Author Topic: The death of a hero’s wife:  (Read 1126 times)

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
The death of a hero’s wife:
« on: Friday 09 February 24 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon everyone…
Please may I ask if anyone can provide me with an approximate date concerning the death of the wife of one of my regimental heroes.  I would just like to know if she died before or after 1841.   
I created an Ancestry tree for Anne, and this is her URL.  Anne Tayton - Facts (ancestry.ca)  Unfortunately, I was working on possible documents linked to her when my subscription ran out.  I still have access to the tree, but I’m not allowed to open the documents or do research.
https://www.ancestry.ca/family-tree/person/tree/176311746/person/302287879968/facts

For those who do not have Ancestry…  The story goes…
Ralph Fraser served in the 3rd Regiment of Foot Guards, and I am trying to determine if he was suffering from Combat Stress, (PTSD) perhaps following the Battle of Waterloo.  He was demobbed in 1818. 
A possible marriage for Anne and Ralph is the 28 of April 1818.  Birth unknown, Anne Tayton had a possible father called George.  Two children called George Ralph Fraser and Ann Martha Fraser, unfortunately, both died before 1826.   Had Anne also died before 1841, then this war-veteran could have been in a terrible state.
On the 12th of January 1841, he was enrolled as one of Queen Victoria’s Almsmen, and this post could have been given to him by the Chaplin of the Royal Chelsea Hospital. 

Thanks in advance.
Regards…, Iain.
McArthur - Campbeltown and Tiree Scotland
Black - Campbeltown Scotland - Rathlin Ireland
MacFarlane - Tiree
Wood / Boorman / Gimber / Lee... KENT
Dennett / Mase / Varrier /  Over... KENT

Online ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The death of a hero’s wife:
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 February 24 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi
On the 1841 census they seem to be together at St George's Row
Ralph Frazer 58 army pensioner y
Ann 60
Mary William 18 dressmaker y
Sarah Bailey 20 FS y

By 1851 he is at West St with niece
Ralph 68 widower Chelsea pensioner Pimlico
Mary Ann 28 dressmaker Lambeth niece.
so Anne must have died 1841-1851

She seems to have been buried age 61 12.8.1842 at St Margarets Westminster  of St Georges Row.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 February 24 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Ciderdrinker…, that’s very interesting. 

As far as I can recall, I didn’t have that info before my subscription ran out.

Speculating, she could have been ill before he got the job at Westminster Abbey in 1841.  And having already lost his two children, he would obviously have been ‘down in the dumps.’
He was someone who liked a good drink and a brawl, according to his RHQ documents, meaning that on finding comfort via a bottle, the church could have given him some assistance. (during his service, he was the most decorated soldier in the British Army)   

Ciderdrinker…, thank you for your time.
…, Iain.   ;)
MacFarlane - Tiree

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 February 24 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Iain

Not to do with his wife, but have you got Ralph Fraser's burial details at the Brompton Cemetery?

See https://portal.royalparks.org.uk/LANSA/TRP/TRPw0005.html

His entry will give you links to his entry on the burial register (click on the 'i) and also a specific location button to his grave at the cemetery (thanks to google mapping services  ::)).

Fraser is one of those surnames where you need to try with an S or Z. This index entry is with an S.

Connected family member has left a note on his entry on www.findagrave.com/memorial/221943851/ralph-fraser

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 February 24 00:02 GMT (UK) »
There is a George Tayton rattling around. Wondering if he could connect as a brother to Ann. Possibility that he could have been one of the witnesses at Ann's marriage to Ralph Fraser.

This is his 1841 census entry in St Margaret's Middlesex:

Geo Tayton 50 coach maker jouneyman
Mary Ann Tayton 40 born outside of the county
George Tayton 20
Mary Ann Tayton 17
Ann Tayton 12
Emma Tayton 6

The 1851 census has him born in St Georges, Middlesex c. 1791. Wife Mary Ann was from Gloucestershire.

He looks to have married Mary Ann Walmerley on 21 Mar 1819 at Saint James, Paddington. There is a Tayton witness to the marriage. Can't quite make out the first name. See clip below.

Also, buried at Brompton Cemetery on 7 Oct 1859. You can see his burial entry on the register on the link above. His address showing as 3 Buckingham Row. Also buried there is his Mary Ann who died in 1857.

When using the search screen on the website, just put in Tayton and you will see all 8 entries at the cemetery.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 February 24 00:34 GMT (UK) »
Re George Tayton born c.1791, his son George Walmesley Tayton, a coach maker like his father, married a Lucy Atkins in 1842.

One of their sons, born 3rd Qrt 1854 in St Pancras, was named Ralph Frasier Tayton...

Monica

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 February 24 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Iain

Not to do with his wife, but have you got Ralph Fraser's burial details at the Brompton Cemetery?

See https://portal.royalparks.org.uk/LANSA/TRP/TRPw0005.html

His entry will give you links to his entry on the burial register (click on the 'i) and also a specific location button to his grave at the cemetery (thanks to google mapping services  ::)).

Fraser is one of those surnames where you need to try with an S or Z. This index entry is with an S.

Connected family member has left a note on his entry on www.findagrave.com/memorial/221943851/ralph-fraser

Monica  :)
Very interesting Monica…, thank you.
Yes, I have nearly all his details, principally because he was never out of the newspapers. (10 April 1862)   And as you say, that site is extremely interesting to use.
Lol…, this site too.  Much of what I already have on him is thanks to RootsChat…, including yourself a few years back.   ;)

My manuscript is now finished and I must now to ‘go back to school’ to learn Amazon. (‘free’ printing and marketing)
Keeping my fingers crossed for its publication before summer.

Thanks..., Iain.

PS  The newspaper cutting is from RHQ Wellington Barracks.

MacFarlane - Tiree

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 February 24 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Wow...,  :)   Just read your other two posts.  Some of it I have, but I'll need to research the remainder. 
MacFarlane - Tiree

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 February 24 17:32 GMT (UK) »
That’s interesting…  I have George being her father, so a sibling with the same name seems logical.

It’s a pain in the neck not having direct access to Ancestry.
I gave up my subscription about a year ago, as I was spending too much time on Ancestry while neglecting my manuscript.  Curiously enough, they still give me access to all my trees and they even allow me to add and modify.  But research is not allowed…, and it was about that time I was researching Anne’s family.

Lol…, for Vol2, I need to subscribe again.    ;)
MacFarlane - Tiree