after just ten years in the United States.

A lack of political prospects was also a motivational factor behind emigration. For many people, the failure of the Revolution of 1848 represented proof that common people were unlikely to gain any rights to freedom in Germany anytime in the near future, and as a result, many members of the left-wing liberal middle classes and their supporters emigrated to the USA – the so-called “48ers”.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 February 24 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant. Thank you Alan.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 February 24 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Over the course of a few generations many of my German relatives left from Rheinland-Pfalz (just north of Baden) to travel from America via Antwerp which I used to think was strange but was told that there were trains to Antwerp and the fares were more affordable. Perhaps there was an agent in Baden selling passages from from Le Havre (especially if they lived near the French border- wherever that was at the time.)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 February 24 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Over the course of a few generations many of my German relatives left from Rheinland-Pfalz (just north of Baden) to travel from America via Antwerp which I used to think was strange but was told that there were trains to Antwerp and the fares were more affordable. Perhaps there was an agent in Baden selling passages from from Le Havre (especially if they lived near the French border- wherever that was at the time.) 

Yes, perhaps, but right across France is a  l-o-n-g  way! 
But then, if they had a good train service in 1852....
I must try to check that out. Thank you.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 February 24 12:05 GMT (UK) »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_rail_transport_in_France

I found this..... Looks quite possible by train I think.....

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 February 24 15:44 GMT (UK) »
I think the Rhine is going too far away from Le Havre to be considered.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 February 24 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Rhine to Amsterdam or Rotterdam.
Coastal shipping to Le Havre.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)