Author Topic: RAMC officer in WW1  (Read 578 times)

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RAMC officer in WW1
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 February 24 22:08 GMT (UK) »
A lengthy obituary in the Hampshire Advertiser (11 April 1936) includes this paragraph about his war service:

Thanks. All good information to know.

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 February 24 22:43 GMT (UK) »
I struggled to find out much on the National Archives catalogue.
Ancestry has the Medical Register which will tell you where he qualified and if you work your way back and forth through the years will give his career as a civilian.
He should have a mention in Peterkin, A., and Drew, R, 1968: Commissioned officers in the medical services of the British Army, 1660-1960
You might find out more through War Diaries though he's unlikely to be mentioned by name.
The relevant museum might be able to help: https://www.museumofmilitarymedicine.org.uk/
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 February 24 10:15 GMT (UK) »
I took a look in the Peterson and Drew directory - it looked very promising until I noticed the online version had a gap between 1914 and 1917. That was a bit unfortunate - I wonder what happened there?

Ancestry did not provide too much further information. He went to Cranleigh School and was there on the 1901 census and then started at Birkbeck College in 1904. He's still a medical student in 1911 at St Thomas's according to the census. I have him in a medical directory as a Lieutenant in the Cheshire Brigade of the RFA in 1914. On a RAMC medal roll in 1918 (not sure which medal) I note he is listed as disembarking on 21/11/1915 - I'm not sure what that means. He had married in London in April of that year.   

I was hoping to find him in Shardlow in 1921 - he was certainly working in the area at that time.

When Gutteridge left Shardlow in 1925, he was replaced by Dr Henry Cooke Bell and his wife Dr Mary Bell, both from Belfast and they lived in the area becoming very popular and respected community members. I know that Dr Henry Bell was studying medicine at Queen's when war broke out and he served in the ranks for the duration of the war - I was told he turned down a commission by a local historian. He later completed his medical qualification in 1919. I have to investigate his story too but I did find his eldest son (who had been born at the house that links these people) listed in the Peterson and Drew RAMC directory - he later rose to the rank of colonel.

Anyway, hopefully I can find more about Bernard Gutteridge and his military service.

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 10 February 24 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Might be worth contacting Cranleigh. They may well know more. I can't see a direct link to an archivist, but they may well have one.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 10 February 24 10:33 GMT (UK) »
I was hoping to find him in Shardlow in 1921 - he was certainly working in the area at that time.

He's in Southampton with the Baxters in 1921

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=GBC%2F1921%2FRG15%2F23826%2F0111%2F04
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 10 February 24 10:39 GMT (UK) »
ShaunJ just beat me to it, but in fact he is in Yorkshire.

What I was going to post:

Bernard G Gutteridge in 1921
Can't say too much but there is such a person, a son-in-law with the expected employment and place of work, visiting the Baxter family in Yorkshire.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 10 February 24 10:43 GMT (UK) »
ShaunJ just beat me to it, but in fact he is in Yorkshire.

That was a bad error on my part - thanks Alan ! Must get new glasses....
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 10 February 24 10:44 GMT (UK) »
On a RAMC medal roll in 1918 (not sure which medal) I note he is listed as disembarking on 21/11/1915 - I'm not sure what that means
Officers & men who were entitled to the 14/15 Star had their qualifying date entered on their
Medal Roll.
This is the date they arrived in a theatre of war.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 10 February 24 10:56 GMT (UK) »
My interest in this primarily relates to the address - The Villa, Shardlow, Derby.

Another medic at The Villa, Shardlow:

17 September 1914, Sheffield Daily Telegraph
WILLS OF TO-DAY
Mr John Augustus Hogg, of The Villa, Shardlow, Derbyshire, physician and surgeon, Medical Officer of Health for the Shardlow and Castle Donington Rural Districts, Medical Inspector Schoolchildren, Derby County Council, died intestate £1,781
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon