Author Topic: Malachy Fallon (1819 ?-1884) and Bridget Mulligan (1816?-1896)  (Read 1576 times)

Offline SHRYL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Malachy Fallon (1819 ?-1884) and Bridget Mulligan (1816?-1896)
« Reply #36 on: Monday 12 February 24 07:53 GMT (UK) »
With regard to Catherine married to John Geraghty.
She presents another query.
Married in 1870 - already posted elsewhere.

Here is the birth of a son Peter in 1885. Would Catherine be 54 yrs old (1831) or 44 yrs old (1841)?
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1885/02634/1971709.pdf

John Geraghty, 59 yrs in 1901 - married but no Catherine)
https://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Roscommon/Mote/Moneymore/1669546/

He is a widower in 1911
https://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Roscommon/Mote/Moneymore/783262/

Query - Catherine’s whereabouts in 1901 and death 1901 - 1911.

I think Catherine was born 1841.

This is the marriage in question. The one that shows two Catherine Fallons in Ballyglass at the same time.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1870/11372/8175678.pdf

Heywood - why do you say that Catherine born 1831, or 41? Is that repeating OP for one date?
Was either date ever established via a baptism record?

1831 is obviously impossible for this Catherine. Even 1841 is pushing it.

No sign in census, no sign of death.

I never did get a Baptism record for Catherine. But I agree she would be closer to being born 1841. She would have been the first born for Malachy Fallon and Bridget Mulligan. with Patrick being born in 1849 and none others that i could find. The rest followed after Patrick. That is a big gap between first born and second. And I never did get a marriage notice for Malachy and  Bridget.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 12 February 24 08:26 GMT (UK) »
I mentioned elsewhere the baptism of Michael Fallon, 12th September 1844, Kiltomb parish with parents, Malachid (transcription) and Biddy Mullahan.

Trees have Michael Fallon b 1864
There is a baptism but the parents are Gulielmi (William) and Maria (Mary) Mulligan.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 12 February 24 08:28 GMT (UK) »
Not only the Fallons of Ballyglass but the Heffernans of Mooghaun aren't doing all that well either!!
heaven help us !! no wonder I can't find any definite history. I may have to leave well enough alone and appreciate the ancestors who  finished up here......

I was joking. You should be proud of two Irish patriot families, who did their bit!
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 12 February 24 08:40 GMT (UK) »
I mentioned elsewhere the baptism of Michael Fallon, 12th September 1844, Kiltomb parish with parents, Malachid (transcription) and Biddy Mullahan.

Trees have Michael Fallon b 1864
There is a baptism but the parents are Gulielmi (William) and Maria (Mary) Mulligan.

I omitted a birth for Catherine to the same couple - William and Mary Mulligan (but record is in Latin) 13th May 1850. Not that it helps!
I have found the record (not in Catholic registers on Ancestry) and just post it to show that the records are difficult to read/transcribe so there may be omissions for your family.
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633974#page/50/mode/1up

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 12 February 24 08:46 GMT (UK) »
I omitted a birth for Catherine to the same couple - William and Mary Mulligan (but record is in Latin) 13th May 1850. Not that it helps!
I have found the record (not in Catholic registers on Ancestry) and just post it to show that the records are difficult to read/transcribe so there may be omissions for your family.
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633974#page/50/mode/1up

It may help - that Catherine Fallon is a candidate to be the second Catherine on the 1870 marriage. Could be a cousin on either or both sides. And baptism is in same parish.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 12 February 24 09:38 GMT (UK) »

A Michael Fallon appears as a defense witness for Malachy Fallon of Ballyglass in one of the court cases.
Also a Michael Fallon of Ballyglass appears as a defendant in same records.
This Michael could be son of Malachy (born 1844), or William (born 1864).

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 12 February 24 12:01 GMT (UK) »
That piece of paper for the possible records needs to be very big!

Marriage 1875 - Michael Fallon (father Malachy) and Ellen Dowling
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1875/11196/8102855.pdf

Unfortunately, the parish record doesn’t record any parents

Baptism 24th February 1878
Patrick - Michael and Ellen, Ballyglass -sponsor Catherine Fallon

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633976#page/100/mode/1up

Catherine Fallon Geraghty was already married at this time

Offline jrc11

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 12 February 24 12:39 GMT (UK) »
This may be irrelevant and just confuse the issue but on Feb 17 1881 a Malachy Fallon married Elizabeth Campbell in Strokestown. Elizabeth was my grandfather's sister. I have transcripts of the civil and church records. On the civil record Malachy is shown as aged 30 from Culleen and his father as Thomas, a butcher. The church record shows he is from Killinvoy, his father is Thomas and his mother is Catherine Nally. Elizabeth's father was Edward as shown on the civil record but the church record says Michael which is incorrect. They had one son Joseph born in 1884 who I believe died with no issue -see topic rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=765907.9
Campbell Roscommon
Miles Wiltshire
Hitchings Wiltshire
Hole Somerset
Shaughnessy Roscommon

Offline SHRYL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 01:02 GMT (UK) »

A Michael Fallon appears as a defense witness for Malachy Fallon of Ballyglass in one of the court cases.
Also a Michael Fallon of Ballyglass appears as a defendant in same records.
This Michael could be son of Malachy (born 1844), or William (born 1864).

I have just gone over all of my records regarding Malachy Fallon and I have come to the conclusion that I have mislead some of the data  I have given. I am unsure of Malachy's birth? unsure of Malachy and Bridget Marriage? I am sure of Patrick, John, Malachy jnr, Brigidiam birth dates , unsure of Michael? and Catherine? I feel the farm was in Rahara parish as Griffith Valuation has Malachy with John and Michael Mulligan as well as John Meely who was sponsor at John's baptism.
An assumption I know but that is all I have to go on. I also checked the court entries and it seems Malachy was up for trespassing. I also noted he kept his sheep dog registration going - a definite plus. Again I have to thank you all for helping and pointing out my discrepancies in dates etc. I need to double check everything I find. needles in haystacks come to mind.