Author Topic: Malachy Fallon (1819 ?-1884) and Bridget Mulligan (1816?-1896)  (Read 1557 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Malachy Fallon (1819 ?-1884) and Bridget Mulligan (1816?-1896)
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 February 24 17:06 GMT (UK) »
I have only seen where it is e.g. Pat(Andrew) etc where both names are given.
Catherine Fallon’s marriage shows the two names:
The parish record -with both parents -  Malachy and Bridget and the civil record, with father, Laughlin.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 February 24 17:16 GMT (UK) »

There is a Patrick born to Laughlin Fallon and Cath. Ward in January 1847, that I mentioned too.
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633974#page/40/mode/1up

And there is, of course, the death of Loughlin Fallon, informant, son ‘My’, the year prior to the probate/death of Malachy Fallon.

I will post it again, here
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1883/06352/4822323.pdf

I took both of these as strong evidence that Loughlin and Malachy were two separate people.
Along with the separate listings in Griffiths.

In particular the baptism of Patrick. Hard to argue that one away. Not only is the father Laughlin, but mother is different.

BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 February 24 17:41 GMT (UK) »
One problem we can't get around is that of a non-zero error rate in these records. In my own family I am aware of at least 6 examples of incorrect details on marriage records - 4 where the name of the spouse(!) or father is incorrect, and two where the father's occupation is incorrect. I can say that because they are my family and I know enough to know that the records are incorrect. But in a case like this, who is to say?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 09 February 24 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Here is my considered take on this Malachy - Loughlin conundrum.

I think they are separate people.

The key clue lies in both the 1870 civil and parish records for the marriage of Catherine Fallon.
One of the witnesses is also Catherine Fallon, and the parish record says her address is also Ballyglass.
Obviously she can't be a sister. So can only be a cousin, or her mother (Catherine Ward). Either way, I think this proves that there had to be TWO Fallon families in Ballyglass.

Add in the two different dates of death for Malachy and Loughlin, the different spouses, and the different entries in Griffith's, and I think they have to be different people.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 09 February 24 18:12 GMT (UK) »
From Father Patrick Woulfe's Irish Names and Surnames (1923): 

https://www.libraryireland.com/names/men/maeleachlainn-maelsheachlainn-melaghlin.php

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 09 February 24 18:33 GMT (UK) »
From Father Patrick Woulfe's Irish Names and Surnames (1923): 

https://www.libraryireland.com/names/men/maeleachlainn-maelsheachlainn-melaghlin.php

Good catch! Thank you, I still have something to learn. Some of these equivalences defy understanding. Maybe I have to reverse course, but not clear - there is now evidence both ways.

But what of the other points, in particular, the two Catherines in the same townland?

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 09 February 24 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Bearing in mind that some deaths might not be registered or too early for Irish genealogy.

This is all repetition, sorry.
This birth has been put forward for the death of Bridget Mulligan Fallon
1896 widow - informant - son Malachy Fallon both of Ballyglass.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1896/05906/4676071.pdf

Five years later - 1901 census
Malachy Fallon - Ballyglass
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Roscommon/Scregg/Ballyglass/1670143/
His marriage - can anyone read the father’s name?
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1883/10926/5992339.pdf

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 09 February 24 19:27 GMT (UK) »

His marriage - can anyone read the father’s name?
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1883/10926/5992339.pdf

A 'RootsIreland' transcript of the church record of marriage says Malachy, I see 'Lacky' in the above civil registration.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 09 February 24 19:50 GMT (UK) »
 :) Thanks Gaffy. I can see it now but just could not work it out. I even thought it  might be Timothy  ::)