Author Topic: Where was Parrack, Huddersfield?  (Read 268 times)

Offline alfindit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where was Parrack, Huddersfield?
« on: Friday 09 February 24 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Quakers Benjamin Stead of Emley Park and Mary Brook of Longroid Bridge married at 'Parrack near Huddersfield' on April 5th 1772. There was a Friends' meeting house at Paddock near Huddersfield, but the record clearly says Parrack. Searches for Parrack have been fruitless. Was there such a place and, if so, does anyone know where it might be/have been?
Cheers,
Al

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where was Parrack, Huddersfield?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 February 24 19:34 GMT (UK) »
I think it's almost certainly going to be Paddock, especially if this was a record made some distance away relying on a strong local accent. Paddock is adjacent to Longroyd Bridge, and I think at that date was the only Quaker meeting in Huddersfield.

With Quaker records there's often the possibility of cross-checking an entry in multiple sources: there's the local meeting (in this case I'm assuming Paddock), the Monthly Meeting (Brighouse) and the Quarterly Meeting (Yorkshire). Births, marriages and deaths/burials were recorded locally, but often in the registers for the higher level meetings as well, so it would be worth trying to find all of these to see if they confirm it.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alfindit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 February 24 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Arthurk,

I have 3 sources that name the place as Parrack, one of those is a short note extracting the detail, but the other is very comprehensive and has 'A true copy, Joshua Marsden, register to Pontefract Monthly Meeting' written in the margin and contains a transcription of the oaths and also lists all the guests. I'd have though someone at Pontefract would have known his Paddock from his Parrack, though it does say '...assembly of the aforesaid people elders and in their meeting house at Parrack near Huddersfield', so it was held at a meeting house rather than a home.

The third source is a Quaker Wakefield ledger containing an alphabetical list of Quaker names and their associated events and again it says 'Parrack, near Huddersfield'.

It is odd, but as you say, it is probably Paddock and a victim of 'Chinese whispers'.

Offline Drosybont

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 February 24 20:18 GMT (UK) »
In a Huddersfield Local History document 'Discovering Old Huddersfield' part 4, on page 72, available online, under the heading Paddock it says: 

"In early records the name appears as 'Parrack' which is an old northern counties version of the word paddock meaning an enclosed field."

Drosybont
Hotham, Guilliatt, Brown, Winter, Buck, Webster, Mortimore
Richards, Meredith, Gower, Davies, Todd, Westmacott, Hill
Mid C19 Cardiff and Haverfordwest, the Marychurch family.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 February 24 20:20 GMT (UK) »
I'm not too sure of what meetings there were, but if Benjamin Stead was from the Emley area, perhaps he was a member of a meeting in or near Wakefield which reported to the Pontefract MM. So in this case the marriage could have been recorded in Paddock > Brighouse as well, particularly since that's where it might have taken place, and where Mary Brook could have been a member.

Added - nice find, Drosybont (posted while I was typing)
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Offline alfindit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 February 24 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Wow, Drosybont, that is amazing, thank you. I had considered it might be an old version of the place name, but was unable to find anything about it. Thanks again! :)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 February 24 20:25 GMT (UK) »
See also Joseph Wright's Dialect Dictionary - I'd thought it was just a matter of pronunciation, but maybe it goes a bit deeper:

https://archive.org/details/englishdialectdi04wrig/page/426/mode/2up?view=theater

Offline Drosybont

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 February 24 20:31 GMT (UK) »
I think I've come across puddock meaning toad, Shakespeare maybe?  Hence the term of abuse.  But parrock meaning enclosure seems more likely for a placename.

Drosybont
Hotham, Guilliatt, Brown, Winter, Buck, Webster, Mortimore
Richards, Meredith, Gower, Davies, Todd, Westmacott, Hill
Mid C19 Cardiff and Haverfordwest, the Marychurch family.

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 February 24 08:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I think you are right about it being Paddock but unfortunately a lot of the parishes had an area called Paddock. I have seen it used in Kirkheaton, Kirkburton, etc. & the Paddock being mentioned is in Huddersfield so it would have said Huddersfield not near Huddersfield so I think it would be one of those in the other parishes.
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb