Author Topic: Walker's of Eakring and beyond  (Read 392 times)

Offline Sarah J Walker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Walker's of Eakring and beyond
« on: Friday 09 February 24 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I posted to the wrong board. Please see below:

Hello All

I'm researching my Walker family line and I have come to a bit of a stop. I have traced the line back to Eakring and Normanton on Trent but cannot seem to get any further back from there.  My line is as follows:

Grand father - Cyril Albert b1904(5) Nottingham Lived with Rose Alice Kirk (nee Potter)
1x Ggf - Albert Edward b1878(79), Nottingham. Married Lenora Mary Williamson
2x Ggf - Luke b1848, Eakring. Married Sarah Woodward
3x Ggf - George b1800, Eakring. Married Mary Ancliffe/Hancliff (surname unclear on records)
4x Ggf - John b1759, Eakring. Married Mary Richards
5x Ggf - William b1737, Weston (but believe lived in Eakring). Married Ellen Hurt
6x Ggf - Richard b1682 Normanton on Trent. Married Ruth Shepherd (nee Wright)
7x Ggf - Richard b1649 Normanton on Trent. Married Elizabeth Hind(e)

I have read here on Roots chat a few other 'Walker of Eakring' lines which have helped me to confirm my line up to 5x William.  However, I was wondering if anyone could help me trace the line back further from 7x Richard? Did my 8x great grandfather come from Normanton on Trent or surrounding areas/further afield? Does any on my line still live in Eakring?

Thank you and best wishes
Sarah

Offline Watson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Walker's of Eakring and beyond
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 February 24 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Sarah,

Do check the Nottinghamshire Protestation Returns, 1641/2, if you have not already done so.  They will show the distribution of Walker in the county, as well as indicating who was living in Normanton and Eakring specifically (males over 18).  They were edited and published by W.F. Webster in 1980.  They may also be online.

Offline Sarah J Walker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 February 24 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Thank you for reply and sending this information. I will certainly check this out as did not realise this existed.

Really appreciated
Sarah

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 February 24 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Not the information that you are seeking, but I thought that you might be interested in this anyway. In the 1840 tithe records for Eakring there are three Walkers named as occupiers: George, William and Richard. Possibly George is your George?

This George Walker appears as "with others" at plot 107 which is listed as a subdivision of "Losky Hill Field" and described as "Cottages and Gardens". I can't reproduce the image of the tithe map, but the plot is just over 1 acre, and was located at the corner of the modern Church Lane and Tenters Lane as shown in the satellite image below. (The yellow line shows the outline of the whole plot and the hatched box is the approximate site of a building that is marked on the tithe map, presumably the cottages.)

And on this linked view of the 1900 large scale OS map there is a block of five cottages, running north-south, three large and two smaller, in the top LH corner of the same plot which have exactly the same footprint as that seen on the tithe map. So that's them.

http://tinyurl.com/2du576f8

ADDED: clarification, I’m not suggesting that the 19th century cottages are still there today: indeed the 1919 large scale OS map shows a terrace of three houses at that position, and I think they are the houses that are there now.

Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline Sarah J Walker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 February 24 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Oh Wow, thank you so much for sending this Alan, I had no idea.  I will certainly look into this as I do actually like looking at maps (old and new) to see where things are located.

Best wishes
Sarah

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 February 24 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi
It looks like there is a Thomas Walker with a son George born 1604 bapt 2.1.1604
There is a John Walker of Bratts Close 1625 mentioned .
A Richard Walker who died 1639.A labourer but he made a Will available at Nottingham Archives
Another Richard buried 23.6.1688
Alice wife of John buried 29.8.1691 and presumably her husband 23.5.1708
Given that Richard and Elizabeth had more than one son John ,John and Alice may be his parents.

I'm not sure if Hearth tax records have survived from the 1660s for Nottinghamshire

Hope that helps
Ciderdrinker

Offline Sarah J Walker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 February 24 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you 'Ciderdrinker' this is great information and I will certainly follow up on this.

Best wishes
Sarah

Offline Watson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 February 24 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Ciderdrinker wrote:

"I'm not sure if Hearth tax records have survived from the 1660s for Nottinghamshire."

Some have and were published by the Thoroton Society: Nottinghamshire Hearth Tax, 1664: 1674,  edited by W. F. Webster.

Offline Sarah J Walker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 February 24 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ciderdrinker

I have been going through the information that you sent regarding the Walker's and I am struggling to cross check the names and dates. I was wondering if you could help clarify a few things for me please?

1) Are the people you mention (see below) located in Eakring, Marnham, Weston or Normanton on Trent?
2) 'Richard and Elizabeth' is this relating to Elizabeth Hinde or Elizabeth Bowler? There are quite a few 'Richard' in my tree at this level so it's difficult to decipher which one is which, especially as my 6x Richard's first wife was Elizabeth Bowler so their details over shadow Elizabeth Hinde when searching.

3) Who are John and Alice parents too? Is this Richard Walker (b1649) who is married to Elizabeth Hinde?  This Richard has 2 brothers called John - is this who you are referring to as 'more than one son John'? If so, this will help confirm some of my findings moving forward.

""It looks like there is a Thomas Walker with a son George born 1604 bapt 2.1.1604
There is a John Walker of Bratts Close 1625 mentioned .
A Richard Walker who died 1639.A labourer but he made a Will available at Nottingham Archives
Another Richard buried 23.6.1688
Alice wife of John buried 29.8.1691 and presumably her husband 23.5.1708
Given that Richard and Elizabeth had more than one son John ,John and Alice may be his parents""

Thank you,
Best wishes

Sarah