Author Topic: The death of a hero’s wife:  (Read 1125 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: The death of a hero’s wife:
« Reply #18 on: Monday 12 February 24 18:58 GMT (UK) »
One more potential brother I would like to just mention is a Thomas Tayton born c.1776.

He married Ann Elizabeth Arnold in 1801 (St. Margaret's, Westminster, London). He shows on the 1841 and 1851 censuses working as a Toll Keeper.

He died in 1856 and is buried at Brompton Cemetery, immediately behind Ralph Fraser (assuming the geomapping online is correct on the site). A number of Taytons look to be buried in the same grave as Thomas, working with the Brompton Cemetery site. This includes a Frances Tayton buried in 1848 at the age of 65. I am wondering if this is Frances Corby who married Robert Tayton in 1813 (St James, Piccadilly /St James, Westminster, London)?

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 12 February 24 22:07 GMT (UK) »
It has been bugging me, not finding Robert Tayton on the censuses.

I have now found his entry with family for 1841 in St Margaret', Westminster. Ancestry have his surname as Pawson on the index:

Robert Pawton 55 Cook (?)
Frances Pawton 22
William Pawton 20
Frances Pawton 25
Jane Pawton 20

Address was Palace Street, which is what shows on the Electoral Rolls for Robert Tayton at this time.
Everyone born outside the county except for Robert.

Monica

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Monica…, good evening. 

Lol…, how do you do it ?  And where do you find all the time ?  32.375 posts is mind-boggling. 
Thank you.
In the meantime, I’m a bit of a thicky, and I’ll need some time to get my head around the info.  If you don’t mind, I’d like to get back to you during the weekend.

As I mentioned earlier, I’m now working on the Credits and Copyright pages.  As a matter of interest, I have been assisted by some of the world’s finest Waterloo experts, and ever since I discovered a scapegoat Courts-Martial in my Brigade, I have since had it on good authority that RHQ and the MOD will reinstate nearly 50 Waterloo Medals. 
However, I have for some time been saying to myself that RootsChat and my two genealogy clubs here in Belgium, have participated just as much as the historians.  Meaning that I intend to add a Credits page purely reserved for all you wonderful people.  Without you and all, my book would be worthless.

I intend writing to Admin this week..., probably tomorrow.
Thank you…, Iain.      ;)
McArthur - Campbeltown and Tiree Scotland
Black - Campbeltown Scotland - Rathlin Ireland
MacFarlane - Tiree
Wood / Boorman / Gimber / Lee... KENT
Dennett / Mase / Varrier /  Over... KENT

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Iain, a real labour of love here for you  :) You have worked so hard on it and are the driving force!

I fully understand you are head down at this point. It is important. Concentrate on that.

These new bits of details can wait till you clear the decks a bit  ;D

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 17 February 24 21:30 GMT (UK) »
For completeness and my curiousity.....

So, I happened to be walking into Brompton Cemetery yesterday by chance  ::). It is a beautifully maintained cemetery.

I found Ralph Fraser's grave location. There is a very small weathered stone marking the spot. No inscription as the stone is completely eroded. Sad really, so lost there.

His niece, Mary Ann Williams or Dearlove, daughter of Jane Tayton, arranged the burial there.

The location sited on https://portal.royalparks.org.uk/LANSA/TRP/TRPw0005.html is correct. Except the location of the bench has moved a bit looking at the photo of the location!

See below:

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 17 February 24 21:46 GMT (UK) »
I mentioned before that I though the grave of Thomas Tayton born c. 1776 and possible brother in law to Ralph Frasear was also located there. It is. Stone is also very worn but you can just make out the name of Thomas Tayton and wife Ann Arnold. From the Brompton Register site, their son Thomas Joseph was also buried in that lair in 1860.

Below are two photos. Firstly is the photo of Ralph Fraser's stone, just in front of Thomas Tayton and family. Next photo is a close up of Thomas Tayton stone.

In the first photo below, with all the graves, the darker stone on the right, next to Thomas and Ralph Fraser, is for who I think is another brother in law to Ralph, Robert Tayton (buried 1871, 85 years old). I thought they were all in the same Tayton grave, but they are separate but next to each other. Just increase size to see what can be read on Robert Tayton's family stone.

From the registers, buried in Robert Tayton's lair are:

1848 - Frances Corby, his wife
1858 - Jane Tayton, his daughter. Aged 41.
1884 - William Tayton, his son. Aged 66.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 17 February 24 21:55 GMT (UK) »
In the collection of death notices, I noticed one in particular which mentioned a nephew of Ralph Fraser's called J Tayton, living at 6 Hanover Street, Portsea.

His name was James Tayton born c. 1803 in St Ann's Soho, London. He married a Catherine Flood in Portsea in 1839. On the parish entry for the marriage, his father is given as a John Tayton, a clerk at
Somerset House.

1839 Marriage in Portsea www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:6NX6-JZHM

See also www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:68W7-Z28M

1861 Census entry www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MWMQ-BRS

One for another day....

Monica

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 18 February 24 15:07 GMT (UK) »
OMGoodness…  Thank you Monica. 
I’m sure you are totally unaware of what you’ve actually done…, and without exaggerating, I am certain that HRH The Duke of Kent will get to know. (he’s the Colonel of the Regiment)  Let me explain. 

Following the publication of my book, (perhaps in May) RHQ has promised to help a retired Scots Guards friend of mine who, as a hobby, cleans-up tombstones of fallen regimental comrades.   It is ‘programmed’ that he will preoccupy himself with the tombstone of the infamous Matthew Clay. 
This is premeditated because the BBC will surely be interested in the work, as it makes up part of my ambition to recover 49 Guards Brigade Waterloo Medals for the Guards Museum.  Of course, filming a clean tombstone will have a trickle-down effect in relation to public relations and recruitment.  But now…, there is more than one tombstone.  What an amazing discovery !  You are incredibly lucky to be within walking distance of the cemetery.     

At Hougoumont, (on Wellington’s forward right flank) Matthew Clay was in ‘my’ Light Company, (Left Flank) and Ralph had been one of the first to be transferred to reinforce the company.  In fact, Ralph made up part of the Colour Party…, and during the night prior to the battle, Brigade HQ had decided to transfer the whole battalion to the farm, because they knew that reinforcements would be impossible when squares were needed against Maréchal Ney’s Cavalry.  As a consequence, the Colours were abandoned, and the 3rd Company with the Colour Party including Ralph, was one of the first to be send down.  Ralph then found himself fighting alongside the young Matthew.  And he also provided a shoulder to hold back the second breach of the Northgate…, one of the most important events at Waterloo.   

Monica…, you have just added another page to my book, plus more hours of research to get my Fraser Ancestry tree up to scratch.  Lol…, and being a 76-year-old-thicky, that will take time. 

If you don’t mind, I would like to PM you because RootsChat didn’t reply to my message.  They are obviously very busy with so many members.     

Lol…, I’ll print out that tombstone and slip it under my pillow tonight.  ;D
Will need a few days to get my head around it all…, so no need to reply.  I’ll get back to you and this post next week. 

Have a nice week end.  Kind Regards…, Iain.   
McArthur - Campbeltown and Tiree Scotland
Black - Campbeltown Scotland - Rathlin Ireland
MacFarlane - Tiree
Wood / Boorman / Gimber / Lee... KENT
Dennett / Mase / Varrier /  Over... KENT