Author Topic: William Brailsford Smith of Chesterfield  (Read 155 times)

Offline GaznDon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
William Brailsford Smith of Chesterfield
« on: Thursday 08 February 24 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone,

I'd like to find the grave of some ancestors who lived on Park Street, but the surname of Smith is making it harder for me.

Can anyone suggest a local churchyard where they might be buried, please? I know that Hasland cemetery is near to where they lived, but a search for William in there has drawn a blank so far.

Thanks in advance,
GaznDon
ADAMS, AVENELL, BOLDOCK, CUBLEY, DARWENT, GILES, GREATOREX, HEATHCOTE, HILL, HOMER, HUNTER, INGALL, LANGSDALE, MOODY, MOORE, PINDER, QUICK, REVILL, REYNOLDS, SHAW, TYSON, WAGSTAFF, WALKER, WATSON, WHITE, UNDY.<br /><br />Derbys, Leics, Lincs, Notts, Wilts (Highworth), Worcs (Stourbridge), Yorks (Sheffield, Rotherham).  
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: William Brailsford Smith of Chesterfield
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 February 24 23:24 GMT (UK) »
You need to give some clue as to dates when these ancestors died

Wm B Smith was b 1856 - seems to have died 1913

1911 shows Park St Birdholme

If you have their actual dates of death you could try ringing the records office but they may charge a fee
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 February 24 07:17 GMT (UK) »
Looking for a funeral notice, I found this. The same man?

September 1901: Sheffield Daily Telegraph

SERIOUS CHARGE AGAINST A MINERS' OFFICIAL.
At Chesterfield, on Saturday, William Brailsford Smith, who, since the formation of the Old Avenue Lodge of the Derbyshire Miners' Association, has filled the position of treasurer, was charged with embezzling £3 17s., the moneys of the Derbyshire Miners' Association, of which he was bailee. The evidence of Charles Frederick. Brough, president, and William Anderson, secretary, respectively, of the lodge, deposed that the prisoner received the subscriptions of the lodge members, and absconded with the sum stated above. He was arrested at Barnsley. – The prisoner: I plead guilty to the fact that I haven't brought the money up to the proper amount, but I haven't absconded or embezzled. He was committed for trial at the Assizes.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline GaznDon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 February 24 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much Carole and Alan.

Carole, yes William died in 1913 (although I don't know the exact date yet) and they did live in Birdholme, thank you.

I'm trying to find out when William's wife Mary died, all I know so far is that it was in 1921 or later. There are so many Mary Smiths!

Alan, yes that's the same man and I'm pleased to say that he was exonerated in the end.

Thanks again. ☺️
ADAMS, AVENELL, BOLDOCK, CUBLEY, DARWENT, GILES, GREATOREX, HEATHCOTE, HILL, HOMER, HUNTER, INGALL, LANGSDALE, MOODY, MOORE, PINDER, QUICK, REVILL, REYNOLDS, SHAW, TYSON, WAGSTAFF, WALKER, WATSON, WHITE, UNDY.<br /><br />Derbys, Leics, Lincs, Notts, Wilts (Highworth), Worcs (Stourbridge), Yorks (Sheffield, Rotherham).  
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk