Author Topic: 29th Regiment of Foot-Bartholomew Blake  (Read 252 times)

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
29th Regiment of Foot-Bartholomew Blake
« on: Friday 09 February 24 19:14 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if finding a solider who was active from 1729-1762 in the 29th (Worcestershire) Regiment of Foot is too far back in the records to find. I would like to know more about Bartholomew Blake. He married Martha Bowler (whose father or brother was Walter Bowler of Kinsale/Cork, Ireland) but I do not know when that happened. I have found a few military references in books (Ensign 1727, Lieut 1739, Captain 1750, Lieut Col 1762) and the Irish Deeds and Chancery records but not his military record. Any help would be appreciated.
Carey, McCabe, McKinnon, Barr, Curr, Templeton

Online GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 29th Regiment of Foot-Bartholomew Blake
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 February 24 22:52 GMT (UK) »
The Army Lists (now findable online) will enable you to trace his history with dates of commission and promotion. Hart's Army Lists loook much the same but as a private venture they also included details of officers' service, which battles they had fought in and so on.
If you haven't seen this guidance - it's worth a look
https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/british-army-officers-1913/
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 29th Regiment of Foot-Bartholomew Blake
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 February 24 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for the Army Lists tip and the link to the National Archives guide. It looks like the NA have a large amount of helpful information!
Carey, McCabe, McKinnon, Barr, Curr, Templeton