Author Topic: Malachy Fallon (1819 ?-1884) and Bridget Mulligan (1816?-1896)  (Read 1556 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Malachy Fallon (1819 ?-1884) and Bridget Mulligan (1816?-1896)
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 10 February 24 06:27 GMT (UK) »
Great to hear your news, SHRYL. I am sure you will enjoy the experience in June - getting in touch with your roots.

Thanks also to Wexflyer for the recent research and comments.

Best wishes
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 10 February 24 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you shanreagh.
I realise that I have repeated records etc but that was purposely done as some of it was not discussed - only posted on the other thread.
As you can see, at times it is a bit of a puzzle which needs careful unpicking.

Here’s my next - and perhaps last - question.
We haven’t yet traced Catherine Ward Fallon, wife of Loughlin/Laughlin according to one birth record.
Would it be possible to for a whole year date error in the probate records?
I hinted at this, in the other thread highlighted again by shanreagh but it wasn’t taken up.

There is a death record for Loughlin Fallon, died 9th July 1883, Ballyglass and a probate record for Malachy Fallon, died 6th July 1884, Ballyglass.

I am not concerned about repeating records...just wish we did not have to do it or that the links had been posted by OP at the time the second thread was opened. 
I think the work that you and the others is marvelous

Offline SHRYL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 11 February 24 01:09 GMT (UK) »
Here is my considered take on this Malachy - Loughlin conundrum.

I think they are separate people.

The key clue lies in both the 1870 civil and parish records for the marriage of Catherine Fallon.
One of the witnesses is also Catherine Fallon, and the parish record says her address is also Ballyglass.
Obviously she can't be a sister. So can only be a cousin, or her mother (Catherine Ward). Either way, I think this proves that there had to be TWO Fallon families in Ballyglass.

Add in the two different dates of death for Malachy and Loughlin, the different spouses, and the different entries in Griffith's, and I think they have to be different people.

I think I agree with you regarding the two: Malachy, Loughlin Fallon as two separate people. My problem being which one is which?  And which one had a son Malachy mentioned in the probate of 1884? Why change a name??? I will look further into Catherine Fallon as well, as Malachy and Bridget were mentioned in her marriage notice. But I can't find her birth notice. On further investigation I think there were two Catherine Fallons. One born in 1831?(Married to John Geraghty)  and one born in 1842? And I have Malachy Fallon b 1819? completely off base!! Dates dont work..... you can't take for granted some of the information on Ancestry.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 11 February 24 09:14 GMT (UK) »
With regard to Catherine married to John Geraghty.
She presents another query.
Married in 1870 - already posted elsewhere.

Here is the birth of a son Peter in 1885. Would Catherine be 54 yrs old (1831) or 44 yrs old (1841)?
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1885/02634/1971709.pdf

John Geraghty, 59 yrs in 1901 - married but no Catherine)
https://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Roscommon/Mote/Moneymore/1669546/

He is a widower in 1911
https://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Roscommon/Mote/Moneymore/783262/

Query - Catherine’s whereabouts in 1901 and death 1901 - 1911.

I think Catherine was born 1841.

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 12 February 24 02:20 GMT (UK) »
Literally dozens of court appearances - at least 64 - by those notorious and hardened criminals, the Fallons of Ballyglass!

'Tis no wonder the whole crew were transported!  ;)

BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 12 February 24 02:53 GMT (UK) »
The Mulligans, by contrast, seem to have been the Queen's most loyal, dutiful and obedient subjects.

Maybe one or two entries with distorted address, not clear if any at all.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 12 February 24 02:56 GMT (UK) »
With regard to Catherine married to John Geraghty.
She presents another query.
Married in 1870 - already posted elsewhere.

Here is the birth of a son Peter in 1885. Would Catherine be 54 yrs old (1831) or 44 yrs old (1841)?
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1885/02634/1971709.pdf

John Geraghty, 59 yrs in 1901 - married but no Catherine)
https://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Roscommon/Mote/Moneymore/1669546/

He is a widower in 1911
https://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Roscommon/Mote/Moneymore/783262/

Query - Catherine’s whereabouts in 1901 and death 1901 - 1911.

I think Catherine was born 1841.

This is the marriage in question. The one that shows two Catherine Fallons in Ballyglass at the same time.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1870/11372/8175678.pdf

Heywood - why do you say that Catherine born 1831, or 41? Is that repeating OP for one date?
Was either date ever established via a baptism record?

1831 is obviously impossible for this Catherine. Even 1841 is pushing it.

No sign in census, no sign of death.

Offline SHRYL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 12 February 24 07:31 GMT (UK) »
Literally dozens of court appearances - at least 64 - by those notorious and hardened criminals, the Fallons of Ballyglass!

'Tis no wonder the whole crew were transported!  ;)
Not only the Fallons of Ballyglass but the Heffernans of Mooghaun aren't doing all that well either!!
heaven help us !! no wonder I can't find any definite history. I may have to leave well enough alone and appreciate the ancestors who  finished up here......

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 12 February 24 07:34 GMT (UK) »
Wexflyer,
I am mentioning 1831 because SHRYL mentions it here - just before my post. The one married to John Geraghty is not likely to be born in 1831.
That’s all I was saying!

I think I agree with you regarding the two: Malachy, Loughlin Fallon as two separate people. My problem being which one is which?  And which one had a son Malachy mentioned in the probate of 1884? Why change a name??? I will look further into Catherine Fallon as well, as Malachy and Bridget were mentioned in her marriage notice. But I can't find her birth notice. On further investigation I think there were two Catherine Fallons. One born in 1831?(Married to John Geraghty)  and one born in 1842? And I have Malachy Fallon b 1819? completely off base!! Dates dont work..... you can't take for granted some of the information on Ancestry.